First Time Hunter- CA Muley

Tbone78

FNG
I finally did it. Took much longer than I hoped but I got out there for a few days opening weekend. I didn’t get a buck, in fact I didn‘t even see one. I know I made plenty of mistakes and apologies to the hunters I’m sure I pissed off, but I was thrilled to finally be in the game. Going back out in a couple weeks, so need to regroup and come up with a new plan. Proud to be a part of the this community. Now I need to work on getting my first buck so I can truly call myself a hunter. Good luck to all of you out there and hope you have a fantastic season.

Glad you got out and got after it! Everyone makes mistakes, it’s learning from them that’s important. It doesn’t hurt to take a journal and keep track of where you saw deer, sign, what time it was, wind direction. That’s all valuable information for future hunts.

Congrulations on the move too hunting, but it does not take a kill too make one a hunter. I know hunters who have hunted many years before making a kill. For me the hunt is matching wits with a animal in his turf, the kill is the bitter sweet part of the ending.

Moserkr

WKR
Good luck tbone! Dont ever get discouraged from failing to kill in CA. The hunting is hard here and the animals have the advantage. They dont act quite like the deer from other states either. Enjoy your time out there and the constant learning it gives you.

From my years hunting in CA, heres a few tips Ive learned.

Follow the green - greens are their groceries. Thick cover near the groceries will be their beds. Buckbrush is called that for a reason.

Follow the water - yes they can live in small pockets of minimal water. To find more deer, find larger sources of water. Larger sources of water will have more food generally.

Draws, saddles, and sidehills - I find more deer using these paths than traveling atop ridges or hanging out in the open (rare).

“Buck islands” - topographical rises on or near the mountain. Like benches, I believe they love em for the thermals and escape routes they use for protection. Play the wind.

Last, dont skip hunting midday. 2 biggest bucks ive come across were out at 1-2pm milling around.

Ztait

FNG
Congrats TBone78! This is my first year hunting in a while and my first year hunting in CA, so I feel like a newby again! This is good info, thanks.

Ztait
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PhotoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
It's great to see new hunters get started. Listen to all advise given. My advise: slow down or find a good place to stop when you find fresh sign. Stay downwind. Find water. Enjoy every minute.
Best of luck!

ixous

FNG
Congrats on getting out there. You’re already a hunter in my book. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

270Hunter

FNG
Just keep after it and always stay positive, hunting can and will get hard sometimes but that’s when you grit your teeth and keep after it. One of my most “successful” seasons I didn’t even fill a tag, but I learned a lot. For where I hunt and how I hunt scouting is the best way to find deer consistently, glassing is always a good way to find deer, setting trail cameras is another good way, and even just sitting on ridges or points that overlook several different trails. Best of luck to you, hunt hard and hunt often.

P.S. I also hunt in California

TheGDog

WKR
I finally did it. Took much longer than I hoped but I got out there for a few days opening weekend. I didn’t get a buck, in fact I didn‘t even see one. I know I made plenty of mistakes and apologies to the hunters I’m sure I pissed off, but I was thrilled to finally be in the game. Going back out in a couple weeks, so need to regroup and come up with a new plan. Proud to be a part of the this community. Now I need to work on getting my first buck so I can truly call myself a hunter. Good luck to all of you out there and hope you have a fantastic season.
And when you get that first buck? You're going to feel like a God for about a month and a half!

Keep at it and don't give up! Stay til end of shooting light every day.