First time archery elk montana

tntrker

WKR
Nothing in this comment is accurate! Lol
Everything in that comment was completely accurate. I was THINKING it took 2 points to draw, I had 2 friends that had no points draw 2 tags, and I THINK Montana gives a certain % of tags at random, or I should have said to persons with no points. There is ALWAYS a chance..Looks like you're the inaccurate one here...

Tallfeller454

Lil-Rokslider
Blig,

Another great tactic is to start off by doing some research on past threads and private messaging the people posting on the topic. You will find it very tough to get info by starting threads like this on any western species mule deer, elk, antelope, bigfoot, etc.

Also if you guys do not draw a tag in Montana this year, pick any western state and go get some boots on the ground experience. Western hunting has a steep learning curve from fitness, gear, tactics, etc.

Good luck to you all in the draw.

svivian

WKR
Odds are against you on drawing a general tag. Pretty much gets worse every year.

Go to the Bob. Tons of elk, no predators and almost no shin busting, rectum stabbing blowdown. Only place better is Frank Church in Idaho.
You're Savage lol

OP
B

Bligneel

FNG
To the OP

May we ask which 'influencer' got you interested in hunting
Nobody lol... not much of a social media fanatic or watching videos of "I fluencers"... its just been something I've wanted to do since I picked up archery hunting.

KOK

FNG
Hey guys new to the site names Brandon and I'm from Minnesota. Me and 3 buddys are planning a diy backpack archery elk hunt in montana September 12th-22nd as long as we can get a tag or 2. I've got a lot of questions since this will be our first ever elk hunt and just wanna get a game plan as best as possible on what to expect. My first question is what's the likelihood of us getting a general tag or 2? And if we do get a tag what can we expect for weather around that time? Any suggestions on gear from backpacks, to clothing, tents, sleeping bags? Lastly if we do get a tag any pointers on where to start our search into areas of the state to hunt? I know we have alot to learn and alot to prepare for so sorry for all the questions but any info is much appreciated! Feel free to pm me as well!
let's go Brandon

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
I think you would get a better response if you offered to move some wolves from Minnesota to Montana to kill some of our wolves....just saying

Dead Coyote

Lil-Rokslider
With my 3 trips to Montana Elk & Deer Hunting Last Fall. One week of Archery, One week of Rifle Elk and One weekend Rifle Deer. I have learned a Big Lesson. Get away from any National Forest Trails. Be it 4x4, Side by Side, ATV, or Motor Bike, because they are OVER RUN with vehicles thru Elk Season. Some have date cut off's, but they still trespass to Hell won't have it. Most say, other people do it, so why can't I? Because two wrongs do not make a right! Walk-in Private Land was even driven on by Hunters. With my experience with ELK and Off Road vehicles driving 24/7 around, you won't be finding any Elk. "Get away from marked trails" BLM Land was not as Bad, because it get's patrolled more often. But it still had traffic and off roaders too.

A four letter word would of helped greatly this past season. "SNOW" It would have shut most trails down to off road vehicles. I just hate to take off at 4 am, on a 5 mile hike only to have a Side by Side Blast past at Daylight in the last 1/2 mile of my hike to my hunting spot. Not to pour more Salt on the wound, but when coming out in the afternoon. The same rig was coming back thru with a couple Cow Elk Quarters in the back. He has the Balls to stop and say, you will have to get one of these Polaris Generals if you want to kill ELK. I turned and walked away in anger.

Now I don't mean all people who use Off Road Vehicles to hunt with are bad. They have their place. Again I say, They have their place!

SO in my 30 years of Elk Hunting, I just want to pass this tip along. Stay away from the Off Road Trails for Trying to Hunt Game. And most people wonder why most game is on Private Land surrounding these areas. PRESSURE

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys new to the site names Brandon and I'm from Minnesota. Me and 3 buddys are planning a diy backpack archery elk hunt in montana September 12th-22nd as long as we can get a tag or 2. I've got a lot of questions since this will be our first ever elk hunt and just wanna get a game plan as best as possible on what to expect. My first question is what's the likelihood of us getting a general tag or 2? And if we do get a tag what can we expect for weather around that time? Any suggestions on gear from backpacks, to clothing, tents, sleeping bags? Lastly if we do get a tag any pointers on where to start our search into areas of the state to hunt? I know we have alot to learn and alot to prepare for so sorry for all the questions but any info is much appreciated! Feel free to pm me as well!
Be super cool and super smart and hire a guide/outfitter. You and your buddies can share the cost, learn a ton, make new friends, and likely get a shot opportunity. If you're super cool and work hard and keep a positive attitude and tip well, you might get invited back, and that's how you EARN the right to hunt elk.

