First time duck hunting

Goolahg

Lil-Rokslider
I want to reload all my own duck loads but like everyone else, I can't find primers. The main reason is I cant find any shot shells for duck around me, everything is sold out.

Where should I be looking for primers to come into stock. I don't even need some crazy box of 1000. My goal is to bring in like 6 to 8 ducks total for the season. We won't go through any more than that.

Any benevolent veteran reloaders want to send me the necessary amount of primers for a price? DM me if so otherwise, where should I constantly be looking online, midway?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Terrapin

WKR
I want to reload all my own duck loads but like everyone else, I can't find primers. The main reason is I cant find any shot shells for duck around me, everything is sold out.

Where should I be looking for primers to come into stock. I don't even need some crazy box of 1000. My goal is to bring in like 6 to 8 ducks total for the season. We won't go through any more than that.

Any benevolent veteran reloaders want to send me the necessary amount of primers for a price? DM me if so otherwise, where should I constantly be looking online, midway?

Thanks!

If you’re in Idaho, I’ll give you a hundred. I’d ship you some, but I’ve already hit my felony quota for the week. Speaking of which.... seems a bit late in the year to be shooting ducks :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G

Goolahg

Lil-Rokslider
Getting ready! There is NOTHING in stock because gun stores keep selling waterfowl and turkey rounds to crazies who are panic buying it for self defense. If I don't start now come october i'll be SOL.

Also shame on those stores that claim to support outdoorsmen and conduct themselves in that manner.

I'm not a bad shot but I've never hunted duck before. I'm going to guess 3 to 4 rounds per duck will be needed plus patterning. So 100 shotgun rounds to see how my sbe3 shoots at different distances with different chokes plus downing the 6 to 8 we want for the freezer. Or am I way off here?

Vandy321

WKR
That's alot of work for just 6 ducks.

Why not just buy a few boxes, waterfowl loads ate about the only think I see on the shelves. I'm sure I've got some Hevi-Shot Heavy Metal 3.5's socked away if you get in a bind, assuming you have a 3.5" SBE

OP
G

Goolahg

Lil-Rokslider
Would love to, we have nothing on the shelves and haven't for a year.

Buy a case when they come in stock at Rogers. Finding components right now is so bad that I’m dusting off the Pedersoli muzzleloading shotgun.

Rich M

WKR
Pretty much, buy a couple boxes or a case of #2 steel and run with that if chasing larger ducks, #4 if teal and wood ducks.

About 30 years ago I took a buddy hunting - he went to buy a couple boxes of shells at a gun shop. Guy told him he'd need 1 box for the whole season. LOL! Guy at gun shop had never been duck hunting. You can do that with pheasants but not ducks or geese.

If you have never done it before you will either get 1 bird per shot or 1 bird per box. Guessing the distance is the hardest part. They also fly faster than most of the other birds and are tough, persistent critters. If you can clearly discern the beak or eye, it might be in range.

Its fun. I think you'll need 4 boxes of shells to start your grand adventure. Buy em and see if that's what you would like to continue doing. Then spend the $ on reloading materials. You can't shoot ducks with lead shot - not since the 1980s.

OP
G

Goolahg

Lil-Rokslider
I was able to secure a case thanks to this thread. They only has cases for sale, not boxes. I just purchased 1. Looking forward to pulling the trigger on a kayak or hybrid next. We'll see. Thanks everyone!

Rich M

WKR
By Hybrid - do you mean sit-on-top? Or do you mean Hybrid Duck boat? I designed the Hybrid 1-man duck boats. LOL!

Vandy321

WKR
I was able to secure a case thanks to this thread. They only has cases for sale, not boxes. I just purchased 1. Looking forward to pulling the trigger on a kayak or hybrid next. We'll see. Thanks everyone!

Good luck on the hunts! Glad you found some shells.

If you get a kayak or other small boat. I'd look into one of the many brands of waterproof blind bags, maybe on craiglist or DHC for a used one. Nothing worse that taking a spill and having your non waterproof bag end up in the water, especially with a box or two of shells on board.

hodgeman

WKR
You're getting ready to have some fun! Good deal on finding the shells. I only buy shotgun shells by the case now, there's just no point in buying a box here and there. Waterfowl can be really slow...or really fast. You might shoot 10 shots or you might shoot 100.

I hunt with a kayak- a Jackson Big Rig and it's the right size for me, my gear, and about 18 dekes and a mojo.