First Time Elk Hunter - thoughts

Planning an OTC DIY hunt for 2nd rifle with my dad this coming fall, might be a tad lengthy so sorry ahead of time, but hopefully it makes for less typing on your end and more just small corrections/thoughts/ideas. I've spent quite a bit of time researching and thinking about our plan but this is our first ever western hunt so....... Not looking to be given a world of information, but any tips/corrections would be appreciated!

Some background- We are both from Pennsylvania, have hunted whitetails for a long time in several different areas/states and ways. I now live in phoenix so he is going to fly in and well drive 8-10 hours up to CO.

Location-Were going to hunt one of the OTC GMUs in the southeast. We have some ideas but will aim to have 5-10 spots with some room to bounce to. We are planning some combination of truck camping and spike camp, depending where/if we find elk.

Clothing-We are expecting any condition between say sunny and 60 to a foot of snow and low 20s. Both of us for clothes are going with a good baselayer of UA or similar(or 2), a packable layer of fleece(both pants and jacket), a wind proof/water resistant outer layer(not overly warm but we expect to be moving most of the time), and light packable rain gear. For boots my dad got a set of crispis and is bringing a few different socks. I'm still undecided, I generally prefer to have something more light/athletic but most of what i'm finding in that style does not seem to last(per reviews).

Gear-both of us have probably already gone overboard on gear, but we tried to stay fairly light and be as flexible to conditions as possible. We splurged a little on nicer frame packs, with the goal to only use one pack that compresses down for a daypack but is also able to carry 100ish lbs to carry meat out should we get lucky enough. We are looking now for binoculars, but really I'm not sure what to expect as far as how much time to spend glassing. 10x42 vortex is what I am looking at. Other gear we have a small tent, sleeping bags and will probably bring a very small/light cookware set to spike camp if we happen to find elk and want to move closer than the truck will take us.

General Goal- Our general plan at this point is to still hunt and do some glassing. Try to cover lots of area, find elk sign, then spend time finding them in that particular area. We have previously hunted deer in remote places where we still hunted, covered lots of ground, and always found success going in the steepest spots or thickest swamps. I know WT and elk are very different, but we plan to apply some similar ideas and try to put ourselves in places that suck to get to.

Shooting- we both reload alot and I would like to think we are decent shots, however distance is one thing we are not sure what to expect. In the east its exceedingly rare to get a shot opportunity further than about 75 yards. We both are bringing 300s (rum and win) with loads that shoot flat and well out of each rifle. We obviously want the ability to shoot as far as were comfortable with, but what is typical shot distance to expect? We both have will have rangefinders, but general preference would be not to take shots far enough that they would be required (based on our loads anything past about ~400yds would need at least a check)

Training- Im 23 and workout 6 days a week, but I plan to add some weekly hiking with my pack full of sand as soon as things open up. Dad is not quite so but will be doing the same. General goal is to be in the best shape possible and incorporate a lot of time hiking/running elevation with weight in the packs.

I have about a million and a half questions so I will continue to search and make a post or so along the way. Thank you ahead of time for anyone that takes the time to give some advice, this forum has been great to search thus far.

fmyth

WKR
I was in N Colorado for 2nd rifle last year. We had 2' of snow and temps down into the teens at night. Be prepared with a 4x4 vehicle, tire chains for at least the rear tires, 2 snow shovels and a GPS with an emergency sat com like an Inreach or Spot in case you get in over your head. You'll also want Onx on your phones or something similar as not all private properties are posted.

OP
W
I was in N Colorado for 2nd rifle last year. We had 2' of snow and temps down into the teens at night. Be prepared with a 4x4 vehicle, tire chains for at least the rear tires, 2 snow shovels and a GPS with an emergency sat com like an Inreach or Spot in case you get in over your head. You'll also want Onx on your phones or something similar as not all private properties are posted.

good to know, we both have GPS and will bring compass and map as backup, forgot to mention that. 4 wheel drive for sure, good point on tire chains that is another question I've been wondering about. How critical is a sat phone? Is there generally not much for cellphone reception in those areas?

Wapiti1

WKR
Looks like you are on your way and have done a good amount of research.

Shots wise, I'd prepare for 400 yards max unless you can get in A LOT of shooting farther where you are at. Practice from field positions, like off your pack, off bipod, sitting, etc. You'll get a good feel for how far you can actually shoot confidently.

