First time "Foxfire" experience. Have you seen Foxfire?

For the uninformed, Foxfire is a term used (among others) for the bioluminescence (glowing effect) of some forms of fungus, fungi, whatever. (Whatever stuff grows on dead decaying wood in a forest) Sometimes if the time is right, you can venture out into the woods and see patches of glowing "stuff". Its almost like what a lighting bug does but don't flash.. I always wanted to see it and I finally did.

I was out camping and firewood was getting scarce. I found a rotting log that still had some burnable wood in its core so I cut up the logs, packed them to camp, knocked off all the rotton bark and wood, and used the core for the fire. Later on that night, new moon OR no moon, it was dark and I had to ... tinkle. I exited my tent and suddenly the hairs on my neck stood up. The whole area was glowing green. My initial thought, still half asleep, was ALIENS HAVE LANDED!!!.. Then after I put 2 and 2 together.. firewood area, rotten wood, FOXFIRE!.. I woke my wife up and she was like, "wow honey, thats awesome" and went back to sleep. Sadly she didn't remember it the next morning. Have any of you guys ever saw foxfire?

Your wife pretended not to remember because she is “one of them”. 😂

That sounds like a cool experience. Does it only happen in certain parts of the country?

GSPHUNTER

WKR
It's been a while but I have seen a few times while in the woods. When I was in the Navy, when the ship was under way, we often saw bioluminescence in the wake of the ship.

It's been a while but I have seen a few times while in the woods. When I was in the Navy, when the ship was under way, we often saw bioluminescence in the wake of the ship.
I’ve seen that too. And more flying fish than I could ever count, dolphins playing in the bow waves and a water spout once. 👍

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I saw the movie..
I didn't like it. That was Called St. Elmos fire. Actually, that is what we called it in the Navy. But being Sailors we were drunk, or stoned most of the time, which made it really neat to see.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Saw thousands of glowing spiders once while sitting before daylight on
a creek bank waiting on sunrise. Was very unnerving, did not know what
they were at the time. Like stars, but on the ground and in the trees/bushes.

👆 Firefox 😉
I saw that not longer after it was released.

Foxfire is also the name of some fairly old school Appalachian mountain people/self reliance type books. My dad had several. I used to read them as a kid.

Saw glowing larvae in the ground once while camping with boy scouts as a teen. I figured they were larvae of lightning bugs but never really looked it up to see if my thoughts were true. Hundreds of glowing spots on the ground not moving.

Of course the younger ones with me thought it was aliens. Kinda funny.

OP
H
Your wife pretended not to remember because she is “one of them”. 😂

That sounds like a cool experience. Does it only happen in certain parts of the country?
Never thought of that! She definatly acts like an alien sometimes, :))) ..... I know its a deciduous forest thing in warm climates...