First time archery elk in Colorado

Hey all. I am seeking some basic information about terrain and features to look for while E scouting for September archery season in Colorado. I'm hunting in units 751 and 75,my first elk hunt will be DIY and I will be solo..... Not looking for any secret spots or hand outs. I am familiar with being in the mountains just not in elk country. Any help or tips are greatly appreciated! Thank you!

bz_711

WKR
My .02cents...especially if solo and 1st time:
-avoid trail heads and parking lots
-look for water and good cover that are a steep uphill climb from FS road and just park roadside to avoid crowds
-I'd hunt from a truck camp and try a new spot every morning & afternoon until you find elk
-once you find them, hear them, or find red hot sign (smells like a barnyard)...slow down and use a wind checker to always keep wind in your favor
-Above all keep a positive attitude and be ready when it happens...have fun, take pictures, and share your story!

Good Luck!

Poser

WKR
75/751 are my backyard stomping grounds. Be prepared for off trail travel to take 3-4x longer than what you estimate e-scouting based on mileage and elevation. It’s that much more difficult and that much more rugged and 1 mile off trail can easily take 4 hours. I scouted a new potential area recently that took me 2 hours to go 1/3 of a mile.

RemiR7

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a new to elk hunting as well with this being my 2nd year going for what it’s worth and solo once again and hunted just a couple units away from you and will be again this year. I will say, I spent almost a year of e-scouting and reading anything I could via, internet, forums, books, as I didn’t have the time to make a scouting trip and I camp up with roughly 10 different plans/areas over two units and giving myself a 5 mile limit from the truck. Luckily, my first plan worked out and was in elk every day, but the first evening. I found the steepest mountain side with a north facing timber slope, benches, and water sources and went bushwhacking to the top and Low and behold it held elk, and most were between that 10800-1200ft from what I could see. With that being said and what I would assume is a popular area to look for, seems others on here over the years have found them in over looked areas. I did take a pretty popular trail getting into it and passed many families, hikers, which was a bit discouraging and even two hunters were on the main trail who I stopped and talked to for about 20 min and we’re complaining about not Seeing or hearing anything and the amount of people in the area. They also, from what it sounded like didn’t get off the main trail. Once again I’m a novice when it comes to elk hunting, but the search bar function on here can do wonders if you have the time to dig through old posts even from years ago, as well as google, magazines, books, and can start to piece together similarities between posts/articles and start to formulate what your looking for over time. Good luck on your trip 👍🏻

OP
B
My .02cents...especially if solo and 1st time:
-avoid trail heads and parking lots
-look for water and good cover that are a steep uphill climb from FS road and just park roadside to avoid crowds
-I'd hunt from a truck camp and try a new spot every morning & afternoon until you find elk
-once you find them, hear them, or find red hot sign (smells like a barnyard)...slow down and use a wind checker to always keep wind in your favor
-Above all keep a positive attitude and be ready when it happens...have fun, take pictures, and share your story!

Good Luck!
Thank you!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

chasewild

WKR
I guess, first, since you've already drawn the tag, september is hot and if you've never broken down and packed out an elk, you have literally no clue how tough (miserable) that is -- let alone how monumental that task is when you're alone, when it's hot, in the san juans. Get a packer. Then get a backup packer.

As for the rest,

1. https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/and-here-it-comes.97447/

2. Tmber.

Good luck.

OP
B
I'm not going to lie,I'm a little intimidated about the country I've been scouting, I keep telling my wife I have no clue what I'm doing! I'm not looking for a marathon hike just to chicken out on a chance at an animal because I'm timid to make the trek out with that much weight on my back. And I absolutely will not take a chance of wasting any part of the animal if I have the slightest doubt that it will spoil before I can get it cooled down.

OP
B
There is a great video from Corey Jacobsen on youtube for escouting using ONX.

North facing slots, dark timber, water, feed...stay mobile. Welcome to RS and good luck
Thank you! I actually just started listening to Elktalk podcast.

PhotoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not looking for a marathon hike just to chicken out on a chance at an animal because I'm timid to make the trek out with that much weight on my back.

Just day hunt and stay with 2 miles from the road. Keep moving until you find elk - then make your plan.

