First Suppressor....going 6.5 a dumb idea?

czim

FNG
Since this would be your first can, go with a 30 cal. That way it can handle all of the ones you have mentioned and is a bit more future proof. Then go from there to get ones for specific guns that will not change hosts. The thunderbeasts are excellent cans, but maybe check the sigs as well. the qd adapters are cheaper and lock up great from host to host for me.

Since this would be your first can, go with a 30 cal. That way it can handle all of the ones you have mentioned and is a bit more future proof. Then go from there to get ones for specific guns that will not change hosts. The thunderbeasts are excellent cans, but maybe check the sigs as well. the qd adapters are cheaper and lock up great from host to host for me.

Agreed 100%. The difference in sound reduction between the 6.5 and .30 cans are minimal - I can't recall the number, but it was insignificant. Not that you would even notice, but having the flexibility is invaluable. You won't regret it; I haven't.

I have a Sig can and would recommend it overall as it performs very well and has had zero issues, but if going with a QD model you should be aware of 2 things:

1. Sig does a really good job of not mentioning this...the QD mounts are meant for the MPX-style barrels that have a taper cut into it past the threads. If your barrel(s) have a traditional square should, the darn thing will only thread on a turn or so. Sig seems to think this is not an issue, but I didn't agree. I had my barrels turned to have the taper on all but 1. Probably not a huge deal but kinda ticked me off considering the nature of buying cans.

2. Sig is notorious for announcing all kinds of new equipment, then only actually bringing half of them to market...the other half is always backordered. Never have seen their can wrench in stock and have been waiting for the mythical flashbrake and 2-chamber micro brake for 4 years now...

Had I known all this up front, I would've spent the extra 2-300 and gone with a TBAC, which is quite a bit lighter and has a spotless reputation.

czim

FNG
Agreed 100%. The difference in sound reduction between the 6.5 and .30 cans are minimal - I can't recall the number, but it was insignificant. Not that you would even notice, but having the flexibility is invaluable. You won't regret it; I haven't.

I have a Sig can and would recommend it overall as it performs very well and has had zero issues, but if going with a QD model you should be aware of 2 things:

1. Sig does a really good job of not mentioning this...the QD mounts are meant for the MPX-style barrels that have a taper cut into it past the threads. If your barrel(s) have a traditional square should, the darn thing will only thread on a turn or so. Sig seems to think this is not an issue, but I didn't agree. I had my barrels turned to have the taper on all but 1. Probably not a huge deal but kinda ticked me off considering the nature of buying cans.

2. Sig is notorious for announcing all kinds of new equipment, then only actually bringing half of them to market...the other half is always backordered. Never have seen their can wrench in stock and have been waiting for the mythical flashbrake and 2-chamber micro brake for 4 years now...

Had I known all this up front, I would've spent the extra 2-300 and gone with a TBAC, which is quite a bit lighter and has a spotless reputation.

The taper lock is clearly stated in all of their literature so it would be up to the buyer to understand this before the purchase. I have their QD mounts on several hosts and none of them are cut specifically for the taper lock. All of mine snug up fine to traditionally threaded barrels ranging from 223 m4 (1/2x28) profile to m40 (5/8x24) heavy profile with plenty of meat on the threads engaging. I use the 30 cal cans for all these hosts.

I do remember seeing them announcing the 2 port brake but really didn't care about it. When I want a braked rifle I switch to a true brake and not a QD adapter. Right now I favor the area419 and as ugly as they are the new MDT is fantastic. As for wrenches, an adjustable wrench stays in my bag and covers everything better than some proprietary end cap wrench would.

Cat99899

FNG
I only have one rifle can in 30 Cal (up to 300 win Mag) because....well... I have only one and it needs to fit everything. If it's your first suppressor, you can't beat it being usable and it also allows you to use it on 30 cal rifles if you ever decide to purchase one in the future.

PAbow84

Lil-Rokslider
It seems as though you've heard this before but I'd opt for the 30 cal. However, if you do go the 6.5 route, it will almost certainly give you an excuse to buy another.

colonel00

WKR
I'll add my vote for a .30 as well. This winter, when you are bored, put together a cheap 300 BLK and amass some subsonic rounds. I still giggle a bit when I shoot mine.

AZ16

FNG
Give the hassle you go through to get the can, versatility is the name of the game. As most have stated a 30 cal can rated for 300win mag would be a great starting point.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
my first can was a .223 worst mistake ever. I have another one in jail right now that is a 338 so I can thread it on anything... you will lose little as far as DB but gain a variety of rifles your can thread it on

SniperHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thunder Beast Ultra in 9" or 7". There are .30cal or 6.5 models made specifically for the precision shooting market.