First Time CO Antelope Hint

kboe

FNG
Hoping to get a little advice for my first antelope hunt this year. Are their any good units to look into that I can get with zero preference points? Or is a better bet to wait for leftovers or OTC options. I’m thinking rifle season. Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. Build points.

I hunted one of the 0 point late season tags this year. Missed opening morning to attend my daughter's dance recital. Went out to STL mid week towards the end of the season. Covered 11 miles creeping through draws and peeking over ridges. Didn't see any critters except cattle and a coyote stuck in a trap. All the pronghorn sign was really old, too.

Same advise as everyone else. Build points in CO for rifle hunts. Look north for a much shorter time frame to hunt quality pronghorn with a rifle.

OP
K

kboe

FNG
Thanks for the advice everyone. Looks like I’ll just start packing away points each year for down the road. Side note I’m assuming up north equals wyoming? How hard is it to get a tag for a Colorado resident? And should I start saving points up there too?

Thanks again for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Toprut has 2018 odds you have to be a member for current odds now

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Fitzwho

WKR
There’s a few tags you could draw in CO if you hunt archery or muzzleloader, but no rifle tags. You can also watch the return tag list and pick one up that way if you’re quick enough.

Wyoming you can hunt every year and still build points by choosing a tougher to draw tag and a unit that usually has leftovers and getting it second choice.

Montana will take 3 points currently to have a good chance at good tags.

New Mexico doesn’t have great draw odds, but no points system, so it’s purely luck of the draw.

Kansas has OTC archery Pronghorn Tags for non-residents, zero rifle tags.

South Dakota is cheap to build points and can get into some units for 1-2 points.

Arizona is a pipe dream, there’s a chance, but it’s a small one. The only reason I apply is because it’s just another $10 on what I’m already spending.

Utah is kind of like AZ but with slightly better odds after 6-10 years.

Nevada is kind of like AZ but with probably worse odds... dang squared bonus points.

California only gives out 1 non-resident antelope tag statewide.

North Dakota doesn’t give out any non-resident antelope tags currently.

Texas has some draw tags, but way easier to pick up a hunt with landowner tag for $1800-$3000 in the panhandle.

Oklahoma I believe is like a mix of Texas and Kansas, lots of private with some landowner tags, and maybe a few public archery tags.