Hi @Bligneel, welcome to Rokslide. You pretty much asked every question in the book, topics that cover the width and breadth of this very comprehensive western hunting community. Could I suggest taking some time and snooping around and reading active topics, and then using the search function to research more specific topics? You'll find many thousands of folks have already chimed in on these topics before.

Beyond this website, I would urge you to find someone local to you that could be a mentor for you, someone who has done it before. Go meet for some beers and fire away with your questions.
As someone who was ragged up and down before understanding how this (and similar) sites worked, I really appreciate how you kindly directed him in the direction he should be looking. Really appreciate this attitude and helpful mindset!

AbSandy

FNG
Weather in NW Mt that time of year is pretty mild and dry. I would start looking at the large chunks of public land in the western part of the state. Do your research, find a trail head and hike in.

Montana game and fish has lots of info on the units. Look at the conservation tab and pick elk and you can see population reports as well as past reports from previous years. Picking a area depends lots on the type of hunting you want to do. thick and calling or open and glassing.

No s are against you on drawing a general tag. Pretty much gets worse every year.
Go to the Bob. Tons of elk, no predators and almost no shin busting, rectum stabbing blowdown. Only place better is Frank Church in Idaho.
Lol no the bob's don't have tons of elk a quick Montana elk population google search will
Give an idea of population of some of the bett general units
Same with the frank. Hard hunting very few elk for the size of the unit and tons of hunters
Also the frank is btter accessed with horses or planes quit trying to deter the man
Op enjoy your hunt I'm sure if you draw you'll
Have a great hunt and see plenty of elk /deer

OP
B

Bligneel

FNG
Figured I could give a little update on how the hunting was. Ended up not pulling a tag for montana and ended up in colorado. Started out hiking into an area and setting up a camp. found quite a bit of older sign but nothing fresh so after a couple days we moved to a new area at higher elevation. Ended up hiking in 4 miles and found 3 nice bulls and cows. Got the sneak on a nice 6x6 and got to 50 yards but was never able to get a clear shot. We were on him at 50 yards 3 different times in a 2 hour time frame but just couldn't get a clear shot. 3rd time the wind shifted and he was gone. All in all for a first elk trip we were extremely happy with the opportunities we had and can't wait to get back out this coming year! Hope you all had a good year!

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
Figured I could give a little update on how the hunting was. Ended up not pulling a tag for montana and ended up in colorado. Started out hiking into an area and setting up a camp. found quite a bit of older sign but nothing fresh so after a couple days we moved to a new area at higher elevation. Ended up hiking in 4 miles and found 3 nice bulls and cows. Got the sneak on a nice 6x6 and got to 50 yards but was never able to get a clear shot. We were on him at 50 yards 3 different times in a 2 hour time frame but just couldn't get a clear shot. 3rd time the wind shifted and he was gone. All in all for a first elk trip we were extremely happy with the opportunities we had and can't wait to get back out this coming year! Hope you all had a good year!
Sounds like a hell of a self guided first elk hunt, OTC to boot. Well done!

When I started non resident elk hunting there was no internet. Couldn't go to Google maps,go hunt or any hunting site. We made long distance calls to the Fish and Game offices of state we wanted to hunt. Ordered topo maps (paper) and made copies for each person. Picked up trail and hiking maps from state field office when we got there. 6of us pooled our resources of existing camp equipment that we had. Actually rented a tent so we had two of them. We were all deer hunters so we had clothes and bows. For packs we had everything from new to garage sale special's. We camped at a state campground that had a trailhead. Split into 3 groups of 2 we would hunt different areas each day. Covered a lot of ground but was never stuck to just one spot. People on here have provided you a lot of information now you need to put it all together. A decent pack and pair of boots go a long way. Use the equipment you have, don't invest your life savings on latest and greatest. Truck camp,use this first year to learn what you really need and just how hard elk hunting really is. Some of you may never come back others will be addicted. By the way we did get an elk that 1st year,a ton of experience and memories to last a lifetime. Good luck on your adventure .