First time elk hunter

I'm from Indiana headed to CO in Sept. For my first DIY elk hunt a dream hunt of mime and hopefully something i can continue on a yearly basis.. but what gear are necessities and what recommendations do you guys have for this first time elk hunter i am going Archery and will have a recurve for the first part of the hunt anyway..

Huge question and I'm sure others will more experience will respond. I'll stay away from the gear part.. other then to say invest in a very good pa (assuming thats your plan).. and then transfer over to google earth to spend time map scouting those areas. If you can get out early to scout a little that is a real plus because most public areas will get pressured early.. and GET IN SHAPE.. Good luck!

OP
Thowell211
Thanks! Yea that's my plan im not sure what zones yet still need to figure that out. and as far as getting in shape goes I'm good there but going to train for the higher elevations thanks for your advice every little bit will help me I'm all new to western hunting.

Take a look at some of the units that are draw but require zero points for non residents they can have less pressure.

Also regarding being in shape remember midwest flat land running shape can be different. I used to live in Chicago and best thing I found was running up and down stairs of a 36 story building with full pack and boots.

Best piece of advice I've seen out here is spend more time learning about elk and less time about gear. Food, water, shelter, a good laying system and you should be fine. Gear is a rabbit hole but 5K in gear won't find an elk or get you away from other hunters.

OP
Thowell211
I'll take a look at that thank you. Once i get the boots and pack i want i plan to load it and hike. We have 2 state parks with pretty gnarly terrain about 20 mins from me. So I'll do that and I'm not sure we have a building that tall around me lol but I'll definatly be running some stairs. Thanks! I appreciate all your help!

OP
Thowell211
Ksadventures80 your right I've been researching so much the last 10 days my minds in overload haha but I'll keep doing it i do it for whitetail year round elk should be no different i have to study everything about them. And try to get an advantage over them

Be in shape and keep hiking until you find fresh elk sign. Once you find fresh elk sign, walk much slower. Don't call like you see on YouTube and don't count on a steady wind other than the 1st hour of daylight and last half hour of light....and even then don't count on it.

Gear-wise, have well worn boots that fit your feet. That will get you 90% to where you need to be with gear.

There’s Knarly terrain in Indiana?! Isn’t the tallest hill less then 100 feet tall? I’ve seen people that feel like they’re in great shape crash and burn in the mountains. I’d suggest finding a mountain, or at a minimum long sessions on a stair mill. There’s no substitute.

wytx

WKR
Good boots and warm, quiet clothes. Good rain gear, jacket at least and some gaiters.

Work those hip flexors , beetle kill is a real pain on the legs and hips. You'll be going over stuff you'll have to climb over and side step over. get your hip muscles in shape with the quads and hammies.

fatlander

WKR
Boots that fit and are broken in.

When reality hits and you realize those dreams of meadows full of bugling bulls that come charging to any and every call is only going to be a dream, you need a can do won’t quit attitude.

OP
Thowell211
Thanks guys i appreciate all of the advice.. I'll use it all trust me! Sounds like good boots and get my butt in the best shape of my life! As well as good clothing..

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good boots and a weapon your skilled with from there grit, will, determination, enjoy the suck, have fun and refine gear as you learn your quarry and habitat that you like to chase them in👍Good luck....just for fun also some old photos with old gear positive attitude and plain and simple learn your quarry and the area you hunt....these old guys stacked many many elk in crappy gear but could shoot lights out outwork 99% of guys in the woods and had woods skillz...gear makes you comfortable but does not generate success👍Just for fun pack some weight with military packboards and you will appreciate anything on the market today🤩👊yes I like my kuiu over what I grew up in🥰5127853D-F2A4-444B-9DD8-7679FDB3A08E.png9EA305DD-9D52-41EF-B919-A837FF918D2D.jpeg5D02B586-B9A9-47F2-B43B-6F6857D24318.jpeg75305625-6611-4EEF-AE34-A08A71EA078C.jpeg05C2A6C1-F9F7-405D-8218-5E05E47EA0EE.png

Last edited:

rbnhood

FNG
Like said before, good boots that are broken in. Another tip I overlooked was going over all your gear and practicing using it not just your weapon.

ATL-Kyle

FNG
I'm right there with you. I hope to go on my first elk hunt this year as well. Luckily, I was able to experience my first Western hunt last year for a Wyoming speed goat. OnX maps and a sat phone haven't been mentioned yet so I'll throw those out there. Making sure you're still in your unit, still on public land, and able to reach the outside world if needed make everything more relaxing and enjoyable. Good luck!

mherne8

FNG
I think the biggest hurdle for most folks going from east to west to hunt is getting there. What I mean by that is many people including myself say "that's a dream hunt of mine" but never pull the trigger and go. Once you start doing it, it gets easier each year as you gain more experience.

That said having done it a few times my advice to you is the following:

1. If you can drive do it! Driving, while it takes a little time makes life easier and cheaper because you can literally throw everything and the kitchen sink in your truck. I head out from KY every year in my Tundra with a topper and live out of my truck for 18 days.

2. If this is your first trip out west regardless of how much "E scouting" you have done I would plan to camp at or near your truck and not commit to a deep backpack style hunt. A couple of reasons for this, its your first year so you're going to want to learn the area in the unit your hunting and it's far easier to be mobile and adjust plans with a motor vs your feet and a pack. That said, take a pack and pack a few miles into an area for a night or two but be prepared to roll out if you arent seeing any sign or getting any action.

3. Be flexible have a few different areas picked out that you want to check out. This one can be trickey becasue you may choose areas in different parts of the state or different units. I have been tempted to do the same but after sticking to my guns and hunting the same to adjoining units in Colorado, I've been a part of taking three elk in three years. We're three for three where we hunt and it's because we're learning the unit so if an area that was hot last year sucks this year we have multiple other areas that we can get into to check out with out spending hours driving there and hiking in.

Here is an article that I wrote last year, hopefully, it can be of some help to you. If you have any questions after that please ask away and I'll do my best to answer them!

Good luck,

Mike

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
I think the biggest hurdle for most folks going from east to west to hunt is getting there. What I mean by that is many people including myself say "that's a dream hunt of mine" but never pull the trigger and go. Once you start doing it, it gets easier each year as you gain more experience.

That said having done it a few times my advice to you is the following:

1. If you can drive do it! Driving, while it takes a little time makes life easier and cheaper because you can literally throw everything and the kitchen sink in your truck. I head out from KY every year in my Tundra with a topper and live out of my truck for 18 days.

2. If this is your first trip out west regardless of how much "E scouting" you have done I would plan to camp at or near your truck and not commit to a deep backpack style hunt. A couple of reasons for this, its your first year so you're going to want to learn the area in the unit your hunting and it's far easier to be mobile and adjust plans with a motor vs your feet and a pack. That said, take a pack and pack a few miles into an area for a night or two but be prepared to roll out if you arent seeing any sign or getting any action.

3. Be flexible have a few different areas picked out that you want to check out. This one can be trickey becasue you may choose areas in different parts of the state or different units. I have been tempted to do the same but after sticking to my guns and hunting the same to adjoining units in Colorado, I've been a part of taking three elk in three years. We're three for three where we hunt and it's because we're learning the unit so if an area that was hot last year sucks this year we have multiple other areas that we can get into to check out with out spending hours driving there and hiking in.

Here is an article that I wrote last year, hopefully, it can be of some help to you. If you have any questions after that please ask away and I'll do my best to answer them!

Good luck,

Mike
Hi Mike, just read your article. The tips you gave definitely sound like what I had in mind for my next trip out west. Nice to hear of somebody coming from the east and having continued success out there.