First time archery elk montana

Bligneel

FNG
Hey guys new to the site names Brandon and I'm from Minnesota. Me and 3 buddys are planning a diy backpack archery elk hunt in montana September 12th-22nd as long as we can get a tag or 2. I've got a lot of questions since this will be our first ever elk hunt and just wanna get a game plan as best as possible on what to expect. My first question is what's the likelihood of us getting a general tag or 2? And if we do get a tag what can we expect for weather around that time? Any suggestions on gear from backpacks, to clothing, tents, sleeping bags? Lastly if we do get a tag any pointers on where to start our search into areas of the state to hunt? I know we have alot to learn and alot to prepare for so sorry for all the questions but any info is much appreciated! Feel free to pm me as well!

tntrker

WKR
I thought a general tag was taking 2 points, but 2 friends drew their tags this year with no points. I think Montana does a certain % of nonres tags in a "random drawing" so there is always a chance...

Hi @Bligneel, welcome to Rokslide. You pretty much asked every question in the book, topics that cover the width and breadth of this very comprehensive western hunting community. Could I suggest taking some time and snooping around and reading active topics, and then using the search function to research more specific topics? You'll find many thousands of folks have already chimed in on these topics before.

Beyond this website, I would urge you to find someone local to you that could be a mentor for you, someone who has done it before. Go meet for some beers and fire away with your questions.

OP
B

Bligneel

FNG
@Dos Perros I've been doing a lot of digging through forms and have been learning a lot from them! Just figured I would put out a form as well just to see about getting some more info from some of you! I'll keep looking around and continue to hopefully pick up some more tips! As far as a mentor goes we don't have anybody we know that's done any of this before. We're just trying to start into it and hoping to be able to enjoy the west landscape and hopefully over the years have some successful hunts to go along with it!

OP
B

Bligneel

FNG
@SuperDUECE22 I didn't ask for handouts? I was hoping to get a bit of help into what we're getting into. It's something we have never done and are trying to learn. Was just looking for tips on what to expect so that we're better prepared. I have been doing research and looking into different aspects and I just put out a form of my own in hopes people could help with recommendations on gear, weather, do's and don'ts. Sorry if it came off as looking for a handout because that's far from what it is.

@SuperDUECE22 I didn't ask for handouts? I was hoping to get a bit of help into what we're getting into. It's something we have never done and are trying to learn. Was just looking for tips on what to expect so that we're better prepared. I have been doing research and looking into different aspects and I just put out a form of my own in hopes people could help with recommendations on gear, weather, do's and don'ts. Sorry if it came off as looking for a handout because that's far from what it is.
how about this:
1) probably won't draw a tag unless you have a few preference points (MT does give a % of TAGS to zero pt holders so there is a chance... i think they still do anyway) https://fwp.mt.gov/
2) weather can be sunny and 80 or below freezing with snow plus everything in between
2) I would recommend truck camping for your first year (easier to move spots & then you don't have to spend as much on gear your first year)
3) Gear doesn't kill elk, wear whatever hunting clothing you already own (camo pattern doesn't matter)
4) backpack - can use anything from a $20 Jansport combined with a $50 external pack frame all the way up to the $600 plus range packs (Exo Mtn, Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, Stone Glacier)
5) tents/sleeping bags - once again I'd recommend truck camping and you can get by with whatever sleeping bags you already own and a cheap tent, if your hell bent on packing in that's a whole different can of worms all together
6) where to hunt? - that's the million-dollar question. Me and my hunting partner literally threw a dart at the map & went because we had zero experience between the both of us. Took us years to figure it out & notch our first tag but doing it on your own w/out any help will make it that much sweeter when it happens.

DavePwns

WKR
If you are eager to kill an elk and want to improve your odds of finding elk, spend a fair amount of time studying Corey Jacobsons elk 101 course. He gives you info that will put you at least a couple years ahead of most new elk hunters.

