First spotting scope

TThomson5

FNG
Hey ladies. Would like to know any recommendations on a spotting scope. Will be my first spotter. Thank you in advance!

OP
TThomson5

TThomson5

FNG
did you settle on one yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Not yet! Having a hard time finding ones in stock so I can look through and feel. Leaning toward the Swarovski ats 65mm. Just want to make sure I like it! Any recommendations would be great!!

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
Not yet! Having a hard time finding ones in stock so I can look through and feel. Leaning toward the Swarovski ats 65mm. Just want to make sure I like it! Any recommendations would be great!!

There are many good options. good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

alisue91

FNG
Looks like there’s lots of good options in the classifieds section. Have you tried searching there? Might be able to find a sweet deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
TThomson5

TThomson5

FNG
Looks like there’s lots of good options in the classifieds section. Have you tried searching there? Might be able to find a sweet deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes I have been watching!! Thank you!!! Looking for the Swaro! 😂

I use Swaros and Leica for work. Fantastic but $$$. The. We bought some Mavens this year, can't really tell the difference.

I'm a huge fan of Tract. I have three of their rifle scopes and a set of 10x50 binos. If I were to buy a spotting scope for personal use it would be from them. The Schott HD glass is amazing. I can't tell much if a difference between my work 10×50 Swaros and my personal Tract binos. Also if you don't like the spotter, you can send it back.

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
If you can, spend some time behind a Kowa TSN553/554.
15-45X of alpha grade optics at just 28 oz. And at about half your budget.

How are these the Kowa TSN-553 15-45x55 PROMINAR Spotting Scope ? I was looking at the Razor HD 11-33x50 Angled Spotting Scope they are 25oz. Is there a huge difference besides the price?

lcpaul22

FNG
How are these the Kowa TSN-553 15-45x55 PROMINAR Spotting Scope ? I was looking at the Razor HD 11-33x50 Angled Spotting Scope they are 25oz. Is there a huge difference besides the price?
The razor is not the same quality of glass as is found in the kowa 553. In fact the glass in the 553 is second to none. The razor functions the same in terms of locating and verifying targets or animals but the function, color, distortion, and clarity will be not as good.

Most truck hunters don't seem to concern themselves with their glass or its quality. Once you become a more decerning hunter and experience the limitations of the equipment, you gain an appreciation for pieces that extend your capabilities.

For example, I took a vortex viper 65mm spotter in on my first sheep hunt. I sat side beside with a gentleman using an ed82. On 45 power with an hour till sundown, I could tell there was a dark animal on the ridge in front on me. With his spotter on 45 power, I could tell it was a large stone ram.

There is no cheating glass. Spending a couple more bucks cam save a lot of walking.

Ps - that spotter is gone and so is all my other forever- breaking vortex equipment.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

lcpaul22

FNG
Just realized this is a women's council thread. It showed up in my feed, I hope I am not out if line posting.

Good luck out there.

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
The razor is not the same quality of glass as is found in the kowa 553. In fact the glass in the 553 is second to none. The razor functions the same in terms of locating and verifying targets or animals but the function, color, distortion, and clarity will be not as good.

Most truck hunters don't seem to concern themselves with their glass or its quality. Once you become a more decerning hunter and experience the limitations of the equipment, you gain an appreciation for pieces that extend your capabilities.

For example, I took a vortex viper 65mm spotter in on my first sheep hunt. I sat side beside with a gentleman using an ed82. On 45 power with an hour till sundown, I could tell there was a dark animal on the ridge in front on me. With his spotter on 45 power, I could tell it was a large stone ram.

There is no cheating glass. Spending a couple more bucks cam save a lot of walking.

Ps - that spotter is gone and so is all my other forever- breaking vortex equipment.

Thank you 🙏 for the information!

If it is okay for a guy to reply I would add the following: I have a big old Swarovski ST-80. Too big for me to carry on wilderness hunts. Go small and light. While I don't have the Kowa Prominar, it certainly checks the small and light box and has had exceptional reviews re:image quality on several respected forums.

Second advice, personally I think the "foundation" (tripod & Head) are at least equal in importance to the scope, and they will weigh about as much as the scope; probably more if you purchase the small Kowa Prominar. I think it is easier to pick the scope than it is to match the tripod & head.

Third - form factor is important. I personally will not purchase a straight through scope for wilderness hunting. A straight through has several disadvantages, not the least of which is that it requires a taller tripod (and therefore heavier and less stable).

keller

WKR
I bought a kowa 77 from s&s archery. They have them on sale now.very happy with it.