First time Arizona Archery Deer Partners - Jan 2019

Hello, I live in Los Angeles and was thinking of going on my first mule deer hunt in Arizona, but honestly I don't know if I have the right gear and experience enough to go it alone. I was thinking that if anyone is headed out that way that I could learn a bit from, I could help them with glassing and packing. Maybe even buy a tag and see about landing a buck myself if possible. I am 30 years old and pretty fit. I have been whitetail hunting for about 6 years or so, but only been on two western hunts, neither of which I saw anything on.

Things I have:

-Mathews Halon 6 (Comfortable shooting to ~50yards)
-Vortex Binos and Rangefinder
-Kifaru pack
-Tent and sleeping bag

Things I don't have:

-Coolers
-Spotting Scope
-Location knowledge
-Spot and Stalk experience

I figure if I get in on a trip out there with someone who has room in their coolers, I will buy a tag, but if not I will just go for the experience. I could meet up around LA or meet someone out there. If anyone is interested, send me a DM, thanks!

amp713

WKR
Hey man I will be there in January if the cards land right.... if we overlap we can meet up. It's my first year tying the otc archery in Arizona so I dont have a lot of anything but time and drive...

I may go again this January but not for sure yet. I have hunted down there a few times now. I may take my toy hauler down this year. If I do plenty of room. Just not sure yet.

OP
FredoTwoWheels
Sweet, if either of you guys have something definite let me know, my work is very flexible so I can make most any dates work.

Jebuwh

Lil-Rokslider
Hey man I will be there in January if the cards land right.... if we overlap we can meet up. It's my first year tying the otc archery in Arizona so I dont have a lot of anything but time and drive...

You interested in carpooling? Haha. I really want to go. But the cost of going by myself sucks.

bascott1

WKR
I'm thinking about heading that way if my buddy can get off work. What area is everyone looking at going? Gonna fly and rent a 4x4 more than likely.

For $20 I can get sent to the same spots as everyone else? Sounds too good to be true. What’s the catch?

As of now, not too many people know about it, I was impressed. I bought 2 just to look them over on google earth. I don’t hunt those units but wanted to see what it was about. For $20 bucks what do you have to lose?

- - - Updated - - -

Lol hiring a guide is that legal? Yes. Most of us don’t have 5K to drop on a guide.... If you’re out of State and never hunted the AZ OTC hunt, this is a great way to start.

Wizbang07

FNG
I'm debating about heading down on Jan 4th for about a week to hunt unit 9 OTC. Just not sure if I want to spend the money on the tag this year since it'll be my first time or if I should take a scouting season to see what I'm getting into. What unit are you looking into hunting?

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Any update? Did any of you connect? How did the hunts go?