First stove for backpacking

OP
S
I heard that toaks are good and lightweight but not sure what size the pot should be to fit that and a canister in. Not really sure what else I need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robin1970

FNG
That MSR pocket-rocket 2 is nice and small when all folded up, they have an updated one with a built-in piezo igniter. Then just a GSI Minimalist Titanium pot. No wind protection though. Wind has never been much of a problem for me though. You can always just use your body to shield it somewhat.
I've used MSR Pocket Rocket 2 often car camping. Boils water fast enough, but needs wind protection, if you walk away when windy. I have often cooked with it with bone broth, veg broth, or water, to keep other food in pot from burning. I also own a MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe, but piezo ignitor stoped working. I sent it in to msr under warranty and they said they are sending me a new one. I use the large Iso cannisters car camping. I bought both stoves 2 years ago. Their prices have gone up a lot!

I’ve been using the same jetboil for a few years now and have had no problems with it. It is not the lightest stove but is a very efficient and reliable water boiler, which is all I use it for. I like the stability of the attached cup and it seems to work pretty good in the wind, I usually just try to half ass block it with something and that’s all it needs. I like how quick and easy it boils so much that I keep it in my truck all of the time in a container with coffee, mtn house etc and whenever I need a second cup I take 5 minutes to make one on the tailgate. It’s been very handy. If you’re counting grams, there’s definitely lighter things out there though.
I second that! The jetboil is a beast.

I just bought a jetboil zip. Thinking the fuel savings will make the weight a wash vs carrying extra fuel, and I like the simplicity of the system.

By the math, I should get 5 days easy out of a single 100g. That's boiling 16 oz twice daily with the odd mid-day coffee or such thrown in.

WLD

FNG
I am looking to get my first stove of some kind and wondering what people have for recommendations. Boiling water is the primary use, so the fastest with the least amount of gas used. I don’t want something heavy and bulky but if something is better with a bit more weight, I don’t need the lightest either. Obviously the lighter and smaller the better, I just don’t want to sacrifice if something is that much better. I used a friends last year and it was one that you set a pot or cup on top, seems like one that locks in may be a bit easier but without sing one, I’m not sure. Also, I tend to be in windy and somewhat cold weather probably 40% of the time. I know nothing about them other than a little research so let me know if I need more info!

I use the pocket rocket for late season and brs-3000 for early season. 75g and 25g respectively. I only boil water 2 times a day to rehydrate breakfast and dinner. For reference I hunt from Sept to November in southern BC mountains. This is a solo setup, if it gets too cold late season I use fire to warm anyway. Lots of decent options out there, I’ve used several more expensive msr and jetboil stoves, they all work. My current setup with the brs and titanium pot is about as UL as you could get without ditching a stove altogether.

WLD

FNG
while I like my jetboil for making coffee or boiling water for a meal that's about all it does. Mine also has a metallic taste that is often present in drinks which is starting to annoy me.

I leaning toward a smaller jet stove like a pocket rocket with a couple titanium pots/cups (1 for drinks and one for cooking/boiling) and possibly when on short trips not far from the road, a pan to fry something in (admittedly that probably won't happen but a guy can dream)
Use the same pot for drinking and boiling. I find the 750ml titanium pot is the perfect size for both boiling/cooking and drinking. To each their own though. For reference I only boil to rehydrate when UL hunting

I provide my hunting clients with MSR Whisperlite International stoves. It eliminates transporting or packing multiple empty fuel canisters at the end of a 10 or 12 day hunt. But, that's a multi-fuel stove (white gas, gasoline, kerosene, etc). For me, it's the absolute best backpacking stove on the market. It performs flawlessly in high wind and sub-zero temperatures. However, I do know that presuurized canister stoves are all the rage, nowadays. But for me, can't beat a Whisperlite International.

OP
S
I ended up going with the pocket rocket deluxe and a toaks 750 pot. It seems pretty nice lightweight so far. Should do what I ask of it. I hope!

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I ended up going with the pocket rocket deluxe and a toaks 750 pot. It seems pretty nice lightweight so far. Should do what I ask of it. I hope!

I run the same exact setup - the regulator on the stove is really nice, and that pot is crazy light. A set of silicone “hot lips” helps if you’re going to drink out of it. The lid doesn’t stay tight but a simple rubber band can take care of that. You can fit the stove in with fuel, just have to make sure you get the support arms fully rotated flat against the stove body.

OP
S
I run the same exact setup - the regulator on the stove is really nice, and that pot is crazy light. A set of silicone “hot lips” helps if you’re going to drink out of it. The lid doesn’t stay tight but a simple rubber band can take care of that. You can fit the stove in with fuel, just have to make sure you get the support arms fully rotated flat against the stove body.

I can fit the stove on top of the canister and it fits about perfect without the little bag it comes in. I have to have it exactly right and sometimes can’t fit it with the bag on. Will it hurt it to not have it protected?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I can fit the stove on top of the canister and it fits about perfect without the little bag it comes in. I have to have it exactly right and sometimes can’t fit it with the bag on. Will it hurt it to not have it protected?

Can’t fit the lid? No it won’t really hurt it, it’s metal, more of a noise thing. I don’t use the bag it comes with, I stuff it in a tiny zpacks dcf stuff sack.

OP
S
Can’t fit the lid? No it won’t really hurt it, it’s metal, more of a noise thing. I don’t use the bag it comes with, I stuff it in a tiny zpacks dcf stuff sack.

Right, can’t close the lid. Fits perfect without the bag

Usi05

WKR
I have had a jetboil and it’s been solid but I keep finding myself wanting to try a pocket rocket 2 with a Toaks pot.

Easier to pack I bet, less weight, and no anti hunting bs.

RT84

FNG
I’ve used a Campchef Stryker for a couple years and it’s treated me well.

rootacres

WKR
My Jetboil Flash has served me well. . . 3 years old thus far. I’m sure some others are great but the Flash is a good bag for the buck.

I also have a pocket rocket. It has its place in the ultralight game. I use it more for hot melting arrows than boiling water now.

Kpdaniels

FNG
I use an msr pocket rocket 2. It’s very compact and works pretty well. I also have an old msr whisper light which uses white gas. A little more robust burner but also more of a pain in the butt to get get going. I typically only use it if I have several people to cook for any more.

Hoff

FNG
A person can really geek out on stoves. Love my Soto Windmaster for the canister route and love my MSR Windmaster for the integrated cup/stove route. I think you'll be really happy with what you picked. Light and simple is usually my preference so the Soto with MSR Titan pot or 750 Toaks pot gets the nod most frequently.

kjw

WKR
8 years of use with my Optimus crux. From sea level to 13,000’ I’ve never had an issue. Boils quick and very efficient. I’d love to have a lighter or more efficient stove (MSR reactor is awesome) but hard to justify that much money for me until this stove fails. I would figure out your budget and go from there

I am looking to get my first stove of some kind and wondering what people have for recommendations. Boiling water is the primary use, so the fastest with the least amount of gas used. I don’t want something heavy and bulky but if something is better with a bit more weight, I don’t need the lightest either. Obviously the lighter and smaller the better, I just don’t want to sacrifice if something is that much better. I used a friends last year and it was one that you set a pot or cup on top, seems like one that locks in may be a bit easier but without sing one, I’m not sure. Also, I tend to be in windy and somewhat cold weather probably 40% of the time. I know nothing about them other than a little research so let me know if I need more info!

Ive used the Snow Peak lite for the last five years hunting and backpacking and its been great. My dad has the same stove and only had a problem below freezing with cheaper fuel cans from walmart.