First-time DIY Wyoming Antelope/Mule Deer

251JDG

FNG
Been looking into the antelope hunts in wyoming on public land. Glad to see y'all had some success!

JLW66

FNG
Wyoming is a great place to roam. Diverse terrain and lots of animals. I keep telling the wife we are going to retire there, she says send us postcards.....:p

cb4128

FNG
That's awesome! Congrats to both of you. May be getting in touch with you to discuss more details on this hunt, this sounds like exactly something I would be into giving a shot

Beaglegun

Lil-Rokslider
That's awesome! Congrats to both of you. May be getting in touch with you to discuss more details on this hunt, this sounds like exactly something I would be into giving a shot
Decided to take the plunge this year and chase some western game with my little brother. Found some units in Wyoming that we figured we could draw with no points, applied, and both drew antelope and deer. Spent the summer picking spots out with on-x and accumulating gear, and finally got to head out last week!

It was immediately obvious that there were tons of animals all around, but that in order to find them on public, we'd need to get away from the roads. We packed in camp a couple miles into a nasty stretch of blm that we figured nobody else would try to get into, and had about 8 thousand acres to ourselves. We had a lot of experience spot-and-stalk hunting for whitetails, so the actual hunting wasn't too different, it was just amazing to see some of the places mule deer bucks would bed. Truly impossible spots to stalk in on, and we got busted a couple times early.

Antelope doesn't seem to be too difficult with a rifle, and we both filled those tags by day 3, without taking a shot over 200 yards. I actually waved to the herd and they came closer to investigate my shiny white hand in the sunlight. They're super cool animals, a blast to hunt, and delicious sauteed with onions and mushrooms (we packed in a little heavy and it was worth every ounce). We had backstraps, tenderloins, and hams for dinner every night for the rest of the hunt.

We packed out on day 4 and drove to a different part of the unit to try and fill our deer tags. We could drive to the new spot, so we camped by the truck and didn't have to deal with the grueling packs in/out. Spotted a bunch of deer on day 5 and made plans to tag out on day 6, but they didn't show up in the morning. Spotted some bucks in a sage flat around 2 pm and started a long, slow stalk that ended with the first deer of the trip.

The second deer was a little easier, as he was down in a steep draw feeding and not paying much attention. We butchered them up that night and put them in the cooler, and headed back to Texas the next morning.

We had such a fun hunt, and even though none of the animals were giants, they're still trophies to us. I will definitely be hunting more public land out west, and if anyone has recommendations for a good combination hunt (deer and another animal) I'm all ears!

I'll figure out how to post the pictures from my phone in a bit.
This is exactly what I wanna do in oct. I have been researching for 2 weeks to see what areas we can draw with zero points that also has antelope opportunities there or reasonably close by. It gets way more complex making sure the area is accessible and you can camp. Then I have to figure out if I can use a utv. It ain't easy!!!

Mosster47

Lil-Rokslider
This is exactly what I wanna do in oct. I have been researching for 2 weeks to see what areas we can draw with zero points that also has antelope opportunities there or reasonably close by. It gets way more complex making sure the area is accessible and you can camp. Then I have to figure out if I can use a utv. It ain't easy!!!
I'm planning the exact same. I've done about all the off-site homework I can. I'm going to get there three or four days early to really get some good scouting in.

Hootybob

FNG
Thanks for sharing. I'm hoping to hunt Wyoming in the next few years. Hope I have as much luck as you two did!

Gen273

WKR
Awesome, thanks for sharing your hunt with us! I long to get back out west for a hunt.

Jc2020

FNG
Decided to take the plunge this year and chase some western game with my little brother. Found some units in Wyoming that we figured we could draw with no points, applied, and both drew antelope and deer. Spent the summer picking spots out with on-x and accumulating gear, and finally got to head out last week!

It was immediately obvious that there were tons of animals all around, but that in order to find them on public, we'd need to get away from the roads. We packed in camp a couple miles into a nasty stretch of blm that we figured nobody else would try to get into, and had about 8 thousand acres to ourselves. We had a lot of experience spot-and-stalk hunting for whitetails, so the actual hunting wasn't too different, it was just amazing to see some of the places mule deer bucks would bed. Truly impossible spots to stalk in on, and we got busted a couple times early.

Antelope doesn't seem to be too difficult with a rifle, and we both filled those tags by day 3, without taking a shot over 200 yards. I actually waved to the herd and they came closer to investigate my shiny white hand in the sunlight. They're super cool animals, a blast to hunt, and delicious sauteed with onions and mushrooms (we packed in a little heavy and it was worth every ounce). We had backstraps, tenderloins, and hams for dinner every night for the rest of the hunt.

We packed out on day 4 and drove to a different part of the unit to try and fill our deer tags. We could drive to the new spot, so we camped by the truck and didn't have to deal with the grueling packs in/out. Spotted a bunch of deer on day 5 and made plans to tag out on day 6, but they didn't show up in the morning. Spotted some bucks in a sage flat around 2 pm and started a long, slow stalk that ended with the first deer of the trip.

The second deer was a little easier, as he was down in a steep draw feeding and not paying much attention. We butchered them up that night and put them in the cooler, and headed back to Texas the next morning.

We had such a fun hunt, and even though none of the animals were giants, they're still trophies to us. I will definitely be hunting more public land out west, and if anyone has recommendations for a good combination hunt (deer and another animal) I'm all ears!

That’s awesome I did my first diy antelope last year and had a blast can’t wait to go again

Matt79

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats! We have done a few lope trips in Wyoming and a mule deer hunt in Colorado, but In 2024 we are thinking about the same Wyoming combo you did and hope to be as successful! Again, well done!

RWS

FNG

Nice looks like fun

68w

FNG
Nice Work! I need to stop just buying points and actually put in 😂 every year seems to have something in the way so I just keep accumulating points.