First time for Everything

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
Tomorrow afternoon at some point, weather permitting, starts my first Dall Sheep hunt. It will also be my first solo hunt that goes over night. I spent 10 years waiting for someone to go moose hunting with me, I wasn’t about to do the same for sheep. Two years of prep and for me a successful hunt will be going the planned 7 days barring any technical mishaps and seeing a ram, legal or not. Understandably the wife is none to happy about it so as long as the inReach and my phone stay charged I’ll keep her happy and consequently get to stay in the field for what I have planned out. My pack with 7 days of food and probably a whole bunch of crap I wont use is weighing in at 75lbs, I was afraid it would be north of 90lbs with all the crap I thought I needed. I’m looking forward to my 7 days in the Talkeetnas and sheep or no sheep its going to suck and be wet, rainy and miserable but I’ll be loving every minute of it. Happy hunting and good luck to everyone else heading out for their own sheep.

Attachments

• 304C6AA0-E263-47C5-B55A-EA38B9D30CEB.jpeg
    304C6AA0-E263-47C5-B55A-EA38B9D30CEB.jpeg
    250.4 KB · Views: 178
  • 02366322-17DD-4914-A618-6CE53C39DC47.jpeg
    02366322-17DD-4914-A618-6CE53C39DC47.jpeg
    239.4 KB · Views: 182

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck and be safe and remember to take note pad and pencil so you can write down all the crap you didn’t use so you can post it. That way I can take it out of my list.seriously be safe get back in one piece

VernAK

WKR
You're correct in your assumption that your pack is heavy but this will be your shake-down cruise and you may be exceptionally fit....so go for it!

Should you decide to continue sheep hunting in future years, you will be exchanging some gear........I can see a half dozen items in the pic.

Good luck and enjoy the mountains.

Ac338

WKR
Good luck. Is that weight without water? I'd definitely be looking to drop quite a bit of weight but thats just me.

Is that a handgun AND bear spray plus the rifle? Can think of one or maybe two of those to get rid of and shave a little weight. But sounds like a fun trip. Hope you are successful and have a blast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

75 lbs!! OUCH! Man, I hope that includes your rifle....and a 6 pack of beer. :) Good luck and I hope you have a safe, enjoyable and productive hunt.

Good luck man! I hope you have a blast, can’t wait to do it again once it’s over and give us all the details.

Shrek

WKR
Good hunting ! Once you have done a solo hunting trip or two the reluctance will go away and it may become your preferred way to hunt. I’m no weight weeny and 75lbs is heavy to me !

OP
Krieg Hetzen

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
Lesson one of sheep hunting: SCOUT

I thought I was all set for some secluded time in the mountains. Saw a couple backpacker/day trip groups and it was all fine and dandy. And then the dirt bike showed up. I wasn’t aware they could get up there. And they definitely rode it all over the damn place up there. So next year I’ll be more diligent in my scouting.

As for excess crap I didnt need: Pocho Liner, Woobie Hoodie, Cigars, bug spray and my pistol. Most of the other stuff I use or can justify having (coffee and the BRCC travel french Press!). Definitely need to exchange some items for lighter versions. My tent and tripod are both on the top of that list.

My rain gear did phenomenal while up there. Coming off the mountain after the dirt bike it started raining. Then it hailed. Then it went back to rain. But it was the torrential downpour with thunder loud enough to make your ears ring kind of rain. The M5 face fabric wetted out almost immediately but I didn’t get any wetter and Im fairly certain my mid layer dried out a bit.

All in all it was a partial success. Didn’t see sheep but I went and did it. Next year will be the same with a better informed gear list (mostly leaving shit at home thats not needed) and some good scouting. Time for moose season prep now.

VernAK

WKR
Good report of a good shake down cruise.

Streamlining the gear is a never ending process but beware of shedding those very few last expensive ounces as they can be very expensive. There is a lot of good clothes suitable for hunting that are much cheaper than the expensive brands.

dakotaduner

Lil-Rokslider
Good for you Krieg.. Sound like you learned a lot, proved to yourself you could do it. Next time will be even better.
Thanks for sharing.