First Time Colorado Elk Hunt - Looking for advice

SeanDC

Lil-Rokslider
This year I am heading out for my first ever elk hunt in Colorado. I live and grew up in Michigan and the only other place I have hunted is North Carolina. I purchased a leftover cow tag for first rifle units 64/65. My thought was to hunt the Uncompaghre Wilderness area. I will have good equipment and I am in pretty good shape (36yrs old). I exercise regularly now and plan to step it up into a very serious workout/diet regimen starting Sept 1st to be as prepared as possible. I obviously lack any elevation in Michigan to add to my preparation so I have some concerns about the elevation in that area. I have spent many seasons out west skiing/snowboarding/hiking throughout the years and never had any issues but I have never done anything this hardcore. My brother will be making the trip out there as well but he spends plenty of time mountain climbing.

I am looking for advice from anyone who has hunted the area. I am not looking for specific recommendations for a spot to hunt, but more along the lines of what to expect and anything I should look out for. I will drive out on Oct 10th, pack out on the 11th and setup a camp, then hunt the 12th through the 16 or until I fill my tag. Currently we are only aiming to fill one tag since we don't know the area and don't want to get into trouble though I would much rather fill two if possible. If anybody could provide general tips/advice that would be awesome. Feel free to PM me.

Thanks!
Sean

Marble

WKR
Your mindset will be your biggest tool. Don't talk yourself off the mountain.

If you have more time to get acclimated, it will help with the altitude difference.

1. It's always steeper than you think so be prepared for hills turning into mountains.
2. Altitude sickness is real. Stay the night below 9k on the first night.
If you really are prepared, the rest is mental. Bring enough food and drink a lot of electrolyte fluids, if you're hungry it's hard to stay.

1) If you're not running bleachers already, start.
2) wet wipes are your friend
3) cotton will kill you
4) spamburgers (spam singles on pita bread) for lunch are the bomb
5) bring the best glass you can afford
6) bring a tripod and binocular mount for #5
7) listen to backcountryshaffer

The only other piece of advice I'll offer is to subscribe to OnX app on your phone, then use it combined with Google Earth tilt view to locate potential glassing points before you ever leave home. I like to have as many glassing points located ahead of my hunt as possible. I mark those on my OnX app, and also note whether they are morning or evening or both. This really helps me plan my scouting days ahead of my hunt. You only get one sunrise and one sunset each day. Use them wisely.

OP
SeanDC

SeanDC

Lil-Rokslider
There are many, many threads addressing this, do a search of rokslide.

I have read every thread on unit 65 that came up in a search here on Rokslide. Most of them didn't provide much useful info. I am looking for info specific to that unit. If you could point me in the right direction of these "many, many" threads you speak of that would be helpful. I am certainly not here trying to waste anyone's time or be lazy and not research.

Well, if you are looking for unit-specific info, this probably isn't the place to look since talking about specific units is very much frowned upon here (for good reason).

It's better to ask general questions and then apply what you learn to the units you've drawn.

So, what type of questions do you have?

cnelk

WKR
1 - A 1st season rifle cow hunt in 65 is not 'hardcore'.

2 - Anyone giving 'specifics' on unit 65 is their own fool

3 - Make your own tracks man, its much more rewarding

4 - Good luck

OP
SeanDC

SeanDC

Lil-Rokslider
@Newtosavage - I would like to know what to expect in 65. Things that a newbie might not be totally prepared for. Should I expect it to be cold and snowy by first rifle? Or is it generally mild? I have been trying to accumulate nice gear especially merino and puffy layers. If it is generally not super cold I don't want to pack a bunch of extra weight. Opinions on whether or not I should expect to bump into a lot of other hunters out there. I do worry about bumping into people and messing them up or making them mad. I very much appreciated your tips on finding glassing spots by the way.

@cnelk - 1. Compared to sitting in a treestand or blind waiting for a whitetail to walk by I think any spot and stalk hunt is "hardcore" and intimidating, especially being up in the mountains and potentially having a long difficult pack-out. I am stoked about the challenge though.

2. I don't want anyone's honey hole or even a general area to hunt. I really just want someone to hear my plan out and say "that is a terrible idea keep working at it" or " that could work, just watch out for xxxxxx" Any directional ideas or constructive criticism.

3. I agree.

4. Thanks!

@RojoGrande - Thank you that was helpful

Like I stated already. I didn't come here to waste anyone's time or look for a free ride. I bought a subscription to OnX. I read the forums. I watch Randy Newberg's YouTube videos. As much as you read or watch nothing beats first hand experience. You guys have already given me good advice and I appreciate that. Most notable the fact that I should look to find a place below 9k ft to camp the first night which there isn't any such place in the area I plan to hunt. If I fail to get an elk this year I am ok with just getting the experience. If I quit early because I am not prepared I will be hugely disappointed in myself.

Thanks again

@Newtosavage - I would like to know what to expect in 65. Things that a newbie might not be totally prepared for. Should I expect it to be cold and snowy by first rifle? Or is it generally mild? I have been trying to accumulate nice gear especially merino and puffy layers. If it is generally not super cold I don't want to pack a bunch of extra weight. Opinions on whether or not I should expect to bump into a lot of other hunters out there. I do worry about bumping into people and messing them up or making them mad. I very much appreciated your tips on finding glassing spots by the way.

2. I don't want anyone's honey hole or even a general area to hunt. I really just want someone to hear my plan out and say "that is a terrible idea keep working at it" or " that could work, just watch out for xxxxxx" Any directional ideas or constructive criticism.

None of the questions you've asked are unit-specific.

1st rifle is generally pretty decent weather, but it's high country in Colorado, so you could get 85 degrees and a sunburn, or (like last year) you could have 14 degrees with 10" of snow on the ground. So it's really impossible to say until the week prior, and even then it's no more than an educated guess.