S.Clancy

WKR
If you really want to kill an elk, go with an outfitter. Archery odds are 10% or less for residents, yours are worse.
If you want the adventure, hopefully draw the tag and go hunting and learn. Do that a whole bunch of times, you'll kill one at some point.

I thought a general tag was taking 2 points, but 2 friends drew their tags this year with no points. I think Montana does a certain % of nonres tags in a "random drawing" so there is always a chance...
Nothing in this comment is accurate! Lol

Djacker

WKR
Hey guys new to the site names Brandon and I'm from Minnesota. Me and 3 buddys are planning a diy backpack archery elk hunt in montana September 12th-22nd as long as we can get a tag or 2. I've got a lot of questions since this will be our first ever elk hunt and just wanna get a game plan as best as possible on what to expect. My first question is what's the likelihood of us getting a general tag or 2? And if we do get a tag what can we expect for weather around that time? Any suggestions on gear from backpacks, to clothing, tents, sleeping bags? Lastly if we do get a tag any pointers on where to start our search into areas of the state to hunt? I know we have alot to learn and alot to prepare for so sorry for all the questions but any info is much appreciated! Feel free to pm me as well!
I was in your shoes 13 years ago when I started elk hunting, I too am from MN. Don't over think your first elk hunt. I went with an outfitter my first year, learned alot. If you hunt whitetails in MN you already have most cloths needed to hunt elk. As mentioned above, I'd truck camp too. It's easier and you'll probably sleep better. I will send you a PM

Lelder

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t want to discourage you from hunting in Montana but you may want to Consider a state that has OTC tags for archery. At least then you know that your going hunting.

MTN BUM

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome Blingneel! The west is a wonderful place, and hunting is the best way to experience it. IMO.

A few things:
This is likley to be your introduction to the Western hunting community. You will not find a more generous, honest, hard working group of people out there. But something you should keep in mind: There is a general feeling right now that opportunities for western state hunters are getting harder and harder to come by. So when someone pops in and says "Im a new out of state guy, what area of your state should I hunt?" (which happens about 17 times a day on here) it plucks a sore string. I dont hold the questions against you, just some friendly advice that if you want to get useful info from people you should show that you have made a good bit of effort on your own. Now that that is out of the way:

Your odds last year of a general tag in MT with no pref points was about 60%, so with multiples applying it is likley that one or more of you will draw. Keep in mind as I said above, the number of nonresident hunters is increasing every single year and the number of tags is not. That means your odds this year will probably be somewhat lower than the 60% from last year.

Weather is a crapshoot, not even going to try it. You will need to have an area in mind to have any reasonable idea of what the weather might be. It is not an exaggeration as stated above. It can be anywhere from zero to 95 during September in MT.

Gear: All of these depend somewhat on budget and experience. I completely agree that if this is your first year out west it is a good idea to get your feet wet with tent camping. I ran into a guy a few years ago from out east who rented some horses and packed in to the backcountry area I like to hunt. We got 3 feet of snow up there the first week of the hunt. He had to leave his son at camp, post hole his way out to get snowshoes to go back and get his son, and try to get permission to take his horses out through some private land. He lost two rented horses and put his son in real danger. Learn what you are doing before firing off into the backcountry.

-Backpacks: Get a load hauling backpack. Can be external or internal frame, but make sure it is designed to carry weight.
-Clothing: Huge variability based on where you go, time of year, etc. What I would say is you MUST have insulation layers and rain gear to keep dry. The more you spend the better these work and the lighter they are.
-Tents: Depends on preference. You would need to tell us some about your experience. Are you truck camping? Have you camped/backpacked before? Have you tried floorless? Are you possibly hunting late season? This is one topic that has 100s of threads on here to help you narrow down.
-Sleeping bags: Again, many threads out there. I would boil it down to your choice of down vs synthetic. Once you decide that it points you to the few reliable options out there for each. Personal advice if you are just starting and want a do it all bag would be a synthetic (keeps you warm when wet), probably around the 20 degree rating mark (again, might change based on your plans.
-Where to hunt in my great state: I hear there are a lot of elk in Colorado ;). Beyond that you need to first decide what experience you want from a hunt. Do you want to see beautiful country and dont care much how many animals you see? Do you want to cover the high/steep/deep? Do you need to stick to more mildterrain? Do you want to sleep in a hotel and see animals every day? Narrow down your goals for the hunt, that will narrow down your area and make you able to ask more directed and informed questions.

