First time backcountry diy Methods of packing food and what food?

Osturgill

FNG
I’m headed to Colorado early archery this year first time looking for peoples methods of what foods u Pack and how u do ur daily meals. I’ve seen some videos of people calculating daily intake goals an separating all portions is there any other tips or foods that are great in backcountry

PNWGATOR

WKR
Some variety of the following portioned out appropriately in snack/sandwich bags or vacuum sealed and then into a daily 1 gallon zip lock:

Via coffee
ProBar
Jerky
Snack sticks
Cheese
Trail mix or mixed nuts
Butthole sandwich
Gu
Granola bar topped with peanut/almond butter
Snickers/Protien bar
Mountain House or similar/different/homemade

Fireball

Makes it pretty easy. I’ll grab one daily ration and put it in my pack and leave the fireball and remaining bags cached in camp where ever we’ve spiked out.

One additional recommendation is to have a some ‘real’ food at your truck. Pretty nice reward when you get back.

Last edited:

hogcarpy

FNG
I’m pretty simple. Couple protein/granola bars in the morning and two mountain houses per day. I like to leave fast in the morning and cook a MH about 11. I typically don’t finish the MH, so I use it for a snack later in the day. My second MH is a pro pack, so a smaller serving. This is for everyone but I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Osturgill

Osturgill

FNG
Thanks I’m still trying to decide but I doubt I’ll be able to keep it that simple but I need to get some mtn house meals to test what I like have never had them yet

Are you talking about carrying camp on your back into the backcountry?

If so, I’d highly encourage you to take some of these suggestions, and then actually go on a backpacking trip for at least as many days as you plan to hunt...ideally in the same area or type of terrain you are hunting.

A lot of people like the IDEA of camping 10 miles back with only what they carried. Actually doing it is not for everyone. Have you ever gone 7-10 days without showering, AC, fresh meat/veggies, or a comfy bed while also hiking your tail off? Make sure you can do that before trying to do it while also hunting for elk.

@PNWGATOR has good recommendations in my opinion. My #1 suggestion is to TRY EVERYTHING before you go, and #2 is add as much variety from day to day as you can. Just mix it up with different entrees or lunch/snack options. The

If you are backpacking in for several days, packing everything you need for a single day really helps IMO because it prevents you from overpacking food (which is relatively heavy), but also ensures you have enough calories... provided of course that you can estimate how hard you’ll be going day to day. It’s less important if you are day hunting but still convenient to just grab a pre-made bag every morning and go.

Everyone has their taste preferences too. I like the Greenbelly apricot bars as a solid lunch or big snack option. If you pack a stove and like hot lunch options, I really like Mama Pat’s low sodium ramen... one of the few truly good low sodium options I’ve found. You can beef that up by topping with some cured meat or dried shredded pork.

Via coffee is good and easy to find. That said, I got turned on to the Tioga Rise coffee via Alpen Fuel and I personally think it’s a darn good cup of coffee.

You may quickly tire of the super high sodium commercially available dehydrated foods out there, but you’re probably not ready to make your own. If that’s the case, we’re in the same boat. Let me know if you find any good low sodium options that also have enough calories to count as a real meal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Osturgill

Osturgill

FNG
I seen the peak refuel on blackovis they had sale on them they looked like a better quality meal than mtn house. We plan on packing camp on our back for 2-3 days at a time coming back to truck replenish everything that’s if things go as planned if we don’t get on the elk we won’t be back in for that long planning to stay mobile

mdp22

FNG
While I still try a Mountain House or similar meals every now and then, I find they give me heartburn and an upset stomach. I've thought of getting a dehydrator and making my own, but for the last couple years I've become a Couscous/Knorr meal guy. Cheap and taste good as you can add your own protein/seasonings/condiments. Lot's of nutritious/lightweight food at your local grocer.

