First Spring Bear Hunt

OP
S

Samwise

FNG
If it is just meat then 55 qt is likely enough. We had a 75 qt for our bear (which we did not get) and a 55 for food. If we had killed 2 we would have used both coolers, but that was unlikely. We had already lined up a processor and a taxidermist close by, so we would have packed him out quartered.
I'm planning on doing all my butchering my self and I have a taxidermist down here I send all of my work to. I also was thinking if I'm hauling out every thing alone deb9ned would be the way to go. But it's not like I have clue lol
yup - i know the coast well. i'd be interested in a weekend hunt. driving up here?
yes thats the plan. Coming up in may PM me and I can give you details.

lcx321

FNG
I’m looking to hunt MT too, if you're looking for a hunting buddy, Let me know. I was thinking to solo hunt in unit 314, which is also a grizzly unit, but I'm willing to go to unit 106 if I can find somebody to hunt with.

Mblehm

FNG
I’ll be leaving Missouri and going out there for a week at the end of May if you want to discuss going together. My hunting partner also can’t go so I am going solo as of now.

How did your hunt go? I hunt 106 every year. I’ve seen two grizzly bears in three years in 106 and 280. I do most of the hunt solo. Stay away from the bunker creek area for sure to avoid grizzlies. I saw one just outside of seeley lake as well. There are a lot of black bears in 106. I’d go if I was you.

I went last to 106 fall. Covered a lot of ground the first five days. Got within 40 yds of a good bear. Couldn’t get a shot (bow hunting). Passed on a small one. Then had to leave. Go as early as you can. Looks dry out west so berries could be slim in the fall. Find berries and purple bear crap and you have found where the bears are. A lot of people complain that they see more grizzlies than black bears in 106 but that is not my experience at all. Overall I like 106 but there’s nothing about it that’s unique for fall hunting that makes it more appealing than some other zones.