First Spotting Scope

CCH

WKR
As much as I'd love a Kowa 550 series, it's not happening anytime soon. I have had that Vortex Razor that Sierra is closing out for some time, and out I sincerely doubt you could get more spotting scope for the money. I'm surprised they still have them. I also support the bino on tripod emphasis, but in certain circumstances you can't beat a spotting scope so it's good to have a decent one.

great advice here!, most of us have learned the lesson of how expensive cheap optics, or gear period, really is lol...by the time you're done trying a few cheap ones and selling them...you'll have easily paid for the one you end up with in the end...and yes bino's first, tripod mount them.... my spotters don't get used that often but when they are needed they are critical as we have to judge hairline accuracy on legality of a ram and many guys need to be able to count points, they can sure save you some miles so even though quantity of use may not be high...quality of images is absolutely required! save up, do it right the first time

great advice here!, most of us have learned the lesson of how expensive cheap optics, or gear period, really is lol...by the time you're done trying a few cheap ones and selling them...you'll have easily paid for the one you end up with in the end...and yes bino's first, tripod mount them.... my spotters don't get used that often but when they are needed they are critical as we have to judge hairline accuracy on legality of a ram and many guys need to be able to count points, they can sure save you some miles so even though quantity of use may not be high...quality of images is absolutely required! save up, do it right the first time
This

Tightwad

FNG
I thought spotting scopes were some sort of requirement when I converted to western hunting a decade ago but the more experienced I have become I realize that I’m finding game with binoculars and spotting scopes are just a curiousity for 90% of situations. There are situations you need a spotting scope but if you are just starting off and are turned off by a $1500 suggestion you are better off to go without and pour money into Binoculars/tripods/boots/packs.

Spotting scopes are pretty low down the list of cost benefit if you are new to western hunting. That is they have relatively limited use during most hunts and their high magnification nature makes them finnicky to use a demands alpha tier glass to make them worth it. You also need a really good tripod to run a spotting scope and with that comes weight and cost. It’s a piece of gear that gets left at the truck/cabin after 1 day of mountain hunting more than any core piece of gear I’ve ever used.
Exactly. I've hunted CO 6 times and never took a spotting scope, can't remember ever thinking I wish I had one, either. The majority of the programs on the Outdoor Channel are a far cry from reality.

If you don't have at least razors upgrade your binos first and put them on a good tripod with fluid head. A spotter is useless if you can't find anything to look at. Then when you're ready for a spotter, take the $600 you were gonna waste on a razor and put it toward a used kowa 66 off ebay, its amazing those scopes are even somewhat in the same price range. No need to thank me.

Spotting scopes are pretty low down the list of cost benefit if you are new to western hunting. That is they have relatively limited use during most hunts and their high magnification nature makes them finnicky to use a demands alpha tier glass to make them worth it. You also need a really good tripod to run a spotting scope and with that comes weight and cost. It’s a piece of gear that gets left at the truck/cabin after 1 day of mountain hunting more than any core piece of gear I’ve ever used.
different strokes I guess. I'd leave my weapon at the truck before i'd leave my spotting scope.

Vortectoy

FNG
I have a vortex razor 11-33x50. I’ve used a razor 16-48x65. I like the 65mm it was really clear. I’ve never used anything better so I can’t comment above these.