First Time Elk Hunting / Solo?

Hi Y’all, So I’m at a bit of a dilemma here…I have never hunted public lands before (didn’t know the difference between a national forest and a national park till like a month or so ago) or done a western style hunt. All my experience is in small ranch hunting in Texas. I was planning to go hunting with another guy who has never hunted at all before but he backed out last week, I’ve gathered he’s just not interested in it. I do live in Northern Colorado now, so I went out scouting anyway last weekend…More like I drove all over the Walden area trying to figure out the road system (still confused on what is a road and what is an OHV Trail, I have a stock truck so I’m not looking to get stuck). So here are my questions,
1. How many of y’all started this type of hunting solo? I yearn to learn tell me your story?!

2. Where did you meet your hunting mentor or partner/ Is there a mentorship for adults, Lol? I have tons of questions.

3. If I don’t want to miss out on another season of big game hunting, where would you begin? (I’ve narrowed it down to so one of the 4 units surrounding Walden)

4. Is there anyone or a group that wouldn’t mind having another hunter added, I’m in good shape and I know how to walk in the woods? (I do 14ers and CrossFit)

Riles1050

Lil-Rokslider
Don't do a bivy hunt until you have some experience and have done many day hunts. Starting out solo is doable but the learning curve will be much larger. Take as much information as you can from podcasts from public land guys like Randy Newberg, Rich Outdoors, and the new Podcast Elktalk with Randy and Cory Jacobsen. There is no substitution for days in the woods. I would recommend make stocks whenever it is possible even on Cows and Immature bulls. I think practicing on Antelope is a huge benefit as you can get lots of stocks and make lots of mistakes. Biggest advice for a beginner would be learn and play the wind. Don't underestimate how important it is. Get good gear but if a budget is tight focus on spending days out hunting a learning animal behavior and tendencies. So much in my opinion is experience. I'll say it once more days in the woods is what will speed up the process. Oh and enjoy yourself. ha.

I've been in CO for 4 years and this will be my third season hunting public OTC archery elk solo. I usually do day or long weekend hunts. I'm yet to punch a tag but I have had some memorable encounters. I'm a bit south of you but if you're still looking for somebody to hunt with PM me.

nrh6.7

WKR
I'm doing basically the same thing as you. I did do one OTC hunt in '97 but haven't been back since. All the guys I went with originally don't want to go now so I am going solo. To heck with them, and with all the resources we have available now the learning curve should be considerably shorter. I'm geared up and almost ready to go. Good luck to you!

CX5Ranch

WKR
I was sitting at a church dinner about 10 years ago and overheard some older fellas talking about elk hunting. I just got up and sat down there and started talking hunting. They were hesitant to invite me so I just kept talking about it every Sunday. Finally he asked if I wanted to go. The rest is history.

Guys are hesitant to send the invite for many reasons. If you hunt the mountains with guys you will soon find out why.

Go get it!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Redman

FNG
My mentors were Larry D. Jones, M.R.James, and Dwight Schuh. Read everything I could from these guys, called and ordered my first elk calls from Larry, he even answered the phone and took my order. That was a few years back. I picked a spot and drove straight through from IN to CO. I would like to say I killed my first elk on my first trip.. I did however get very close and learned a lot. If you don't have someone to personally take you out, don't be afraid to go it alone. There is a ton of info on here. Check out Elknut he is a wealth of knowledge, Cory Jacobson Elk101.

FlyGuy

WKR
You should go. Absolutely. You live there now so you can go often and build confidence. I wish I'd have done it many, many years earlier. Don't worry about backpacking in and spiking out your 1st year, or 1st 10 years. Truck camp, or stay at that old hotel in Walden even, and make some day hunts. I would recommend an InReach if you are going to be Solo. Then go and enjoy it. Gain experience. Make tons of mistakes that you will learn from, and that years from now will make great stories to share around a campfire.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

DavePwns

WKR
You should go. Absolutely. You live there now so you can go often and build confidence. I wish I'd have done it many, many years earlier. Don't worry about backpacking in and spiking out your 1st year, or 1st 10 years. Truck camp, or stay at that old hotel in Walden even, and make some day hunts. I would recommend an InReach if you are going to be Solo. Then go and enjoy it. Gain experience. Make tons of mistakes that you will learn from, and that years from now will make great stories to share around a campfire.

