First stove for backpacking

Ridley

Lil-Rokslider
61A16AD7-E0E2-4A8C-8515-09E8AF92A9C0.jpegI downsized my stove last year from a multi fuel stove to a pocket rocket. To be honest the only reason why I got a new stove was because I can’t find my old one. THe pocket rocket came with a 20oz pot, and cup (it’s an extremely little package). On 4 overnight trips and one power outage at home I’ve used the same 8oz fuel canister and wouldn’t hesitate to use it on 3 more overnight trips. Here is a photo, I included the bic lighter so you could get a sense of size.You can fit all of the accessories and the stove plus a 4oz fuel canister in the pot and inside that bag in the photo. I’ve found it to be a very convenient setup.

Last edited:

Sawtoothsteve

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone wished that they had a regulator or is it one of these things didn’t really matter. I really don’t plan to do much with it but boil water but there could be those few odd times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, in cold weather. With the regulator, the stove will perform properly in lower temps than without. Getting into single digit temps and stoves without regulator have proven very inefficient for me, but with regulator and a few tricks you can make it work without going to liquid fuel....

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using a stove made by snow peak. It’s been great for years. No wind guard but it’s extremely light weight.

I've got a Soto Amicus.

I like the versatility, it's super small, and does pretty well in the wind.

A medium canister fits in the pot.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I use my Pocket Rocket II a fair amount; power outages after hurricanes, fishing, day hunts, hiking....
great for making coffee when away from the house. And it all fits inside a titanium cup and mug set up, including the fuel canister.

Hunter6

WKR
If all your doing is boiling water it’s hard to beat a jet boil or wind burner type set up.

I personally use the jet boil MicroMo Cooking System

It weights 12oz and it has a regulator on it “kinda” it’s not the best regulator but does simmer.

If you want to cook more you can buy other attachments later.

Blasey

FNG
Jetboil for sure. Very popular, sold everywhere. They last a long time and you can get the gas anywhere too. Two things to consider - if using it below freezing make sure you get the 4 season gas. The others just don't light up when it's cold. Also, make sure you get the one with the auto igniter so you don't have to mess with lighters or matches.

OP
S
I don’t know why this is so hard! I am kind of between a mar windburned and pocket rocket 2 or deluxe. I guess I just need to decide on light and smaller or larger and bulkier! Thanks for all the replies so far!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Depends on if you think you’ll ever cook actual food in the pot. I know I will only ever boil water for coffee/tea and dehydrated meals. So for me a regulator wouldn’t impact my decision. From what i understand if you don’t have a regulator it’ll be very difficult to cook without burning the food. These stoves get super hot very quickly.
Regulator is beneficial in cold weather and when fuel canisters are low on fuel, not for cooking. You can have regulated stoves that don't adjust heat output, and you have them that will. Same with unregulated stoves.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I think the best all around stove is Optimus Polaris or similar. Multi fuel which burns gasoline, diesel, kerosene, jet fuel, white gas, isobutane and propane with a convertor (must purchase separately). Works well in any temperature with the appropriate fuel for that temperature. Propane or liquid fuel is much better than isobutane for very cold temps.

Somewhat of a weight penalty.

Probably best to get the propane convertor and a second large liquid fuel bottle. With the convertor and a one pound propane bottle this stove burns crazy hot.....and if you refill the one pound bottles or use gas/diesel it is the least expensive way to go by far over using iso butane but you can use isobutane if you want to do so.....
I took an Optimus Nova on 2 deployments to Iraq. That thing burned everything. JP8, DF2, regular diesel, kerosene, white gas etc. Came in handy. If it was liquid we could make it burn.

I try to keep things simple, had a jetboil since I started western hunting. Always served me well, no reason to look elsewhere.

TomJoad

WKR
I’ve been using a jetboil stash for two seasons now for UL summer backpacking or early season hunting. It’s 40% lighter than their standard rig (titanium pot) and works great. That all being said use case is important for higher elevation and late season I still prefer taking a multi fuel stove like the MSR whisperlite I’ve had in use for two decades. There’s a reason that mountaineering guides run these stoves. Far more reliable at any temp or elevation and field serviceable. Never any question regarding how much fuel remaining, just look. I’ve never burned gas or diesel in mine but it’s nice to know you can. I stick to Coleman white fuel which is cheap and plentiful.

Last edited:

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a fan of the BRS 3000 stove as well. Ti pot, Ti spork, 4 or8 Oz fuel canister, Bic all nest well and work as well as anything else.

*zap*

WKR
I took an Optimus Nova on 2 deployments to Iraq. That thing burned everything. JP8, DF2, regular diesel, kerosene, white gas etc. Came in handy. If it was liquid we could make it burn.

That is a good stove also, I like not having to change jets for different multifuels...and the e-z clean jet is a good thing.

I’m still using my original pocket rocket. Bought an Amazon pot with heat exchanger last year (MSR reactor rip off) and it worked well as a ghetto jet boil.

I’m thinking lighter this year, so going to go with a Toaks 750 pot/mug and lose about 6 ounces. May rig up a windscreen out of flashing.

I’ve been using a jetboil stash for two seasons now for UL summer backpacking or early season hunting. It’s 40% lighter than their standard rig (titanium pot) and works great. That all being said use case is important for higher elevation and late season I still prefer taking a multi fuel stove like the MSR whisperlite I’ve had in use for two decades. There’s a reason that mountaineering guides run these stoves. Far more reliable at any temp or elevation and field serviceable. Never any question regarding how much fuel remaining, just look. I’ve never burned gas or diesel in mine but it’s nice to know you can. I stick to Coleman white fuel which is cheap and plentiful.
+1 on the jb stash for a quick and fairly compact system for fast and easy water-boil-only scenarios. I have never actually cooked or eaten food out of mine. It's strictly for coffee water or pouring into a bag.

OP
S
So I think I have decided on the msg pocket rocket deluxe. I wonder if the little bit of wind resistance would be nice. Also having a regulator since I can see some cold weather use. Anyways, I see that they have a kit but is there any better/lighter pot for this that I could still store everything in and not take up much room or is that kit the way to go? I think the weird pot holder is kind of weird but I’m sure it would work.