First Spring Bear Hunt

szwags

FNG
Hi all,
My buddy and I have planned out a trip to go hunt bears in Montana this spring. This is both our first times out west and will be making the roadtrip from NJ. I have all my gear and everything in place, the only thing im really struggling with is an area to target. I have heard some state forests are predominantly grizzly and wolf and haven't really heard much about black bears. If anyone has even the smallest tip it would be much appreciated. Thanks

archp625

WKR
Welcome to Rokslide. Gohunt is good thing to have if you do not want to do the research yourself. Also there is a good post on here that goes through some good areas to start looking. This forum is not going to tell you a unit to go to.

Rogue Bay

WKR
Northwestern Montana has a lot of black bears and there are a lot of places to hunt that don’t have high grizzly numbers if that’s a concern. I’d be happy to share some info with you. Unfortunately I can’t send pm’s yet but should be close LOL.

MTtrout

WKR
Not sure what you mean by state forest and grizzlies... guessing you meant to say FS or in some cases, BLM? Black bears are found throughout MT. I’d recommend checking out FWPs website. It has all the info you need to see bear date and then choose a unit and look at imagery to see where you want to go.

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
Pick a mountain range and go for it! There's good numbers of black bears in just about every mountain range in the state.

Another tip. If you contribute more to the forum, folks will be more likely to help you out. Not a great look joining the forum just to ask for handouts without any contribution

Like anything probably gonna be tough your first year but you'll learn. Send me a PM

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk