First time bivying out for a hunt....any advice on condensation

rhendrix

WKR
About to go hunt turkey in NW OK next week for five days, gonna be bivying out of an REI minimalist bivy, North Face Dolomite 2S bag (40*), and a small Thermarest Prolite Pad. I've only tried this set up in my back yard, and even then the temps only got into the low 50's, the problem is I'm having a lot of condensation in the bivy buildup. The bivy has 6 zippers that I can use to vent along with the screen for my face that I can retract, how do I set up those zippers so that I can vent properly? A little condensation doesn't really seem like a big deal, but I'd eventually like to pick up the Kelty Cosmic Down 21, and if I have to worry about condensation I may reconsider.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Fluff your bivy a few times a night should take care of it. I use the Outdoor research advanced Bivy. Its all gortex and I dont get much condensation with it. But it also breathes well. You may want to add in a Ridgerest foam mat with your setup. This does a few things for you. Gets your R value up so your not loosing much induction heat from the ground. Also is more comfort for minimal weight.

Another good idea also is to put one of those highly absorbent Fuzzy towels into your bivy. that will help draw some of the moisture.

Lawnboi

WKR
Don't breath into the bivy! Especially that one. I had really bad condensation with the rei bivy, whether breathing in it or not. I have since switched to a ID bugaboo II. I can seal that thing up and breath in it all night with very very minimal condenation only where I was breathing. the ID is a very impressive bivy.

I ended up returning my rei minimalist bivy...

About to go hunt turkey in NW OK next week for five days, gonna be bivying out of an REI minimalist bivy, North Face Dolomite 2S bag (40*), and a small Thermarest Prolite Pad. I've only tried this set up in my back yard, and even then the temps only got into the low 50's, the problem is I'm having a lot of condensation in the bivy buildup. The bivy has 6 zippers that I can use to vent along with the screen for my face that I can retract, how do I set up those zippers so that I can vent properly? A little condensation doesn't really seem like a big deal, but I'd eventually like to pick up the Kelty Cosmic Down 21, and if I have to worry about condensation I may reconsider.

I had the same issues with that REI bivy. Sold it and got an OR model and couldn't be happier.

Bearen09

FNG
My question is this.. As a sheep hunter I would like to know why all you guys are buying bivys when you can get tents like Big Anges that weight less then those bivys.. just sayen.. Because if you are talking ultra light then you are doing it all wrong..
Loads of room which is never a problem and no condensation.....

And practice with it more too before you head out for five days with it.

Also, if you expect colder weather than you have at home you might want to practice wearing your base layers or some other insulation to see if you are still comfortable and can move in your sleeping bag. The voice of experience speaking here. ;)

Larry

Manosteel

WKR
My question is this.. As a sheep hunter I would like to know why all you guys are buying bivys when you can get tents like Big Anges that weight less then those bivys.. just sayen.. Because if you are talking ultra light then you are doing it all wrong..

I am assuming they are bivying out with a tarp? I am also a sheep hunter and currently run the MSR Hubba 1-man tent which is 56 oz packed (incl. all lines/stakes/footprint) similar to the Bag anges, I like it alot.

But this year I am testing out the ultra-light bivy with Tarp(custom made Mega tarp looking thing) and the Borah Bivy I am looking to get is 6.5 oz w/stuff sack and my tarp with steak and lines wieghts 28.3oz = 34.8oz - close to half the current wieght of my shelter with tons more room. I am testing it out on a weekend bear hunt to see how it will work. If all goes well it will come into the mountains with me.

If it works my sleep system will look like this:
Custom Tarp tent(with sack/steak/guylines) - 28.3
Borah Bivy w sack - 6.5
-10c sleeping bag (with its sack) - 35.4
ThermaRest Ridgerest Sleeping pad - 14
TOTAL = -84.2oz or 5lbs/4.2oz

And I figure use the bivy in case it rains and I don't have a flat spot to pitch my tarp on, this will hopeful elminate getting my bag wet from run-off.

2rocky

WKR
I had the same issues with that REI bivy. Sold it and got an OR model and couldn't be happier.

X2 on the REI bivy. Ti Goat Ptarmagin bivy was my next choice and was better.

Bear, the Bivy is a Fair weather, incase of a thunderstorm in the night, thing for me. I have not found a tent that weighs 5 ounces yet.

For bugs and High probability of wet weather, I'm all about taking a tent...

Good luck with your hunt RH. Turkeys are easier to pack out than elk.

I am looking at a bivy/cuben tarp for a light weight solo 4 season setup. I can not find a 4 season tent that comes close to a bivy/tarp in weight. Otherwise I pretty much agree I run a Big Agnes Fly creek . I do like the simplicity of a bivy "no set up required" and I feel like the space needed to toss down a bivy is much smaller then the clear level area I need to pitch my BA Fly creek

Lawnboi

WKR
paratarp 1lb
ID bugaboo II 1lb4oz

Is that really heavier than UL mountaineering tents?

So that's 2lb 4 oz for a 4 season shelter, with much much more room than those little mountaineering tents. It allows me to pitch it however I want based on weather. I can use it to glass out of. I can take my boots off inside. Water does not collect in it. And did I mention its tough.

Its just a different feeling as well than being cooped up in a little 2man mountaineering tent. Don't get me wrong, I think floored tents have their place and I will always have one in my arsenal but for 90% of stuff in milder weather I choose the bivy/tarp setup. For 3 season stuff, the only time ill take a tent with a floor and netting is if there is going to be a lot of bugs. That's about the only time I take a floored tent

rhenrix I would highly suggest a bivy with event breathable material like the ID bivy I have. It really is amazing how well it breaths.