Good luck with the search. If you have any specific questions about gear, tactics, areas that YOU have researched- feel free to PM me and Ill be as helpful as I can.

@Dos Perros I've been doing a lot of digging through forms and have been learning a lot from them! Just figured I would put out a form as well just to see about getting some more info from some of you! I'll keep looking around and continue to hopefully pick up some more tips! As far as a mentor goes we don't have anybody we know that's done any of this before. We're just trying to start into it and hoping to be able to enjoy the west landscape and hopefully over the years have some successful hunts to go along with it!

Have you considered joining your local Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation and attending a banquet? You could find a mentor there.

Also, there is a Rally Point section on this forum. Might be handy to keep an eye out for local meetups, or even organize one yourself.

Call your local Boone and Crockett scorers, ask who has brought them elk the last few years, they'll know people who hunt elk. Same with taxidermists.

Everyone knows someone, just be asking around and you'll find people. I knew a guy through a flyshop I frequented, knew he had hunted elk before. Asked him to go for a beer and before the tabs were paid we had agreed to go on a hunt together. Met a guy through RMEF. BHA might be another option. Your local shooting range, archery range. Even here in KS I run across plenty of people who go west. You know folks, you just don't know you know them yet.

#1 piece of advice: be persistent in everything you do.

Id also say have a backup state in mind of you dont draw. Even if its a crowded colorado otc tag youll atleast get your feet wet and know what your in for and what to look for when you draw montana.
And id also agree with above, truck camping is probably your best bet. your going to learn a ton doing that and you can stay more mobile which is also key to finding a good spot in my opinion. Your very commited to an area if you backpacked in.

Nothing in this comment is accurate! Lol
How so? I believe this is what @tntrker & myself were talking about. This was forwarded to me directly from a MT fwp agent

10) PREFERENCE POINTS: You may elect to purchase a Preference Point with your application. A Preference Point improves your odds of drawing a nonresident combination license. You may purchase a Preference Point at the time of application or, if you are not applying for a license this year, between July 1, 2021, and September 30, 2021. Per MCA 87-2-115(5) and MCA 87-2-115(6) The department shall issue 75% of the combination licenses to applicants in the order of which applicants have purchased the greatest number of preference points. The department shall issue 25% of the combination licenses to applicants who have not purchased any preference points.

Last edited:

hobbes

WKR
Below is what the MCA says, effective March 1, 2022. Looks like preference point cost is going up and outfitted hunters can buy 2 points.

87-2-115. (Effective March 1, 2022) Nonresident elk and deer license preference point system. (1) The department shall establish a preference point system to distribute Class B-10 nonresident big game combination licenses and Class B-11 nonresident deer combination licenses.

(2) Nonresidents applying to purchase a Class B-10 or Class B-11 license may purchase a preference point, upon payment of a nonrefundable $100 fee, that gives an applicant who has more preference points priority to receive a Class B-10 or Class B-11 license over an applicant who has purchased fewer preference points.

(3) An applicant may:

(a) purchase only one preference point per license year except a nonresident hunting with an outfitter licensed pursuant to Title 37, chapter 47, part 3, and providing the documentation required in subsection (8), may purchase two preference points per license year. No applicant may accumulate more than three preference points total.

(b) purchase a preference point without applying for a Class B-10 or Class B-11 license. An applicant not applying for a Class B-10 or Class B-11 license may purchase a preference point only between July 1 and December 31 of that license year.