Rhatter

FNG
Hey all. I am seeking some basic information about terrain and features to look for while E scouting for September archery season in Colorado. I'm hunting in units 751 and 75,my first elk hunt will be DIYand I will be solo..... Not looking for any secret spots or hand outs. I am familiar with being in the mountains just not in elk country. Any help or tips are greatly appreciated! Thank you!
My suggestion would be to locate who the outfitter in your area you are going to hunt. Most outfitters will pack your game out for a reasonable price. Do your DIY hunt but have a plan on getting your game out if needed. Coming from an outfitter family and being a guide for 20+ years, we have packed lots of game for DIY hunters. Makes things a little easier on you and better chance of getting your game off the mountain before it starts spoiling. Our archery seasons here in CO can still be pretty warm weather wise. Good luck!

The Angelo Kid

Lil-Rokslider
I'll second the posts regarding an outfitter/packer. I've been in there when it has been unseasonably hot. You aren't getting an elk out of there in one trip and if it's a hot year I would be careful leaving meat up in there for multiple trips. It's rough country. Just be prepared to do the work.

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and looking for some advice on areas of the state of Colorado to look at for a hunt Aug. 30 - Sep. 8 (2020) for Archery Elk. The season starts Sep. 2nd - we plan to scout three days, hunt six days, and go home.

I have been looking at GMUs 62/65 and 81/80. I can't make my mind up. The statistics on all these GMUs seem decent.

I do not expect you to send me coordinates to your favorite spot, but I do have some information in Idaho I could offer in trade, or maybe even a whitetail hunt on our ranch for the right information. ;)

I have no boots-on-the-ground elk hunting experience in Colorado, so even a vague report on the quality of these areas would be a big help.

Which GMU would you hunt out of 62, 65, 81, and 80?

How much will the hunter density increase in
adjacent units with the SW region of CO requiring a draw for 2020?

Thank You and Happy Hunting,

hikeswithbow

I hate to beat a dead horse but don't even think for one second you are going to pack the elk out by yourself, it's unrealistic. In fact, just breaking the animal down by yourself is going to be quite a chore and you may have to act fast. If they die in the sun, that's where you clean him. Also, even a good shot can take hours of tracking if he doesn't bleed good. As also mentioned, don't go too deep by yourself or off trails too far that horses can't get to you fairly easily. As far as the hunt itself, hunt the sign no matter where you find it. There's a spot I hunt that I have had great success and there is a string of hunters that go right by me every day to get deep. Hunt the sign.

One last thing, and don't take this the wrong way, I would really try to find at least one other person to go with you. Preferably with experience. One of my good friends is someone I actually met on here years ago looking for someone to split costs to elk hunt with. Try a partner out for a year and if it doesn't work out try someone else. A lot safer too.

jimmy88

FNG
Hi all, I drew 1st rifle for unit 62 as a newbie. I've scouted a fair portion of big Dominguez Canyon and areas West of Wagon Park. After 17 miles on foot and another 20 in the truck looking for open trail heads, I found a few decent areas with lots of poop around dried up water holes. My concern is that most of the sign looked months old as though it was more of a winter range area and possibly not ideal for the first week of October. I am trying to get out one more time before the season starts to hike the areas between Brush Mountain and Kelso point. Can anyone give me insight if I am wasting my time there or will that range be occupied with more than just orange bodies during 1st rifle? I appreciate any feedback as I will most likely only get one more shot at this before I PCS outta here.

11boo

WKR
I hate to beat a dead horse but don't even think for one second you are going to pack the elk out by yourself, it's unrealistic. In fact, just breaking the animal down by yourself is going to be quite a chore and you may have to act fast. If they die in the sun, that's where you clean him. Also, even a good shot can take hours of tracking if he doesn't bleed good. As also mentioned, don't go too deep by yourself or off trails too far that horses can't get to you fairly easily. As far as the hunt itself, hunt the sign no matter where you find it. There's a spot I hunt that I have had great success and there is a string of hunters that go right by me every day to get deep. Hunt the sign.

One last thing, and don't take this the wrong way, I would really try to find at least one other person to go with you. Preferably with experience. One of my good friends is someone I actually met on here years ago looking for someone to split costs to elk hunt with. Try a partner out for a year and if it doesn't work out try someone else. A lot safer too.

Come on man. If you are in good shape and not in too deep it can be done. I have done solo pack outs 4 times. Is it easy, no. Can it be done, yes.

i do prefer the 3/4 ton mule though. She hauls two at a time, with one quartered.

A1D242F2-A6CF-4B0B-AEEA-E3F0F1B14B57.jpeg

OP
B
Congrats on drawing an archery tag down here. Send me a Pm with any questions, I live and hunt here so I help however I can.
I'm trying to send a PM but having some issues, as soon as I get it figured out I will send you a message, Thanks.