First time backcountry diy Methods of packing food and what food?

Clarence

WKR
The bars that Hill people gear has on their website are the bomb for me. I like to substitute dehydrated blueberries and strawberries for craisins. Calorie dense and delicious!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

If you have the time to dehydrate your own meals there are quite a few how to’s on YT. If not mix up your meals like MH and my new Favorite peak meals. I focus on calories. Tried to make sure I ate even when I’m not hungry. Made a big difference when I had to haul a deer 8 miles to a truck. I was wore out at the end but I bet I would have ran out of fuel if I hadn’t eaten then calories I did.

rustneversleeps

Lil-Rokslider
The bars that Hill people gear has on their website are the bomb for me. I like to substitute dehydrated blueberries and strawberries for craisins. Calorie dense and delicious!

Do you dehydrate your own blueberries/strawberries? Thanks for the idea/recipe, been looking for something solid like this

Clarence

WKR
Yes, I freeze them unwashed when they are in season, then fill out the dehydrator when I fire it up whenever. I was glad I stumbled across it last year. Often double it in a 9×13 pan.

Florida Bow Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Are you talking about carrying camp on your back into the backcountry?

If so, I’d highly encourage you to take some of these suggestions, and then actually go on a backpacking trip for at least as many days as you plan to hunt...ideally in the same area or type of terrain you are hunting.

A lot of people like the IDEA of camping 10 miles back with only what they carried. Actually doing it is not for everyone. Have you ever gone 7-10 days without showering, AC, fresh meat/veggies, or a comfy bed while also hiking your tail off? Make sure you can do that before trying to do it while also hunting for elk.

I gotta admit, I’ve survived hurricanes here in South Florida with no electric or gas grills for 2 weeks. Not easy eating tuna from the can, PB&Jelly. But I don’t think I’d be able to hang with you guys on a spike camp hunt. The bathing ? No problem. It’s the food. I need meat protein, seems I’m addicted to it. If a kill was made, I’d be better.

I’m watching Adam Greentree on IG the last couple days drinking water that’s got water buffalo pee in it. No kill yet but a dingo dog. Not sure he cooked it or not, but I’d eat it if I had to. I saw Steve Rinella eat coyote and he said it was ok.

So my hats are off to you guys. You are bad asssss hombre’s ! Smart too in how you dehydrate meals. I guess it pays to do mountain climbing because that’s how they do it.

I just don’t think I’d make it for more than a couple maybe 5 max days. But I am inspired reading and love watching videos of it in action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure I can google this as well, but how the heck does the process of dehydrating chili or spaghetti work? I'm just getting into this.