First time elk, go archery or rife?

Dgk30

FNG
Looking to head out to Colorado for my first elk hunt. We are midwest whitetail hunters that are proficient with both bows and rifles. We have zero points anywhere so are looking at Colorado for the ability to do OTC however we will likely try to apply for a unit that is possible to draw with zero points. What season would some of you recomend for a first time. Should we go archery during the rut were I believe we possibly have a better chance of seeing action and have weather in our favor (planning on backpacking and staying in tents as of now). OR do we go for rifle in likely second season where its post rut, tougher huntng and possibility of weather, but have the ability to reach out a bit. I am leaning towards archery, not because its any easier but I would think may offer greater chance of an encounter. Both of us are assuming to come home empty handed, this is more about the experience and learning. Any thoughts on a season to start with?

S-3 ranch

WKR
I know it’s just a video, but IMO it’s a start on rating where to go and choosing private or public land archery, primitive, rifle
archery is a tough crowded hunt, I hunted unit 83 on landowner permits rifle and the part of the ranch OTC bow was like watching a ant bed

Last edited:

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
I've only got three seasons of elk experience and none of those in Colorado, only Idaho and Oregon, but my vote would be archery. Hearing elk communicate and communicating with them (if you put the time in to learn to call competently) is awesome. Also the possibility of better weather. Not saying there isn't hard weather where you're coming from but the high mountains can be unforgiving. If you don't have a background in backpacking or backcountry winter activities it's better to learn when the weather tends to be more forgiving.

Jwknutson17

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would look for a cow tag in a better unit first. More opportunities to be in elk and learn. Harvest a couple cows and then come back for a bull next year or the following. Find a one point unit you can stagger hunts every other year with you and your hunting buddy.

I take my father out hunting each year with his A list cow tag in a really good unit. Always in action. If your not after horns right out of the gate there are plenty of really good cow hunts folks overlook.

OP
D

Dgk30

FNG
Between archery and 2nd rifle? I’d do archery in a hot minute. You will never catch me back in Colorado during 2nd rifle season.
Do you have any thoughts on first rifle vs archery? I see there are some units we could possibly draw first rifle with zero points.

Do you have any thoughts on first rifle vs archery? I see there are some units we could possibly draw first rifle with zero points.
Depends on the unit, but the best elk hunt I have ever had was on a leftover 1st rifle tag. There are certain first rifle tags I would avoid like the plague, like say the Flattops units. They give out so many that it may as well be an OTC hunt. Browse the draw recaps and you will see some 0 point 1st rifle hunts that don't give out a ton of tags. I'm not going to tell you where I hunted, because I want to try and keep the area a leftover/0 point unit as long as possible.

Also, look at the timing of the 1st rifle dates, the earlier the better. Still might get some rutting action.

I to think you cant go wrong with a 1st rifle tag or archery. We have had our best luck with 1st rifle so far. But we also had a blast archery hunting. Nothing compares to a bull screaming at you. Ive hunted out there 4 years now. Id personally pick a unit you can hunt often so you can learn it. Thats been our biggest key to success in my opinion.

Was in a similar situation a couple years ago and ultimately chose archery (though I’m mostly a gun hunter). Main thing for me was not wanting to contend with snow.

First of all what’s your goal? Archery will be the most fun. More action and nicer weather. No doubt it’s a good way to get started and learn. And since on occasion we find ourselves in the right place at the right time you might come across a suicidal bull and kill one.

But numbers don’t lie and for lots of reasons success is higher in gun season. So if your goal is dead elk I’d say rifle. But like you already learned even then when and where is important. Generally I like the first week or the last. On the first week the shit hasn’t hit the fan yet. But even on the opener days 2 and 3 can get like weeks 2 and 3 really fast if you’re in an area with easy access. For consistency I’ll take the last week. By then the elk have adjusted to the pressure and wherever they are there’s probably quite a few and they’ll probably stay put in that spot pretty long.

If you go in bow season and have a close call or two you’ll tell yourself you should have hunted early rifle. If you go rifle hunting and barely see an elk if any you’ll tell yourself you should have hunted the rut. I hate hunting states with choose your weapon and season licensing. Gimme Montana or Wyoming where my tag is good for all of bow and gun. Nothing is more dangerous than a bow hunter with a gun!

I'm in a similar situation and will give an answer I haven't heard yet. I'm thinking of going muzzleloader season, which is during archery in Co. I figure a gun with a bit more range than a bow during the rut may give me a bit of a odds boost.

cnelk

WKR
First timer eh?

Go archery in Colorado and you will find so many new friends you’ll be buying another box of Christmas cards.

Do some research. Go 1st Rifle. After 5 days you will WANT to go home, especially since it’s your first elk hunt.

5 day rifle season will be plenty to see if you want to try it again. Then, if you decide to go again, go archery. Just be prepared to get another box of Christmas cards.

Somebody already said it, and I want to emphasize it. If its your first trip, what is your goal? I was in the same spot a few years ago when me and my brother finally decided to go West. For the money and time invested, we wanted to come home with something. We went on a guided rifle hunt in MT with elk/deer combo tags and bear tags. Granted, we went to an extremely tough area, but we saw very few animals and I was blessed to be the only guy in camp with an opportunity at an elk. My goals were achieved, because I got to experience the wilderness the way I wanted to see it, and I was extremely fortunate to shoot an awesome bull.

My point is, since you're coming from the Midwest, adjust your expectations and goals and be realistic. If you're coming out to hunt CO OTC, expect a lot of crowds in some area regardless of season. The good thing about CO is the tags are relatively inexpensive compared to WY and MT, so the price for you "just to leave the house" will be much less, but there are always trade offs. I think you need to be okay with not coming home with anything, and rather, immersing yourself in the experience and try to learn as much as possible. If you kill something that will be a wonderful bonus.

Best of luck to you!

First timer eh?

Go archery in Colorado and you will find so many new friends you’ll be buying another box of Christmas cards.

Do some research. Go 1st Rifle. After 5 days you will WANT to go home, especially since it’s your first elk hunt.

5 day rifle season will be plenty to see if you want to try it again. Then, if you decide to go again, go archery. Just be prepared to get another box of Christmas cards.

I change my vote. I think this is a better approach, but only assuming you don’t mind investing in two different sets of kit.