First time hunting out west jitters

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The day you do not get nervous or excited prior to a hunt, any hunt, is the day you should give it up.

I guess I should have given up hunting years ago then, but then I would have missed all those hunts and my time in the mountains during September. So maybe that isn't the best indicator of time to give it up.

Once I get to about 11k feet in elevation, the adrenaline starts pumping. But that happens even when I'm not hunting, must be an altitude thing. The excitement starts for me as soon as I get that deep guttural growl for a bugle response to my bugle.

woody6899

FNG
I keep my mind occupied on other stuff. Going over plan A thru ZZ on the map. Packing list over and over again. ( don’t forget tire chains) when you get here enjoy the time you have here... no pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super excited/amped up to where I can’t sleep, yes. Nervous/scared, no. The only thing I was worried about on my first western hunt was altitude sickness, but I followed recommendations and thankfully had no issues.

Put in the preparation, cross every “T” and dot every “I”, you’ll have no real issues. Don’t go in with untested gear or marginal fitness, if you can envision something going wrong, fix it. Loctite your sight, tape your feet, carry a spare lighter and headlamp, etc.

Sure, you could always make the wrong call, spook an animal, or miss a shot, but that’s just hunting.

Blackdirt Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
I’m preparing for my first hunt as well. I didn’t draw any tags this year, so I leave for Colorado in two weeks. I’ve been preparing, buying gear, and e scouting for a year. I’ve changed the unit I am going to hunt three times, but I finally think I have a solid plan. I’m not so much nervous as excited. This will be my first mountain hunt, solo to boot. It can’t get here soon enough.

wytx

WKR
We've got weather coming. Get here before Thursday. Road closures can mess with plans.

Hhardrockminer

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Zac, I'm close to wy.(SD) we just had 5" of snow yesterday with wind(45 mph min) and 47 degrees today, so be ready for change now and then . Hhardrock

OP
Z

zacattack

WKR
Hey Zac, I'm close to wy.(SD) we just had 5" of snow yesterday with wind(45 mph min) and 47 degrees today, so be ready for change now and then . Hhardrock

Yeah I drove through all that rain last night and this morning in South Dakota first time I’ve ever been to the badlands. Didn’t get any snow, hoping that’ll hold off but who knows. Going out bright and early in the morning from Casper. Looks like a nice day tomorrow but I could stand if the wind would knock off about 10 mph or so lol.

Must say this is some amazing country y’all have out here.

OP
Z

zacattack

WKR

Yeah I drove through all that rain last night and this morning in South Dakota first time I’ve ever been to the badlands. Didn’t get any snow, hoping that’ll hold off but who knows. Going out bright and early in the morning from Casper. Looks like a nice day tomorrow but I could stand if the wind would knock off about 10 mph or so lol.

tntrker

WKR
I’m preparing for my first hunt as well. I didn’t draw any tags this year, so I leave for Colorado in two weeks. I’ve been preparing, buying gear, and e scouting for a year. I’ve changed the unit I am going to hunt three times, but I finally think I have a solid plan. I’m not so much nervous as excited. This will be my first mountain hunt, solo to boot. It can’t get here soon enough.

Way to go Blackdirt, let us know how your hunt goes!!

tntrker

WKR

Good Luck, looking forward to your story of success!!

Hhardrockminer

Lil-Rokslider
Just my .02, stop on your way home and see Mt. Rushmore. It's a GREAT sight and you'll see what amount of work that went in to creating it.
Always gives me a great deal of pride in our country.
Hope you all enjoy the areas you'll be in and have great luck and experiences. Hhardrock