First Spotting Scope

cayres67

FNG
hey there,
I am looking ot get into western style hunting and am looking ot get a spotting scope. I haev bowhunted whitetails and turkeys my whole life and am finally giving spot and stalk bowhunting a go. I have some vortex binoculars but i dont know much about spotting scopes. I was wondering what size and brand some of you would recommend for a beginner spotting scope

kowa is half the cost of swaro last time I checked, it's the ultimate value in spotting scope glass, the 554 the perfect size/weight/mag range for do all western backpack hunter, before that came along you were stuck between Nikon ed50 with 13-40x eyepiece on the light end or up to the 65mm pork chops lol...both of which I have but can't be bothered to flip them to grab the 554 as it would replace them both, it's kinda handy as I use the 664 for truck/range work and the ed50 still flies up the mountains with me, just save up, that's the spotter to have if you can only have one

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it is our pleasure to assist in discussing different options and opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have a few moments

OP
cayres67

cayres67

FNG
kowa is half the cost of swaro last time I checked, it's the ultimate value in spotting scope glass, the 554 the perfect size/weight/mag range for do all western backpack hunter, before that came along you were stuck between Nikon ed50 with 13-40x eyepiece on the light end or up to the 65mm pork chops lol...both of which I have but can't be bothered to flip them to grab the 554 as it would replace them both, it's kinda handy as I use the 664 for truck/range work and the ed50 still flies up the mountains with me, just save up, that's the spotter to have if you can only have one
Thanks for all the info. i think ill take your advice!

tdhanses

WKR
Personally I wouldn’t invest in a budget spotter after owning a few, I’d get a Kowa, Swaro, Leica, Meopta or Zeiss, even if you have to get used. Now if you must have one and have $800 burning a hole in your pocket Doug will known what the options are, don’t forget you’ll want a decent tripod and head as well.

But no matter what you do give Doug a call, even if you don’t buy from him.

Kurts86

WKR
I thought spotting scopes were some sort of requirement when I converted to western hunting a decade ago but the more experienced I have become I realize that I’m finding game with binoculars and spotting scopes are just a curiousity for 90% of situations. There are situations you need a spotting scope but if you are just starting off and are turned off by a $1500 suggestion you are better off to go without and pour money into Binoculars/tripods/boots/packs.

Spotting scopes are pretty low down the list of cost benefit if you are new to western hunting. That is they have relatively limited use during most hunts and their high magnification nature makes them finnicky to use a demands alpha tier glass to make them worth it. You also need a really good tripod to run a spotting scope and with that comes weight and cost. It’s a piece of gear that gets left at the truck/cabin after 1 day of mountain hunting more than any core piece of gear I’ve ever used.

tdhanses

WKR
It might sting for a little while, but it is the best play, and after some time it won't hurt at all.

I talk my TSN- 554 up every chance I get. The forum is probably sick of hearing from me. Spectacular optic...you won't regret it.
I love mine, only optic I won’t sell that I have, always in my pack come hunting season.

Beckjhong

WKR
I thought spotting scopes were some sort of requirement when I converted to western hunting a decade ago but the more experienced I have become I realize that I’m finding game with binoculars and spotting scopes are just a curiousity for 90% of situations. There are situations you need a spotting scope but if you are just starting off and are turned off by a $1500 suggestion you are better off to go without and pour money into Binoculars/tripods/boots/packs.

Spotting scopes are pretty low down the list of cost benefit if you are new to western hunting. That is they have relatively limited use during most hunts and their high magnification nature makes them finnicky to use a demands alpha tier glass to make them worth it. You also need a really good tripod to run a spotting scope and with that comes weight and cost. It’s a piece of gear that gets left at the truck/cabin after 1 day of mountain hunting more than any core piece of gear I’ve ever used.
This. If I were starting again, I wouldn’t buy a spotting scope until I had been on a hunt or two where I felt it would’ve made a difference. Quality binos and a tripod. What you really need is time in the field/experience.

fmyth

WKR
If you can't swing $1,500 for the Kowa the Vortex Optics Razor HD Angled Spotting Scope -16-48x65 is a solid packable budget option at $599.99. It has a lifetime warranty and if you decide to upgrade you'll be able to sell it and not lose too much money.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-30 at 12.19.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-30 at 12.19.21 PM.png
    56.2 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: CCH

elkguide

WKR
Opening confession..... "I am a Swarovski fanboy!"

Now with that out of the way....... I would take the money and buy a pair of Alpha glass binoculars. You'll use them 95% of the time hunting East or West. The spotter is a "nice" accessory but will not be used as much as your binos will.

hey there,
I am looking ot get into western style hunting and am looking ot get a spotting scope. I haev bowhunted whitetails and turkeys my whole life and am finally giving spot and stalk bowhunting a go. I have some vortex binoculars but i dont know much about spotting scopes. I was wondering what size and brand some of you would recommend for a beginner spotting scope
What is your budget?

OP
cayres67

cayres67

FNG
Thanks for all of the feedback. after seeing some of the comments about holding off on a spotter and using binos with a tripod i think i will explore that option as well. we will see what the budget looks like this summer and make a decision