First time applying for antelope tags. Advice on places to start?

JBears

FNG
Long story short. A couple of my friends and I are looking to do an antelope hunt out west (all currently live in WI). But none of us have much experience with season dates, draw odds, number of potential tags per hunter, overlapping seasons with deer for increased opportunities, etc...

Just wondering if anybody might be willing to point some fellas in the right general direction for some opportunities.

Thanks in advance.

wapitibob

WKR
Season dates and odds should be easy to get. Potential tags will be out before the app deadline. All pretty much available. If you're asking about WY, download the app booklet linked on the hunting page, mid way down the page. After reading that ask questions. As for where, look at the odds and determine what you can draw and research those areas.

Last edited:

406life

Lil-Rokslider
Take 2 years build up points in WY, then check back in. You could go this year, but you'll enjoy your hunt more in a 2pt unit. Also, WY cut tags this past year and they will likely remain the same this year. With two good years tags could be back up.

If that doesn't suit you, pick up a landowner tag elsewhere or apply for the CO units that are private land and pay a trespass fee. All depends on your budget.

cnelk

WKR
Do the Wyo research suggested above - I would recommend applying for RP doe/fawn tags in an easy draw area. No PPs required

OP
J

JBears

FNG
Season dates and odds should be easy to get. Potential tags will be out before the app deadline. All pretty much available. If you're asking about WT, download the app booklet linked on the hunting page, mid way down the page. After reading that ask questions. As for where, look at the odds and determine what you can draw and research those areas.
Thanks Wapiti! Just for pure clarification sake here.. I'm assuming you meant to say WY instead of WT? Or am I ignorant to the meaning of WT?

OP
J

JBears

FNG
Take 2 years build up points in WY, then check back in. You could go this year, but you'll enjoy your hunt more in a 2pt unit. Also, WY cut tags this past year and they will likely remain the same this year. With two good years tags could be back up.

If that doesn't suit you, pick up a landowner tag elsewhere or apply for the CO units that are private land and pay a trespass fee. All depends on your budget.
We're certainly good with building some points and trying for a bigger hunt in a another year or two, but would still love to get some experience in on them (even if its just does) so we'll definitely look into the private access options you mention. Thanks for the advice!!
Do the Wyo research suggested above - I would recommend applying for RP doe/fawn tags in an easy draw area. No PPs required
RP? Reduction Permit? We're certainly fine with doe/fawn tags. We're just looking to get our feet wet and have the highest odds to fill some coolers.

cnelk

WKR
We're certainly good with building some points and trying for a bigger hunt in a another year or two, but would still love to get some experience in on them (even if its just does) so we'll definitely look into the private access options you mention. Thanks for the advice!!

RP? Reduction Permit? We're certainly fine with doe/fawn tags. We're just looking to get our feet wet and have the highest odds to fill some coolers.
RP = Reduced Price

It’s all in WGFD website

Laramie

WKR
I would anticipate further tag reductions for 2022. Some areas had really poor fawn numbers. In your shoes I would do basic research now and then make up your minds once quotas are released this spring.

downthepipe

Lil-Rokslider
You need to decide on a budget and then look at WY as a 3-6 year option, ID and NM as a very low odd draw, Nevada or Arizona if you want to save for 15 years. Or you may be able to avoid the lottery game altogether if you can drop $4-6k.

I’ve never been to WY either however done a small amount of research and got a PP last year. The PP there are not sold during the tag purchase like other states. The WY site if full of info. Good luck

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
Are you looking strictly rifle? Archery will have a lot of opportunities for tag options and a wider season selection. Could easily hunt somewhere archery this year, rifle will be tough to make happen this year without a lot of money

wytx

WKR
Archery or rifle in Wyoming, same draw odds and PP are needed , mostly.

Wait til April or early May for Wyoming, quotas will out then and tags numbers will be set.

OP
J

JBears

FNG
Thanks for th input all! We're hoping to go a bit cheaper on the total end of things so we're fine with stacking some points for a year or two for a solid unit and be ready to go once we draw. We'll probably look hard into some reduced price, and doe/fawn permits in the meantime.

We'd gladly do archery or rifle.

Anybody have any experience with SD??

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for th input all! We're hoping to go a bit cheaper on the total end of things so we're fine with stacking some points for a year or two for a solid unit and be ready to go once we draw. We'll probably look hard into some reduced price, and doe/fawn permits in the meantime.

We'd gladly do archery or rifle.

Anybody have any experience with SD??
Was there two yrs ago for archery antelope. Between the 4 of us, we found plenty of animals, and all were close to shooting opportunities. Fairly cheap and easy trip.

KAGR

FNG

Good advice

OP
J

JBears

FNG
Was there two yrs ago for archery antelope. Between the 4 of us, we found plenty of animals, and all were close to shooting opportunities. Fairly cheap and easy trip.
Awesome! That's the type of trip we're looking for. Itll go on the list to research!

Thanks!