First time elk hunting in Colorado, any help will be highly appreciated.

glee2

FNG
Hello everyone, I am new to backpack style hunting, and this year around early September I will be doing an OTC archery hunt in GMU 521 near Gunnison, Colorado. Any information on the area that you can give will be highly appreciated. I am practically going into this hunt blind as the only scouting I can do is over my computer. I am a student at Texas A&M and cannot afford to miss multiple days of school in order to scout the area. If you have suggestions on other units around this area, I would love to hear about those as well. Like I said before, any information will be very helpful to me.

You can either leave a comment on my post, or shoot me a call or text at 281-660-2581

Last edited:

MOcluck

Lil-Rokslider
Keep moving until you either see them or smell them! Try and keep the wind in your face. It will take a little bit to figure out the thermals.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I am practically going into this hunt blind as the only scouting I can do is over my computer.

The last few years I've gone in blind to units I've never even hardly stepped foot in, and it's been a blast doing that. Must be the added challenge of going in blind, but I like exploring new areas and this way I can explore and hunt at the same time.

The last few years I've gone in blind to units I've never even hardly stepped foot in, and it's been a blast doing that. Must be the added challenge of going in blind, but I like exploring new areas and this way I can explore and hunt at the same time.
There is a lot to be said for learning a unit really well, but I also prefer the newness and the challenge of hunting a new unit(s) each year.

Last season, I thought I was going to take my buddy in the the same area I hunted the previous year, but the early snowstorm changed all that, so we ended up hunting a good 60 miles away, much lower in elevation. We had a blast! It's always exciting to see new country and let your mind imagine the possibilities.

OP, just go and have fun and learn. If you're not working out already, get yourself down to Kyle Field (or BHS stadium) and start running up and down those bleachers as often as you can. Gradually add a pack and then weight to that pack. The only regret you'll have when you're on the mountain is that you wished you were in better shape. LOL The better shape you're in, the more country you can cover, and the more elk you will find.

I agree with hunting new units and going in blind. It keeps you preparing. It will also let you know how you measure up as a Hunter. If you've done your homework, you will be into elk on day 1 and have opportunities to kill.

njdoxie

WKR
if you’re not working out already, get yourself down to Kyle Field (or BHS stadium) and start running up and down those bleachers as often as you can.

Can you access Kyle field? I would think it would be pretty tight security or longhorn fans would be doing donuts in it, Auburn fans might sneak in to plow it up, not to mention liability if you were to trip.
And I’m in the camp that prefers knowing a unit better and better every year, not striking out for new country every year, I take comfort in knowing the lay of the land and the better I know the unit the better my odds of success, which is any legal bull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MOcluck

Lil-Rokslider
Before the rut. I just make a few cow calls to cover up any "noise" I might make. I mainly focus on covering ground to figure out where they are, then try to figure out a pattern of what their doing.

brisket

Lil-Rokslider
Can you access Kyle field? I would think it would be pretty tight security or longhorn fans would be doing donuts in it, Auburn fans might sneak in to plow it up, not to mention liability if you were to trip.
And I’m in the camp that prefers knowing a unit better and better every year, not striking out for new country every year, I take comfort in knowing the lay of the land and the better I know the unit the better my odds of success, which is any legal bull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don’t try to go into Kyle Field. Some buddies and I had a run in with campus security when we wandered in an open gate to play some 6 man.

You could (when I was there) access Bryan high’s field to use the bleachers. There’s also tons of parking garages with plenty of stairs if you don’t want the hassle of going to Bryan

hwy1strat

WKR
In my experience, just because you found elk scouting in the summer doesn't always mean they will still be there that fall. If I were you, I'd plan to be mobile. Have other areas you want to check out so, if you get in somewhere and you don't see anything for a few days, you can go somewhere else.

Hello everyone, I am new to backpack style hunting, and this year around early September I will be doing an OTC archery hunt in GMU 521 near Gunnison, Colorado. Any information on the area that you can give will be highly appreciated. I am practically going into this hunt blind as the only scouting I can do is over my computer. I am a student at Texas A&M and cannot afford to miss multiple days of school in order to scout the area. If you have suggestions on other units around this area, I would love to hear about those as well. Like I said before, any information will be very helpful to me.

You can either leave a comment on my post, or shoot me a call or text at 281-660-2581

Do you know what part of 521 you are going to hunt yet? Like do you plan on going in to the rough country in the Raggeds or are you looking at less demanding terrain?

GoChiefs

FNG
I’ve hunted 521 and know it pretty well. It’s a big unit, what areas are you looking at?

As stated, get is shape, but even so the altitude will kick your butt the first few days. Have you ever been at high altitude? Any issues? I have had problems since my Aggie days. Doesn't matter how good of shape you are in. Be aware of any symptoms. I don't have bad issues, but very bothersome. Headaches, insomnia, heart just pounds in my chest when I lay down, and shortness of breath. I used to take a drug called Diamox, but then I tried a herbal supplement called Altitude Adjustment: http://altitude-adjustment.com/ . Works great for me and my wife and we don't have to carry the drug any more. You may not need it though.

As stated, watch out for thermals. That is harder than it sounds because they shift in the morning AND in the evening. I like to be the altitude I am going to hunt when the sun comes up and hunt SIDEHILL. At first shooting light until the sun comes up, the thermal carries your scent down, but as the sun rises, it shifts to up. Then in the evening, the thermals are going up until the sun goes down and then they shift down. So for the first 30-45 min in the morning, and last 30-45 in the evening, it changes.

As far as calling, I would stick to cow calls the first year. Even though I have been doing this for many years, I have scared more bulls away with a bugle than I have called in. Called many in with cow calls though. And once you call, you should give it at least 15-20 min before moving. Many bulls will come in silent

Osturgill

FNG
Following the thread also going out to Colorado for first time otc in San Juan area but enjoy reading everyone’s tips in general thanks