First time hunting out west jitters

zacattack

WKR
Headed to Wyoming tomorrow from Michigan on my first hunt out west. I think I’m prepared but man am I nervous. Anybody else get this way?

Of course... it’s natural. If it was a walk in the park it wouldn’t be worth the trip.😉

They don’t call it an adventure because of the certainty of the outcome.

That's what makes it fun... Keep a jorunal, I use Evernote on my phone, it will help greatly with future trips. Good Luck and enjoy it!

scp

Lil-Rokslider
The fact that nerves are eating at you a bit signifies how you’ve committed yourself to this hunt. That alone means you’ll have a greater chance of success...and certainly a more rewarding experience regardless of whether you come home with an animal or not. Have a great time and good luck!

chops24

WKR
Ive been hunting "out west" for a long time, but i still get anxious and hyper every time! soak it all in man. I second the journal thing, although in my case i bury my phone deep in my pack when i hunt, i prefer a paper journal with pen and ink. In my case, i write it for my boys telling them all about what is happening, smells, sights, anxiety, dumb shit i do etc. Enjoy every second.

kiddogy

WKR
no reason to be nervous. whatever the outcome , I just try to have fun and deal with it with ,a mind over matter , temperament.

whatever the outcome , success or failure , I don't mind , cause it don't matter.

The day you do not get nervous or excited prior to a hunt, any hunt, is the day you should give it up.

ClearCreek

Pepe55

FNG
Amen, did my first diy colorado this year, thought how can we even do this. Got there at midnight set up camp slept for 3 hours and was on the mountain before daylight. And it was amazing!!!!! Thanx to onyx it was easy

It never goes away, I'm excited on the way home for the next year. Lol. I make a list of needs, wants and have to have for new gear. Look out check book it's going to take a hit.

I get so amped up that I'll make a 15+ hour drives straight through, solo. If I start to get drowsy, I'll catch a quick nap at a rest stop and continue on! I'm always amazed at how I can push through with all the excitement. On the way back is a different story though, ha.

OP
Z

zacattack

WKR
Yeah, I got super anxious about screwing up the first few times, and now I've just accepted that I'm probably going to screw up anyway, it's not quite as bad that way lol

Have fun man!

Yeah I think that’s part of it is that I think I’m going to screw something up mixed with a lot of excitement and anticipation.

Like y’all said that’s just part of it!

Sleeperls

Lil-Rokslider
Hell im packing Now and i leave in 2 weeks lol. Nervous is a understatement.

Bringing everything and the sink

16Bore

WKR
Wait until you get back and realize all the crap you worried about that didn’t happen....then all the crap you carried that you didn’t need.

The only other thing that would suck is the animal you’re after appearing the first hour into the first day.

Don’t pass on the first day what you’d be happy to shoot the last!