Boots wise, Danner Pronghorns or Irish Setters will be fine. You'll see a lot of comments that lighter/softer boots than something like Kenetrek are junk. That isn't true. For guys that live in their boots all fall, maybe it is. You need to break them in and run them through a hunt. They'll last a few seasons doing that. By far the most important thing is fit and comfort.

Not sure what your budget is on glass, but I'd look at Maven, Meopta, Sightron, Pentax and Kowa for mid price bins.

Pay attention to fmyth's comments on chains, shovel, etc.

Just my thoughts.

Jeremy

fmyth

WKR
good to know, we both have GPS and will bring compass and map as backup, forgot to mention that. 4 wheel drive for sure, good point on tire chains that is another question I've been wondering about. How critical is a sat phone? Is there generally not much for cellphone reception in those areas?

I use a Garmin Inreach SE+ that can send and receive text messages and has an SOS button. I was driving a new Ram Rebel with Goodyear Duratracs and a rear locker and almost slid off the forest road into the canyon. Had to unload my UTV, drop the trailer, cut down a tree, move the truck, pull the trailer out of the ditch with the UTV, hook up the trailer and reload the UTV. My brother and brother in law were in a stock F150 with street tires, chains on the rear and they drove right up the same hill no problem. Next year I will have tire chains for the truck and UTV.

OP
W
Shots wise, I'd prepare for 400 yards max unless you can get in A LOT of shooting farther where you are at. Practice from field positions, like off your pack, off bipod, sitting, etc. You'll get a good feel for how far you can actually shoot confidently.

Boots wise, Danner Pronghorns or Irish Setters will be fine. You'll see a lot of comments that lighter/softer boots than something like Kenetrek are junk. That isn't true. For guys that live in their boots all fall, maybe it is. You need to break them in and run them through a hunt. They'll last a few seasons doing that. By far the most important thing is fit and comfort.

Not sure what your budget is on glass, but I'd look at Maven, Meopta, Sightron, Pentax and Kowa for mid price bins.

All great points. As far as shooting goes there is a 600m range my dad goes to regularly, and i happen to live in phoenix where there almost isnt a limitation on distance (haha). But that sounds reasonable, I cant imagine either of us would be willing to take a shot past 400-500, just too many variables.

I was actually looking at the irish setters, their vaprtrek and elk hunter. The vaprtrek is the one that has lots of reviews about wearing out in a weeks time. I'm not against the elk hunters, they just seem a tad heavy to be my first choice.

My budget for glass is pretty fluid, and will honestly depend on how much glassing to reasonably expect. Probably try to stay under $1000, but at the same time i would rather spend towards a nice pair and not wind up buying a second pair 2 years from now.

OP
W
I use a Garmin Inreach SE+ that can send and receive text messages and has an SOS button. I was driving a new Ram Rebel with Goodyear Duratracs and a rear locker and almost slid off the forest road into the canyon. Had to unload my UTV, drop the trailer, cut down a tree, move the truck, pull the trailer out of the ditch with the UTV, hook up the trailer and reload the UTV. My brother and brother in law were in a stock F150 with street tires, chains on the rear and they drove right up the same hill no problem. Next year I will have tire chains for the truck and UTV.

Very good to know. I currently have an 03 Ram 2500, but theres a pretty solid chance i will wind up buying a newer halfton by october. Sounds like regardless chains are a must.

406unltd

WKR
Yup train with that pack on. Break in those boots. Get that dope chart laminated and taped to the angled part of your objective and or buttstock if you need it so you can easily see it at crunch time. It is very possible to shoot 300+ yds out here as I’m sure you already know. It can turn nasty without any notice in the west so as long as you are prepared for basically any kind of weather you’ll be ok. For your first time out here I’d stick with truck camping.

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
I would put a lot of consideration into boots. Nothing will ruin a trip faster than blisters. Three of us have had Danner Pronghorns or similar and we have had switched over to quality mountain boots like Schnees Beartooth. In my opinion for my style of elk hunting, buy good mountain boots and not flatland boots (like the Pronghorn). If you will not be in steep mountainous terrain, then you could get by with anything. That is just my opinion.

Do not fall into the trap that many whitetail hunters fall into....elk are not giant whitetails!!! They do not act like whitetails. In Pa, I would wager a guess that if you had a nice food source adjacent to good cover, you could about guarantee a whitetail would show up just before dark, right? That isn't how it works in the elk mountains. There are a lot of great looking places that do not hold elk.