(4) (a) The department shall delete an applicant's accumulated preference points if the applicant:

(i) obtains a Class B-10 or Class B-11 license; or

(ii) does not apply for a Class B-10 or Class B-11 license in consecutive years.

(b) If an applicant is unsuccessful in drawing a Class B-10 or Class B-11 license, the department shall allow the applicant to keep and apply preference points to subsequent drawings if done in consecutive years.

(5) The department shall issue 75% of the Class B-10 and Class B-11 licenses made available for purchase pursuant to 87-2-505 and 87-2-510 by drawings in which the licenses are awarded to applicants in the order of which applicants have purchased the greatest number of preference points. If the number of licenses to be issued under this subsection exceeds the number of applicants who have purchased preference points, the remaining licenses must be added to the licenses issued pursuant to subsection (6).

(6) The department shall issue 25% of the Class B-10 and Class B-11 licenses made available for purchase pursuant to 87-2-505 and 87-2-510 by drawings in which the licenses are awarded to applicants who have not purchased any preference points. If the number of licenses to be issued under this subsection exceeds the number of applicants who have not purchased preference points, the remaining licenses must be added to the licenses issued pursuant to subsection (5).

(7) Up to five applicants may apply as a party under this section. The department shall use an average of the number of preference points accumulated by those applicants to determine their priority in receiving licenses issued pursuant to subsection (5). The department shall calculate the average rounded to the third decimal place.

(8) A nonresident purchasing a second preference point pursuant to subsection (3)(a) shall provide written affirmation at the time of application indicating the name and license number of the outfitter with whom the person intends to hunt. If the nonresident obtains the license applied for with the preference points purchased pursuant to subsection (3)(a), the nonresident may only use the license when accompanied by an outfitter or the outfitter's designee licensed to provide guiding services.

(9) (a) Fees collected from a nonresident purchasing a second preference point pursuant to subsection (3)(a) must be allocated as follows:

(i) 25% to public access land agreements established pursuant to 87-1-295;

(ii) 25% to hunting access programs established pursuant to 87-1-265;

(iii) 25% to the future fisheries program established in 87-1-272 with a priority given to funding projects that provide public access through private property; and

(iv) 25% to the purchase of permanent easements through private property to access otherwise inaccessible lands. An easement funded by this subsection (9)(a)(iv) may be granted only across private land to public land that is leased by the landowner, public land for which there is no leaseholder, or public land for which the landowner has consent of the leaseholder.

(b) The department may expend up to 10% of the revenue allocated pursuant to subsection (9)(a) to pay administrative costs incurred by the department for the purposes outlined in subsection (9)(a), including but not limited to contracting and transaction costs incurred by the department or entities partnering with the department, and for providing support to the private land/public wildlife advisory committee for its review of public access land agreements pursuant to 87-1-295.

(c) At the end of each fiscal year, funds allocated pursuant to subsection (9)(a) that remain unobligated are available to the department for any purpose pursuant to 87-1-201(3).

PaBone

Lil-Rokslider
My two son's and I hunted Montana last year and were lucky enough to draw a general tag our first year with no preference points, but I know several that did not draw. We backpacked in and like any hunting trip it takes a solid plan on where to start and having a plan B, C, D and E if your first spot is a bust. I spent all summer studying maps, using my gear, elk calling, shooting my bow and getting prepared. It's amazing how fast the summer goes, so don't dilly dally. We met lots of good people in Montana and I was in a state of depression when I got home, I really had a hard time getting back into whitetail mode hunting Pa. and Ohio after chasing elk.

TL406

Lil-Rokslider
Just wanna echo the recommendation to truck camp. Between the added gear and commitment to one spot, etc. that makes a lot more moving parts in the whole deal if you don’t have a real good idea of what you’re getting into to begin with…and decide what you think about grizzlies (that opens or closes some pretty big patches of the state)