OP
Osturgill

Osturgill

FNG
While I still try a Mountain House or similar meals every now and then, I find they give me heartburn and an upset stomach. I've thought of getting a dehydrator and making my own, but for the last couple years I've become a Couscous/Knorr meal guy. Cheap and taste good as you can add your own protein/seasonings/condiments. Lot's of nutritious/lightweight food at your local grocer.
Could you give any more info on couscous/knorr meals any recipe or a link to some things on sounds interesting I like idea of adding my own protein/seasonings

Could you give any more info on couscous/knorr meals any recipe or a link to some things on sounds interesting I like idea of adding my own protein/seasonings
I do the same thing, buy a knorr Lipton meal for as many nights as you'll be out there. They are like a dollar a piece sometimes cheaper. Get 2 tuna packets and mix that in with the knorr Lipton meal. There is your dinner way better for you than a mountain house or mre and way more protein it's much cheaper as well, mountain house are shit for the money they charge. For lunch I have 2 smaller packets of tuna and a sandwich bag filled with trail mix. Breakfast bring those Quaker oatmeal instant packets that are like blueberries and cream or whatever, 2 of those for every morning you're out there. Misc snacks I bring for each day are clif bloks and bars, jerky and fruit snacks. Pack all that for as many days as you're spiked out and you're good to go. I realize not everyone can stomach that much tuna so bring those chicken or tuna packets instead or whatever protein you like. It's all what you like to eat. But like some of these other dudes said I would get a feel for regular backpacking first

mdp22

FNG

I get several varieties of Near East Couscous so I don’t get bored and separate the servings into individual freezer bags and add water.

Idahoan instant potatoes are good also, add a gravy envelope and chicken/turkey/other protein and you have a decent end of day meal. Or just enjoy plain with some olive oil or butter if you bring it.

Knorr noodle or rice meals with tuna, chicken, etc., added are great also. I try to get ones where I just add water but do add olive oil.

You do have to watch the sodium or buy plain items instead of a seasoned variety and make your own style.

I’m a Honey Bun type guy for breakfast, something fast that tastes good and has lot’s calories. Instant Starbucks Vias or similiar are great.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Cheese: generally tillamook cheddar, mozzarella or pepper jack. Whatever you like. Doesn’t matter. It’s cheese. Don’t sweat it.

Andrew Skurka has good recommendations on home made backcountry food on his blog. He lives this stuff.

Proving Trail Adventures has a snapshot photo of their food prep someplace on one of their pages or blogs that’s useful. These guys hunt hard and hike a long way and have to carry everything they eat.

Lots of good advice given!

RockinU

Lil-Rokslider
I usually have some instant oatmeal, coffee, a meal bar, and a dehydrated meal a day with some jerky, or trail mix, or nuts mixed in here or there. Don't really matter the brand, it's just fuel for the next day...except for the Mountain House Chili Mac...you gotta be careful with that stuff.

Bubba94

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks I’m still trying to decide but I doubt I’ll be able to keep it that simple but I need to get some mtn house meals to test what I like have never had them yet
Mtn houses are pretty good. I just made some of my own meals and it was really easy for a fraction of the cost. I even heat sealed them in mylar bags with O2 packs for shelf stability. There are countless dehydrated meal recipes online that you could try.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

shedav14

FNG
I have been making dehydrated meals for our backcountry hunts for 3 years now and once you have it down it can be simple. I would try and calculate your macros and your daily caloric need. This helps to know how much food you should be taking. We have an Excalibur dehydrator that works great. I would start with something as simple as a spaghetti crockpot meal and then dehydrate it once it is cooked. Another good starter is doing your own dried fruit or fruit leather. We use mtn house still for some breakfasts but there are some really simple alternatives so you do not have to eat them every day. For lunch, you can use bagels and PB packets (Justin's PB is good). When cooking the meals you can just add water for all of the dehydrated meals, so either putting your meal in a JetBoil and heating it up and using that as a your bowl or you can get dehydrated sealing bags that are like the mountain house bags. I'll attach the link.

Dehydrating your own backcountry food is much easier than people think! Chili is an easy meal to make and dehydrate on your own and rehydrate in a vacuum seal bag!

Brendan

WKR
Dehydrating your own backcountry food is much easier than people think! Chili is an easy meal to make and dehydrate on your own and rehydrate in a vacuum seal bag!

I'm actually making a batch of this today trying to clear out some ground elk/venison... Have everything defrosted, and the Mylar bags and dehydrator ready to go.