First stab at item list for day pack…

Drop hunt in AK. Not bringing an actual “day pack”. Just my Eberlestock F1 frame and vapor 5,000. Not sure what partner will have as he is renting, but here my current thoughts…

Pack
License and tag in dedicated pocket.
Game bags
Extra ammo
Water
Lunch / snacks
Filet knife
Havalon and blades
Knife sharpener
Pedicle tool (aluminum rod pry hide from bases)
Cordage
Shelter tarp
Cleaning tarp
Tarp stakes
Cordage
Survey tape
Tripod and spotter
Backpack chair
Thrashing tool
Compass
Safety whistle
Water filter
Head lamp(s)
HH rain jacket
Weather gloves
Trekking poles
head net if necessary
Cut proof gloves
Way to start fire
Moleskin
Soft tape measure
Go pro (????)

Bino Harness
Binos
Range finder
Cell phone
Phone skope and adapters

Seems like a LOT and I’m sure I’m missing some things. Like I said, this just a first stab and typing as I go just now. Some of these items are obviously shared by both and can be split up, so that should help a little. We also don’t yet know how far from camp our best vantage point will be.

Last edited:
OP
P
I really like the idea of ferrying meat hauls half way so that the two of us have more but shorter meat runs, but I also like concept of sticking together during the stage when we are most likely to have an injury or bear issue. What’s the consensus on that?

While actually hunting, you don't need to carry a water filter or a safety whistle or meat bags or a cleaning tarp.

In reference to carrying loads of meat halfway and then dumping them, then going back for another load and dumping it halfway as well (and so on and so forth) you'll quickly find that that's not the way to do it.

What’s your email, I’ll send you my list from 2020.

Also, I’d stick together. A guy got mauled and killed in the wrangles the year we were up there because they didn’t stick together and were alternating packing and cutting.

Also, you absolutely will need a headnet, actually make it 3 of them. They weigh nothing and if lose your only one, you’re in for a treat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
P
While actually hunting, you don't need to carry a water filter or a safety whistle or meat bags or a cleaning tarp.

In reference to carrying loads of meat halfway and then dumping them, then going back for another load and dumping it halfway as well (and so on and so forth) you'll quickly find that that's not the way to do it.
My thought was that if we wind up identifying a great vantage point that’s pretty far from camp it would be nice to have everything on hand to break him down, stage meat cache cape and antlers upwind of carcass and then first trip back to camp bring a load. No sense in making a trip to camp empty. ?????

OP
P
What’s your email, I’ll send you my list from 2020.

Also, I’d stick together. A guy got mauled and killed in the wrangles the year we were up there because they didn’t stick together and were alternating packing and cutting.

Also, you absolutely will need a headnet, actually make it 3 of them. They weigh nothing and if lose your only one, you’re in for a treat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Will send you pm. Thanks.

Yeah, sounds like sticking together better route. Will pick up a couple more head nets.

My thought was that if we wind up identifying a great vantage point that’s pretty far from camp it would be nice to have everything on hand to break him down, stage meat cache cape and antlers upwind of carcass and then first trip back to camp bring a load. No sense in making a trip to camp empty. ?????

As always, you're welcome to do it however you please. Keep in mind that it's not anything like dismembering and salvaging a bull elk, not even close.

The way I hunt, kill and salvage bull moose with a hunting client in tow, is sit at my vantage point every day until we know that we can kill a targeted bull. We then go after that bull and hopefully kill it [sidebar: 90% of my moose kills happen during the last hour of daylight].

We then gut the animal, position it on it's back, tie all four legs in a splayed position, and then haul ass to camp (in the dark).

The next day, we take skinning tarp, game bags, contractor bags, maybe some more rope, an Estwing axe, and a Wyoming saw back to the kill site and begin dismembering the moose. On that day, we'll also try to pack all four legs (two trips each) to where a plane can retrieve it.

Then the very next day, we again go back to the kill site and salvage all remaining meat, antlers, cape, and butchering tools/tarp (three trips each). By then we're whooped and ready for a break.

All in all, from the day of kill till the moose is completely packed to where a plane can retrieve it, it takes a hunter and I at least two full days. Then, on our "day of rest", the plane comes in and whisks the moose away so we don't have to worry about losing any portion of it.