Do NOT use cotton baselayers. I would recommend Smartwool socks or equivalent, synthetic or merino wool baselayers and then start the layering process. Merino doesn't stink for a long time, synthetic will (depending on body chemistry and sweat levels).

Learn how to glass. Lots of articles out there on how to do it or figure out your own method.

Distances in the mountains can be really misleading. Learn how to navigate using topo maps and be able to identify features like saddles and figure out how to get there. Learn about contour lines and what they tell you.

Get OnX on your phone and use it. You will want to bring your GPS as a backup, but odds are you will never turn it on (I haven't in over 5 years). Figure out how long you phone will run on a charge and carry a portable charger.

Our thinking in choosing a place to sleep at night is to sleep where it will help us kill an elk. Weigh the pros and cons.

Take a lot of pictures and keep a journal. Relish the time with your dad! Make sure you keep us up to date on your preparations and ask questions!

njdoxie

WKR
Clothing-We are expecting any condition between say sunny and 60 to a foot of snow and low 20s.

In southern CO last year where I was, 2nd rifle, it got down to low single digits 3 nights and didn't get above 30 during the day, coldest I've seen it in the last 25 years. I stopped bringing insulated coveralls because I never used them in the last 15 years, could've really used them last year. I stopped bringing other super warm stuff, because it didn't get used, it'll be with me this year. Thankfully, I bought a -20 degree sleeping bag several years ago, that saved me and that was with wearing every bit of clothes I have in the bag.

I have excellent cell ph reception (verizon) where I hunt, no need for sat phone, but you won't know if you have cell phone reception until your at camp.

On binos, you need to figure out if the places you'll be hunting are solid dark timber, if they are, almost no need for binos. Also, is this a one-time hunt? If so, spend less, if you spend at all. Even if you think you'll want to do it again many times, people can and do change their mind and some never want to go again.

Last edited:
OP
W
I would put a lot of consideration into boots. Nothing will ruin a trip faster than blisters. Three of us have had Danner Pronghorns or similar and we have had switched over to quality mountain boots like Schnees Beartooth. In my opinion for my style of elk hunting, buy good mountain boots and not flatland boots (like the Pronghorn). If you will not be in steep mountainous terrain, then you could get by with anything. That is just my opinion.

Do not fall into the trap that many whitetail hunters fall into....elk are not giant whitetails!!! They do not act like whitetails. In Pa, I would wager a guess that if you had a nice food source adjacent to good cover, you could about guarantee a whitetail would show up just before dark, right? That isn't how it works in the elk mountains. There are a lot of great looking places that do not hold elk.

Do NOT use cotton baselayers. I would recommend Smartwool socks or equivalent, synthetic or merino wool baselayers and then start the layering process. Merino doesn't stink for a long time, synthetic will (depending on body chemistry and sweat levels).

Learn how to glass. Lots of articles out there on how to do it or figure out your own method.

Distances in the mountains can be really misleading. Learn how to navigate using topo maps and be able to identify features like saddles and figure out how to get there. Learn about contour lines and what they tell you.

Get OnX on your phone and use it. You will want to bring your GPS as a backup, but odds are you will never turn it on (I haven't in over 5 years). Figure out how long you phone will run on a charge and carry a portable charger.

Our thinking in choosing a place to sleep at night is to sleep where it will help us kill an elk. Weigh the pros and cons.

Take a lot of pictures and keep a journal. Relish the time with your dad! Make sure you keep us up to date on your preparations and ask questions!

Wow lots of great stuff thank you!! Definitely trying to give due diligence to my boot choice.

As far as whitetails go, yes probably 75% of the time we hunt them somewhat similar to that. The rest of the time is still hunting, mostly in upstate new york. In short, the idea is to put miles in, follow maps to get to certain spots and sneak at certain spots, its different than most people hunt whitetails, but in the adirondacks where you have miles and miles of forest to hunt, it works fairly well. Im certainly trying not to equate the two, all the reading I've done thus far says MOVE, find fresh scent within a day or so and if you don't see anything fresh, move to a new location and repeat.

I will deffinitely checkout the onX app as well.

Noting down all of your other points, all good stuff.