Why not backpack hunt when starting out?Just curious.

Maverick940

Banned

There's no reason why you can't. In fact, if you have prior backpacking experience, I would highly recommend it, instead of you doing a truck-camp hunt. A lot of my first hunts for various big game species were backpack hunts. I didn't have a mentor. I just grabbed the bull by the horns and went for it. The majority of those "first time ever" excursions were backpack hunts. If you're a backpacker already, you might want to consider going that route.

There's no reason why you can't. In fact, if you have prior backpacking experience, I would highly recommend it, instead of you doing a truck-camp hunt. A lot of my first hunts for various big game species were backpack hunts. I didn't have a mentor. I just grabbed the bull by the horns and went for it. The majority of those "first time ever" excursions were backpack hunts. If you're a backpacker already, you might want to consider going that route.

I figured out real fast on my first elk hunt from my truck that I should have been backpack hunting. I've probably not walked as much in all the years I've hunted since as I walked that first year from base camp. Apart from the packout, backpack hunting often means fewer miles and easier miles. Go for it.

I think a first time hunter is going to have trouble finding elk. A backpack hunt eats three days, minimum, out of your trip. So if he guesses wrong on where to start, that is costly. With a truck camp, you can be hunting one spot in the morning and back out to the pickup and 15 miles away by evening. Very advantageous for a newbie.

FlyGuy

WKR
Sounds like the OP has a lot to get comfortable with in just a few short weeks. Adding a spike camp to the mix, solo, adds a ton of complication that isn't necessary. Sure, if he has a lot of solo backpacking experience under his belt already, then your just basically adding a weapon to the mix. Nothing to it. If he has that I must have missed it, sorry. But, if he's never hunted elk, and never back packed solo, then why put the extra pressure on yourself. I'd rather that he had a good time and kept at it, that's all. I see so many 1st time guys posting on here that absolutely believe they have to pack in for 6 miles on their very 1st trip.

I started out solo because I was the first of my huntin buddies to draw an elk tag, and they only want to hunt close to home. Me? I’ll go anywhere to hunt elk! I’ve hunted with a select few a time or 2, but prefer solo. It’s a blast! I do what I want, when I want. Roll out of the tent when I want, nap on the mountain when I want. Go naked if I want etc etc etc ;) I truck camped the first few years hunting overlooked areas not too far off the road, and got my first taste of success my 2nd year. A fat 5 year old cow. It was important for me to get into elk and kill whatever opportunity presented. And I killed 4 cows before I finally killed a bull. My theory, if I can keep getting into elk, I’ll kill a bull at some point. Because I was always getting into them. The whole time learning 1 encounter at a time. And relatively short packouts. 6 years into it, I did my first solo backcountry hunt, and was instantly hooked! Only reason it took so long, is gear! Very important. And I knew that. Don’t want to be in the backcountry and not have your TP ;)

I met the 2 most important mentors on A/T. Elknut1 & GS Elkhunter. These guys know elk. When you learn elk, it gets a whole lot easier. I feel extremely lucky to have met these guys! Paul on the phone, and Gregg in person, hunted with him on a couple occasions. Watching Gregg call, was priceless! He does it so effortlessly, can make any sound an elk can make, and 1 of the most knowledgeable elk killers I’ve ever met. Extremely lucky!

And after talking to Paul, getting the PlayBook, DVD’s, and reading his posts over the years, is just as priceless! Since talking to Paul, I’ve had opportunities every year!

Where to begin? Anywhere you can find them ;) you’ll know :)

Last edited:

rayporter

WKR
i say go no matter what or how. that first step will then be behind you.

CX5Ranch

Guys are hesitant to send the invite for many reasons. If you hunt the mountains with guys you will soon find out why.

boy it this true.

I started by myself. Killed on the 5th day of the hunt at sunset. Got back to the car at sunrise then went back in for the last load. It's fun as hell. Study maps. Don't over think it.

OP
T
Thank y’all, for your responses it seems I have lot to learn and mainly gear up for! More questions are sure to follow.

OP
T
I can see that…Just kind of took me back a little bit on how protective people are. I took quite a few people hunting back when my grandad had land hell even dragged friends there who didn't hunt, lol.