First time elk hunting in Colorado, any help will be highly appreciated.

RockinU

Lil-Rokslider
Howdy! Class of '96. I have no 521 experience, but I've hunted 55 some north of Gunnison. If you think you may end up up there, I can loan you some of my paper maps, and give you a few waypoints, and steer you towards some ways to get ahead of them. I still live in Bryan, so it wouldn't be a big deal to show you what I have.

I’m heading that way early season as well, but like @glee2 will be the first time... blind other than lots of e-scouting and maybe a late summer scout session. Good luck out there, glee2

Have a backup plan in case you get in there and don’t find what you like. Lots of other OTC units in easy driving distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
glee2

glee2

FNG
I’ve hunted 521 and know it pretty well. It’s a big unit, what areas are you looking at?
Hey man, just getting back on rokslide preparing for the elk season ahead, just saw your reply from a year ago lol. I hunter just 20 minutes north of Paonia, Colorado and will be hunting it again this year. Are you at all familiar with the area?

OP
glee2

glee2

FNG
I’m heading that way early season as well, but like @glee2 will be the first time... blind other than lots of e-scouting and maybe a late summer scout session. Good luck out there, glee2

Have a backup plan in case you get in there and don’t find what you like. Lots of other OTC units in easy driving distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey man, just getting back on here since last season....you have any luck out there?

OP
glee2

glee2

FNG
Eat at the Gunnisack. Good food if you need to get out of the woods for an evening.
They had just closed when we got to it on our way out, we ate at a place called twisted fork I believe. It was delicious....definitely a different crowd though, I don't think they had spent time on a mountain lol

sethmb

FNG
Hello everyone, I am new to backpack style hunting, and this year around early September I will be doing an OTC archery hunt in GMU 521 near Gunnison, Colorado. Any information on the area that you can give will be highly appreciated. I am practically going into this hunt blind as the only scouting I can do is over my computer. I am a student at Texas A&M and cannot afford to miss multiple days of school in order to scout the area. If you have suggestions on other units around this area, I would love to hear about those as well. Like I said before, any information will be very helpful to me.

You can either leave a comment on my post, or shoot me a call or text at 281-660-2581
Have any luck last year? I’m heading there this week.

sethmb

FNG
I’ve hunted 521 and know it pretty well. It’s a big unit, what areas are you looking at?
I’m a Missouri guy could a fellow chiefs fan help me out? Heading to 521 and 421 in less than a week for archery. Phone number is 636-359-9889. Any help would be greatly appreciated for a this newbie elk hunter.

OP
glee2

glee2

FNG
I’m a Missouri guy could a fellow chiefs fan help me out? Heading to 521 and 421 in less than a week for archery. Phone number is 636-359-9889. Any help would be greatly appreciated for a this newbie elk hunter.
you able to get anything this year I did not have luck

Helge23

FNG
Hey GoChiefs, I noticed your comment above while researching CO 521. Would really be grateful to ask you a few questions, even chat on the phone about the unit. I've never hunted there but wanted to go hit an area that my brother used to hunt years ago. My brother has passed and never did hunt with him in that unit so kinda going back this fall as a tribute to him. If you could reach out I'd be super appreciated!

Brent Helgeson
WI

Sdieffen

FNG
Hunt the highest north facing timber that has water within a mile. Use only a cow call and walk up on them. Be above them as the thermals rise or your toast. Good luck!