OP
P
As always, you're welcome to do it however you please. Keep in mind that it's not anything like dismembering and salvaging a bull elk, not even close.

The way I hunt, kill and salvage bull moose with a hunting client in tow, is sit at my vantage point every day until we know that we can kill a targeted bull. We then go after that bull and hopefully kill it [sidebar: 90% of my moose kills happen during the last hour of daylight].

We then gut the animal, position it on it's back, tie all four legs in a splayed position, and then haul ass to camp (in the dark).

The next day, we take skinning tarp, game bags, contractor bags, maybe some more rope, an Estwing axe, and a Wyoming saw back to the kill site and begin dismembering the moose. On that day, we'll also try to pack all four legs (two trips each) to where a plane can retrieve it.

Then the very next day, we again go back to the kill site and salvage all remaining meat, antlers, cape, and butchering tools/tarp (three trips each). By then we're whooped and ready for a break.

All in all, from the day of kill till the moose is completely packed to where a plane can retrieve it, it takes a hunter and I at least two full days. Then, on our "day of rest", the plane comes in and whisks the moose away so we don't have to worry about losing any portion of it.

10-4. Sounds like a pretty good routine. I had hoped to be able to get salvaged meat away cached away (100 yards or so and in visible location) from carcass same day as kill. I guess for a last light kill that’s not really an option, or we work in dark. Going back to gut pile and moose next day seems like asking for bear trouble.

"..... I had hoped to be able to get salvaged meat away cached away (100 yards or so and in visible location) from carcass same day as kill ..... Going back to gut pile and moose next day seems like asking for bear trouble."

Jays, magpies, foxes, coyotes, wolves, wolverines and bears don't pay attention to lineal distance between meat cache and gut pile. To them it's all seen as an easy source of protein. Doesn't matter. In fact, they'll even trail you a ways to see where the scent leads.

just keep your eyes and ears open every time you approach the kill site. I typically stand about 75 or 80 yards from a site for several minutes and see what the birds are doing and whether or not my flagpole has been knocked down, before charging right in.

I normally

Always have
Water
Food
Game bags
Bullets
Binos
2 knives
Paracord
Small tarp
Light weight Gloves
Lighter
Cigar
Headlamp
Flagging
Phone for camera and gps
Inreach

Might add due to circumstances
Rain coat/pants
Puffy pants/coat
GPS

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Just keep your kill kit, a bit of extra ammo, a snack, some water and an insulation layer.

I’d never leave moose out overnight, I can take a nap when it’s done. Just keep enough on you to deal with your bull and don’t over think it. Again, I’d never dream of doing half the job then leaving the kill site with plans to return the following day.

Make sure you have headlamps so you can work when it’s dark.

OP
P
Just keep your kill kit, a bit of extra ammo, a snack, some water and an insulation layer.

I’d never leave moose out overnight, I can take a nap when it’s done. Just keep enough on you to deal with your bull and don’t over think it. Again, I’d never dream of doing half the job then leaving the kill site with plans to return the following day.

Make sure you have headlamps so you can work when it’s dark.
That’s what I was thinking

90% of the bulls I kill, and I've killed well over 100 of them in the past 58 years, were killed in the last hour of the day. I've left every one of those bulls to sit overnight and then went back the next morning, to butcher them and start packing. Never lost any of them, ever. Just sayin' .......

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
90% of the bulls I kill, and I've killed well over 100 of them in the past 58 years, were killed in the last hour of the day. I've left every one of those bulls to sit overnight and then went back the next morning, to butcher them and start packing. Never lost any of them, ever. Just sayin' .......

I’ve killed them in the last hour of light. Always stayed out and taken care of things. Heck the first one I ever butchered took me from midnight to around 5am to get it cut, bagged and hauled to my raft.

I’ve killed them in the last hour of light. Always stayed out and taken care of things. Heck the first one I ever butchered took me from midnight to around 5am to get it cut, bagged and hauled to my raft.

Different strokes for different folks. Personally, I prefer to do it in daylight.

I got a bit more spooked this past year or 2 after that hunter was killed was killed in the wrangells because a bear was on his moose kill.

Happens, I guess. It's Alaska -- so anything goes. So far, I've never had a bear come into a fresh kill when meat, cape and antlers were still at the kill site.