First time for Total Archery Challenge

A buddy and I are heading out to Big Sky for the Total Archery Challenge this July. I have never done anything quite like this, so I am looking for input as to what I should have to be prepared. We are shooting the Sitka and locals courses for sure. I appreciate the advice!

renagde

WKR
Be prepared for hard angle shots both up and down, and varying distances from ~15-125 yards. Obviously if you're uncomfortable with that you can walk up on the target to shorten the distance but what's the fun in that? Pack a good set of footwear, last year we put on over 8 miles over the course of one day. Be sure to take a good pair of binoculars and a rangefinder. If you're training for backcountry hunting, it's not a bad idea to have your pack with just to get the feel for shooting with a backpack on.

KHNC

WKR
shot the TN event last year. 9 miles just on Mtn OPs course. yes, you will likely bust alot of arrows, or lose them. PLenty of shots with tiny holes to shoot thru. Including, rocks and limbs, steep up and down angles and extreme distance. In MT , it will be a steep course no doubt.

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
My wife and I have shot the Big Sky course each of the years they have put it on here. Decided to give this year a break. The Sitka course will have several 100+ yard shots so, be prepared and practice. Thermals will get you depending on the time of day and if you're paying attention. Last year, there was a section on the Sitka course of about 7 or 8 targets that took you down a scree slope that was fairly knarley. One wrong step and it was going to hurt. Not to mention possible damage to your bow. Plan to take your time and hike carefully. Take a collapsible hiking pole if you think you might need it.

The Locals course typically has nothing beyond about 55 yards but, the hiking is super steep, if they follow the same pattern as in previous shoots. My right ankle is crap so I have to pay close attention to foot placement when going down ski slopes like that. Grass, even dried, can be slippery and give you a ride.

Take along plenty of water. Each course will take about 2 to 4 hours - depending. Fastest I've seen anyone finish the shortest course was in 1-1/2 hours. I suggest a pack with a hydration bladder in it. They got away from plastic water bottles in coolers last year and went to sort of a fountain drink setup to refill whatever you were carrying water in. The temps might be nice and cool at 9000ft but the sun will suck the water right out of your body. If you cross one of the creeks, stop and soak your hat or shirt. You will appreciate it and it will likely be bone dry in under :20 minutes. But feels good for a while. Well broken-in boots w/good insoles and good socks. You're going to need them.

Back down where the lifts start, be sure to hit the Yeti-dogs joint for lunch. You will thank me later. Best dogs I've ever had - anywhere. Save some energy for the night-time events Saturday night. Usually a hunting-themed video/movie on an outdoor big screen and then the after-dark archery events. Loads of fun if you've never been to one of those before. Lots of vendor booths to wander through as well. You will usually see Randy Newberg, along with several other hunting names wandering through. You should have a blast!

Last edited:

137buck

Lil-Rokslider
My son and I have shot this the last couple of years, it's a fun shoot, but can be hot and that sun just seems to bake you. Prepare for some long shots, uphill and downhill, and trust your sight bubble. Wear comfortable shoes or boots and lighter weight clothes, plus pack extra water. We're shooting Mtn ops on Friday, Sitka on Saturday and Prime on Sunday, all three are early times too, to try to beat the heat. IMG_3456.jpgIMG_4613.jpgIMG_3456.jpgIMG_4613.jpgIMG_3463.jpgIMG_3469.jpgIMG_3478.jpg

curt514

FNG
I shot the Utah course at Snowbird last year. Everyone I talked to said the Snowbird was the most abusive terrain wise. We shot the locals in the morning and the Prime in the afternoon. The locals was 15 to 45 yards but the Prime was 40yd at a crow to 110 yards at moose. Everything from a 45* up angle to an 85* down angle. My knees were trashed on the way down but it was a blast.

This year I have signed up for Terry Peak SD, Salt Lake UT, and Big Sky MT. All the others are too far away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I shot the Utah course at Snowbird last year. Everyone I talked to said the Snowbird was the most abusive terrain wise. We shot the locals in the morning and the Prime in the afternoon. The locals was 15 to 45 yards but the Prime was 40yd at a crow to 110 yards at moose. Everything from a 45* up angle to an 85* down angle. My knees were trashed on the way down but it was a blast.

This year I have signed up for Terry Peak SD, Salt Lake UT, and Big Sky MT. All the others are too far away.

When did they open up SLC? I looked a couple days ago and registration wasn't even open

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

curt514

FNG
When did they open up SLC? I looked a couple days ago and registration wasn't even open

It is not open yet and it won’t be till early to mid February. I talked to the TAC people and the company I work for is a sponsor. I know when it will be so I have already scheduled my day.

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
I shot the Terry Peak event in SD last year, heading back this year, cannot wait I freakin love the Black Hills!

Ryhole

FNG
I'll be in Big Sky also. First year at TAC. Can't wait!! yes, I've been told by several friends that have went the last few years....bring plenty of arrows haha

Codyk315

FNG
Big Sky event is AMAZING! Great shots with even better views. Good boots are a must. It will be pretty steep in places and lots of hiking. I would recommend bringing 2 Nalgene bottles instead of a bladder just for ease of filling them up. Another big recommendation, is to take your bow to your trusted bow shop and have them check all 3 axis on your sight to make sure that it is level/plumb on all axis. Also, if you even doubted your range finder, get a new one. Then trust the system, bubble and rangefinder! I have a Sig 2200 and there were a few times that I questioned it during the shoot based on what the others were getting on theirs, and I should have followed mine! It was spot on for all ranges and yardage cuts. If you aren't used to hiking in the mountains, I would suggest hitting the local stadium and running stairs with weighted pack or leg weights, because you will definitely need the conditioning, or your legs will kill you the next day!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Patience. Bring lots of that. If the Big Sky shoot is anything like the one in SLC you'll spend most of the day waiting behind big bromance groups taking their time shooting. I don't even bother with that one anymore. 6 hours to shoot a course isn't my idea of fun.

Reactions: WCB

amassi

WKR
I’ll admit I’m new to even considering this kind of fun but what are the chances that anything cool like this makes it to Ca?
Plenty of dry ski resorts in the Sierras that need summer activities. My guess would be if enough left coasters emailed the organizers they could do the footwork

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

littlered

FNG
I shot Big Sky for the first time last summer. Can I expect a totally different course this year if the main lift at the lodge is running?

BucksNBulls

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll admit I’m new to even considering this kind of fun but what are the chances that anything cool like this makes it to Ca?
Team Whiskey High Sierra Mountain shoot at Homewood ski resort. This is their second year having one. They run a great event.

BucksNBulls

Lil-Rokslider
Team Whiskey High Sierra Mountain shoot at Homewood ski resort. This is their second year having one. They run a great event.