Even in September, above 10K feet in Colorado, you can easily get 3 seasons in one day. Hell I've had 3 seasons at elevation in one hour! And that's not a joke or an exaggeration. That's why it's so important to have good layers. Because if you plan to hike in, you will literally be changing clothes all day long.

You WILL bump into a lot of other hunters. I grew up hunting "back east" and although the hunter numbers are more dense in the east, it sure SEEMS like there are more hunters in the mountains because you can SEE them all. Expect to see a vehicle (or five) at every trailhead and count yourself lucky if you don't. Also, expect to see drop camps 4+ miles in, so hiking in a long way isn't always the answer.

Bumping into other hunters is part of the game in Colorado. You won't make them mad because there is a ton of country and they are used to seeing other hunters (or should be). It's a different game than the eastern woods where people practically "claim" the 100 acres they hung a stand in and get angry if anyone comes near it. Totally different game.

So again, none of your questions are unit specific. So if you have some other general questions, ask away. If you want to tell your story and see if your plan sounds good, fire away. You'll get plenty of feedback so long as you don't mention specific areas, trailheads, peaks, saddles, creeks, etc.

Bobrunner06

Lil-Rokslider
That's crazy. We have an almost identical story. 31, first elk hunt in CO this year, home state of MI, living in NC for a little while now. Good luck to you!

teesquare

FNG
NC dweller...Texan by birth and scooping. Will be hunting 4th rifle season in Moffit Co. on private land this year. Taking 8 hunters from NC, and MS...I do this every year, and take different folks hunting in the West...Usually ones that - like you are a little intimidated because it is their 1st time out West. So we get together and talk about fitness, altitude, weather, footwear, gear, and travel details. Then we go and site in, and practice at a 200 yard zero on rifles. Feel free to PM me one I have a few more posts... :D...if I can be of any help. I think you have Benn given all good advice with the above - and I can only think of 2 things to add: if you are going deep into he back country - pay attention to what you have in your pack. Not just the usual wants...but the NEEDS in the event you get into trouble. First aid, emergency shelter etc....Second -order some small canned oxygen from Amazon or similar. It may help you adjust to the altitude if you overextend yourself the first day or two.
Best of luck -
T

OP
SeanDC

SeanDC

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys! Good luck to you as well! I keep looking at the maps and trying to revise my plan as well as find backup options.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

11boo

WKR
Your only regret will be not doing it sooner. You will have a blast if you keep a positive attitude.

The usual advice, water, till you piss clear. Only a little booze at night.
Eat well.
Be ready for any weather, but it’ll probably be nice. Could be a fair bit of rain, goretex gaiters keep your feet dry when walking thru wet high grass.

I did my part last year, took a guy from an archery forum into my camp. Kind of like a tinder date without the sex.

He was a successful bow hunter from Iowa, never elk hunted before. He worked hard, and after 5 days of taking him in some harsh terrain he was beat. He got up every morning a couple hours before sunrise every day and I never had to wait for him. Anyway, I had to run back home to pet the wife and left him in camp, he had a couple days left to hunt.

He was run down, so I suggested he hunt close to camp. We had seen fresh sign there, why not. I pulled into my drive a couple hours later and got this on my phone.
700 yards from camp. Not typical, but it can happen. It was alalso7057C3C5-DCF3-4272-A021-9A99CF4EF90C.jpeg

OP
SeanDC

SeanDC

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the inspirational stories! That's a nice bull! I really wanted to get an either sex tag in case I came across a bull. Didn't work out this year so I'm going for a cow. The way I see it I'm going for the meat and the experience so no big loss. I'm not confident enough with my bow to tackle an archery hunt quite yet. But wow that looks exciting!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

fabes22

FNG
I've hunted Unit 65 in archery. The better shape you are in the more enjoyable it will be. It was probably the most physical demanding unit I've hunted in Colorado. It was my first backpack hunt. We ran into some other camps but we still had plenty of area to hunt. It is some vast country! Don't let a few other hunters discourage you. Be prepared for all types of weather. I would also heed backcountryshaffers advice and allow a night to acclimate yourself to the elevation before packing in. It helped us tremendously!

Good luck!

JordanH

Lil-Rokslider
Randy's escouting series will help you find areas to focus on to find sign and then elk if there is fresh sign. Have 5 or 6 options at least.

Layers and synthetic materials that dry quickly are your friend, cotton is not. Merino wool for sox, grundies, and base layers is your best bet then get a mid weight 2nd layer and something warm for the final layer.

And get a good set of rain gear that is not noisy. This might cost you some coin but could save your life in the mtns.

Get yourself a 10x12 silnylon tarp. Light and useful for so many things, emergency shelter, pack cover in rain, a clean place to put meat once it is cut off the elk, and more.

Go until you find fresh sign then slow the heck down. If you smell elk, stop and look around. Don't look for an elk, look for parts of an elk like a leg, a white butt, an antler, they can stand still a long time looking for you so make sure you pay them that respect in return.

Set reasonable goals and be ready to adjust each day. If you find yourself struggling to go six miles and 2000' in elevation cut it back. It is important to cover ground to find elk, but it is also important to pace yourself and to enjoy the hunt and not just storm around blowing all the elk out of the area.

Find saddles along ridges and look for evidence of game travel through them.......these could be gold for ambushing. They can also be used to piece together the puzzle of where and when the elk are traveling to and from bedding, to water, to feed, and back.

Remember, alot of hunters hike right past some honey holes that are not 6 miles back....maybe only 600 yards back.

Have fun and shoot the first legal elk you see......take home the meat not regrets.

Good Luck!!!