First time elk hunter

JHart 71

FNG
Trying to plan a hunting trip to Colorado thinking maybe archery season or possibly 2nd rifle realized rifle season is closer to late post rut or even late season thoughts. Thanks! P.s probably won't be until 2022

OP
J

JHart 71

FNG
Yeah that's why I'm trying to plan every thing now so when me and my guys get out there were ready to hunt.

OP
J

JHart 71

FNG
If looking for success rifle if looking for possible adrenaline rush archery.....good luck on the decision
Really just looking to get me and my guys feet wet in the elk hunting world and possibly have some success and get some meat in the freezer more concerned about weather later in the season though I've been watching some videos on YouTube and it seems like we may need to camp and get back in the mountains aways.

Marble

WKR
I only regret the hunts I didn't do.
Exactly....

More valuable than any gear you can buy is the knowledge you get from experience. Even if the op can't go hunt, going for a long weekend and practicing what he plans to do will be invaluable.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
To the OP, you are on the right track. Just the fact that you didn't ask for locations at all in your question will lead to many fellow hunters being willing to lend your their thoughts.

Decide what type of hunt you want first. The more variables you get rid of, the better the advice will be. It's ok not to know yet, just keep reading and watching as you have been. It will become clear what type of experience you want.

OP
J

JHart 71

FNG
To the OP, you are on the right track. Just the fact that you didn't ask for locations at all in your question will lead to many fellow hunters being willing to lend your their thoughts.

Decide what type of hunt you want first. The more variables you get rid of, the better the advice will be. It's ok not to know yet, just keep reading and watching as you have been. It will become clear what type of experience you want.
Thank you I appreciate your time and input.

You've got plenty of time for homework. You may want to consider a few other states as well. Plenty of time to start diving into all the states GMU's, draws, draw odds, success rates etc etc. The homework is part of the fun ;) it could very easily become an obsession ;)

OP
J

JHart 71

FNG
You've got plenty of time for homework. You may want to consider a few other states as well. Plenty of time to start diving into all the states GMU's, draws, draw odds, success rates etc etc. The homework is part of the fun ;) it could very easily become an obsession ;)
Yeah I'm starting to become more and more obsessed everything I think about buying is about hunting out there and here at home I've also started looking at other states a bit confusing like Idaho and Utah.