OP
W
In southern CO last year where I was, 2nd rifle, it got down to low single digits 3 nights and didn't get above 30 during the day, coldest I've seen it in the last 25 years. I stopped bringing insulated coveralls because I never used them in the last 15 years, could've really used them last year. I stopped bringing other super warm stuff, because it didn't get used, it'll be with me this year. Thankfully, I bought a -20 degree sleeping bag several years ago, that saved me.

Thank you! I think that would be one benefit for truck camping is the ability to carry some extra heavy layers along knowing there is a good chance they will just stay in the truck the whole time. We both went with 0* bags with the thought they are a tad lighter, and we can always wear an extra layer to sleep if necessary.

Northpark

WKR
All great points. As far as shooting goes there is a 600m range my dad goes to regularly, and i happen to live in phoenix where there almost isnt a limitation on distance (haha). But that sounds reasonable, I cant imagine either of us would be willing to take a shot past 400-500, just too many variables.

I was actually looking at the irish setters, their vaprtrek and elk hunter. The vaprtrek is the one that has lots of reviews about wearing out in a weeks time. I'm not against the elk hunters, they just seem a tad heavy to be my first choice.

My budget for glass is pretty fluid, and will honestly depend on how much glassing to reasonably expect. Probably try to stay under $1000, but at the same time i would rather spend towards a nice pair and not wind up buying a second pair 2 years from now.

As others have said get good boots. My definition is what feels good and will hold up for a week. I personally use Zamberlan but then again I live in my boots.

As for glass unless your really looking for inches of bone you really don’t need to get crazy. I personally like the viper line from vortex in the 10x range. You can seek elk from a couple miles so unless you’re really concerned about how big a bull is a decent set of 10x binos will get the job done. I don’t find myself glassing for elk like I glass for mule deer.

KyleR1985

WKR
If I could do my first elk hunt over, I'd spend 3 hours less per week leading up to the hunt focusing on gear and techniques, and spend 3 more hours per week with a 30lb pack on my back walking stairs or hills.

I covered every base I could within reason, and was well equipped. But it took twice as long as I would have liked to get to places elk like to hang out. We had opportunities, but could've at least doubled the number of them with better conditioning.

I put 50-60 miles on my lowa's before the trip. I didn't get any blisters, but did have to put leukotape on a couple hotspots. Halfway through my eastern hunting season- the boots were far more comfortable, enjoyable even. If you're going with lightweight synthetic boots they don't require the amount of break in. But if you're wearing leather, start training in them now. It's worth it.

I tend to eat less in high stress or high activity. One thing that killed me towards the end of 6 straight days of hunting was not getting enough calories. I felt my body wearing down over that time. I lost several lbs, and I'm pretty thin. Figure out how to get calories in if you're really getting after it on the trip.

Mostly, don't take for granted how lucky you are to be able to do something like this with your father. Treasure it! Have fun!

elkguide

WKR
First and foremost..... QUICKLY put a mask on your computer.
You do NOT want to get the elk hunting disease! It will quickly overtake your life.
From one fall elk hunt you will automatically begin to dream and plan your next elk hunt!
I can speak from personal experience that the only cure for the elk hunting disease is the next elk hunt.

The 2 most important items of gear for me are a good pair of boots and a good pair of binoculars. With cheap/poor ones, you can very easily ruin your hunt. Try on every pair of boots that you can find and once you settle on a pair, start walking. For your binoculars go to every store, that is open, and look through as many as possible, especially if they will let you go outside near dusk. In full disclosure, I am a Swarovski fanboy! I started guiding with a good ($1000 range) pair but found that while spending many hours a day behind them, I was getting a headache. Saved all of my tips that year and bought a pair of 10X42's and haven't looked back. The other important item, is to become so intimately familiar with your rifle that you are able to take a shot from whatever crazy angle that stinking bull puts you in.

Good luck. Have fun. And don't say that you weren't warned!!!!!

Poser

WKR
If you do intend to spike camp, the. I recommend that you both get out for some weekend backpacking trips this summer. Pick some of the more difficult hikes you can do, lay some miles and elevation down, get your backpacking dialed in, comfortable sleeping in your setup and some general shakedown with all of your gear.

In unfamiliar territory I mark/ plot your camp, anything important (down animal) twice. Mark it walk 100 'and do it again. Then hit the "go to" and make sure it shows you are about 100' away. I learned this Colorado thankfully on familiar ground. 1 ridge never gives proper locations and is miles off for some reason. Everywhere else it reads just fine. Good luck, every hunt is a learning lesson.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk