First time Idaho bowhunt

First time posting!
Heading to Idaho this year. This will be my first solo hunt, so I need as much info as possible.
Best public land unit?
Tent recommendation?
Bears/wolf concerns
I plan on eating MREs and dehydrated food.
Anything at all is appreciated. And I'm glad to be part of the community!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Dusty2426

WKR
First time posting!
Heading to Idaho this year. This will be my first solo hunt, so I need as much info as possible.
Best public land unit?
Tent recommendation?
Bears/wolf concerns
I plan on eating MREs and dehydrated food.
Anything at all is appreciated. And I'm glad to be part of the community!

Never hunted Idaho so cant help you on unit.
Freeze dried meals are good but take some trail mix and jerky or dried fruit to help break it up. Mre are dense and heavy you can do better.
Tent I run a kifaru supertarp with an ex and stove when solo and a tut with stove when buddied up. Bears and wolve are not a huge concern store food away from camp but be alert and pack good pistol or spray (I’m a pistol guy) take good gear don’t skimp here. A garmin Inreach is a good investment. My 2 cents. Have fun and enjoy the journey

If we told you the best unit, which no one truly knows, it wouldn't be the best unit anymore. Do your research rather than simply ask the question. Look on the Fish and Game website, talk to bios. etc. Figure out which zones are at objective, public land percentage, hunter numbers. The hunt planner is probably the best starting point.

Wolf and bear problems throughout, the intensity varies and generally correlates with remoteness of winter range.

OP
D
If we told you the best unit, which no one truly knows, it wouldn't be the best unit anymore. Do your research rather than simply ask the question. Look on the Fish and Game website, talk to bios. etc. Figure out which zones are at objective, public land percentage, hunter numbers. The hunt planner is probably the best starting point.

Wolf and bear problems throughout, the intensity varies and generally correlates with remoteness of winter range.
I guess by "best unit" I mean a happy medium between successful harvest and not flooded by hunters on four wheelers. From here I'm just looking for a reference from hunters, that why I asked here specifically. I did a tag a long hunt with my brother that worked with the fish and game and a biologist and wasted a bunch of money trying to outhunt 4 wheelers and guide services in northern Colorado.

Dusty2426

WKR
I guess by "best unit" I mean a happy medium between successful harvest and not flooded by hunters on four wheelers. From here I'm just looking for a reference from hunters, that why I asked here specifically. I did a tag a long hunt with my brother that worked with the fish and game and a biologist and wasted a bunch of money trying to outhunt 4 wheelers and guide services in northern Colorado.

Get a good mapping system I use onX find wilderness area or no roads area and be prepared to walk in. Only way to beat the 4 wheelers is go where they can’t.

You don't want a site with this much traffic and google crawled spewing out unit recommendations. Idaho is getting real crowded on OCT hunts.

The thing people don't realize is learning how to hunt elk is exponentially more important than asking around for the perfect spot. Put a good elk hunter in any one of a dozen plus Idaho or Colorado walk units and they'll find elk. Just find some terrain you like where the densities aren't irregularly low and get hunting.

That said, I'm willing to share a general idea or two via PM as I'm sure many others are.

Hey man, welcome to the forum and I’d like to just say thank you for your participation.

I was wondering why you are trying to ask a bunch of rando’s these questions, when the state of Idaho puts out all the info on a website?

Don’t get me wrong, I like to talk tactics, gear, load outs, winter kill, conservation, scouting, hunting, fitness, optics, shooting, diy projects, reloading, photography, winter mobility etc etc etc- you know “hunting stuff” especially “back country huntinnstufd” as much as anyone, but when I’m trying to get information about unit statistics, or harvest data or draw odds or herd statistics, health, distribution, or snow pack rainfall or active burn areas, or closed roads and trails, or tag numbers and allocations and availability, or predator concerns, or legal questions regarding what I can shoot or not, or when I can shoot it or where, no matter the state, species, or If it’s hinting or fishing, I go to the source.

Anyway, I use a bivy sack and sleeping bag or quilt depending on the season and a tarp that I can I I spend if I need to sit out of the rain some. I also use a marmot Ajax 3 man tent that I like but I’m not in love with. Lot of guys like tipis.

I’d pick a limited OTC tag (basically a unit that’s under objective) that’s not sold out yet and pay no attention to hunter success numbers as what others do or have done has no bearing on how you will perform. You will harvest or not on your own merit regardless of how many or how few get it done around you.

Last edited:

Fullfan

WKR
Been hunting Idaho as a non resident since 1983, seen lots of changes. Most important thing I can tell you is get in shape, one more time. Get in shape. Idaho is not for the faint of heart, it will humble you, wear you out mentally, physically and emotionally. But that what is what keeps me going back..

As mentioned the OTC units are over run with hunters, and if you think I will just push back further than others are willing to be alone, you will not be. The wolves have changed the behavior of the elk keep that in mind.

Go explore have fun but most of all stay safe..

OP
D
Hey man, welcome to the forum and I’d like to just say thank you for your participation.

I was wondering why you are trying to ask a bunch of rando’s these questions, when the state of Idaho puts out all the info on a website?

Don’t get me wrong, I like to talk tactics, gear, load outs, winter kill, conservation, scouting, hunting, fitness, optics, shooting, diy projects, reloading, photography, winter mobility etc etc etc- you know “hunting stuff” especially “back country huntinnstufd” as much as anyone, but when I’m trying to get information about unit statistics, or harvest data or draw odds or herd statistics, health, distribution, or snow pack rainfall or active burn areas, or closed roads and trails, or tag numbers and allocations and availability, or predator concerns, or legal questions regarding what I can shoot or not, or when I can shoot it or where, no matter the state, species, or If it’s hinting or fishing, I go to the source.

Anyway, I use a bivy sack and sleeping bag or quilt depending on the season and a tarp that I can I I spend if I need to sit out of the rain some. I also use a marmot Ajax 3 man tent that I like but I’m not in love with. Lot of guys like tipis.

I’d pick a limited OTC tag (basically a unit that’s under objective) that’s not sold out yet and pay no attention to hunter success numbers as what others do or have done has no bearing on how you will perform. You will harvest or not on your own merit regardless of how many or how few get it done around you.
I guess I was hoping to get some info from Idaho bow hunters who are willing to share some insight with a newbie. I tagged a long with my brother on a diy elk hunt last year in Colorado and we got skunked hard. I put most of the "blame" on the high temperatures upwords of 50 degrees and it being third rifle season, as the locals said the success rate was pretty high earlier in the month. other than that, I'm just looking to saturate myself with info from locals. I'll be using this reference to zero in on a unit later. Thanks!

GregB

WKR
Look I'm not trying to be rude but when someone hops on here and says I'm new and going to hunt X state for deer, elk whatever; someone tell me what unit to go to. It's a pretty big turn off when the poster has not put any effort themselves into research and just wants someone with experience to tell them where to go. You would get more positive responses if you've done some research and had specific questions about specific areas, and dealt with that via PM instead of a public posting. Here's the link to IDFG website. Idaho Fish and Game.
Also the weather can be anywhere from 80 and sunny to 20 and snowing in September. There are grizzly's in some parts of the state, and unfortunately wolves are where the elk are. I would only eat the dehydrated meals for dinner and real food for breakfast lunch and snacks. The tent would depend on if you are backpacking or truck camping.

Here is the issue, it is against a locals best interest to share any specific information on a unit they have spent their time learning. Loose lips sink ships. Spend a few years here learning, hunting, and scouting your area and then see how willing you are to give that information away on the internet. If you are really serious about elk hunting, throw a dart at the map, buy a tag (if its OTC), and get after it.

OP
D
Just to be clear, first and most importantly, This forum isn't my only plan for information. I do plan on contacting the game and fish , biologists, and using many other resources.
Secondly, of course I don't expect people to share a "honey hole" they've found after years of hunting.
I'm just asking for references from people that have lived it, and and are willing to share what they want to.
I love to share what I know about my local area, and I figured there may be people on this forum that have the same mentality.

I live in ND, so I'm 13 hours away from the border. If it was even half that I'd be driving and scouting on my own, but with a young family I can't do that. I appreciate what tips I get, and come the end of September I'd love to come back to this forum and say thanks for the help.

Just to be clear, first and most importantly, This forum isn't my only plan for information. I do plan on contacting the game and fish , biologists, and using many other resources.
Secondly, of course I don't expect people to share a "honey hole" they've found after years of hunting.
I'm just asking for references from people that have lived it, and and are willing to share what they want to.
I love to share what I know about my local area, and I figured there may be people on this forum that have the same mentality.

Having lived it, you're not likely to find many guys wanting to advertise their best/favorite unit on an open forum and many get salty at those that ask the question. The rest of the questions/comments are kind of generic until you decide unit/zone your'e going to target. It's Idaho, the vast majority of elk habitat is public ground and don't know what else to tell you. Bears, wolves, equipment, tactics all depends on where you decide to hunt.

This is a great forum for talking gear, tactics, planning... but we (the forum) need to know where to start, because from ground zero there's about a million different ways to go and many of them won't necessarily be helpful to you.

I live in ND, so I'm 13 hours away from the border. If it was even half that I'd be driving and scouting on my own, but with a young family I can't do that. I appreciate what tips I get, and come the end of September I'd love to come back to this forum and say thanks for the help.

I think you need to accept hunting Idaho might not be the most realistic option. Logistically does it pencil out? Its much cheaper to buy a side of beef than throwing your money away driving over without ever putting boots on the ground. I started hunting here as a NR and no way would I pay for a tag if I lived to far away to scout.

Also, people are not referring to honey holes, just discussing units in general bring more attention, competition for camp spots increases, trail heads get crowded, hunting pressure increases etc. Since you haven't ever hunted over here, I will tell you Idaho has become quite popular over the last few years, especially during archery season, and its only getting worse.

If it is your dream to come hunt Idaho by all means do it. Just be prepared for a steep, expensive learning curve. It will take time and 10 years from now I am sure it will be worth it if you have found "your elk spot". What I would do is watch all the hunting bro videos on you tube and see if you can figure out where they are going. A lot of those guys drop a lot of information for free if you know what to listen and look for.

If I were you I would pick the closest state and OTC unit and start learning the country.

Last edited:

PHo

WKR
I've hunted Idaho in the same unit for the last three years. I'll echo some of the things that others have already said:

1) Get in shape. I was pretty much broken after my first year there. The mountains are steep and if you want to get into elk expect to do 2,000ft elevation climbs everyday on average. You might read this and think "well I'll just hike up 2000ft one time, set up camp and then hunt them from there." But camping where they're bedded is ill-advised and all you'll be doing is blowing out the elk on that particular ridge because of thermals, then you'll come to the realization that you have to descend 2000ft then go to another ridge and ascend another 2000ft before starting to hunt again. Get in shape.

2) From what I've seen, the OTC unit that I'm in has a lot of hunting pressure and I imagine that most of the other OTC units are the same. While this in and of itself isn't a problem (it was really easy for me to get away from people, in fact I only ran into hunters when I was at the trailhead), what is a problem is how the elk behave with all that hunting pressure. In my case, the elk were very call-shy. Last year I had more than a few situations where I'd see bulls, get within 50yds of them and try to bugle and/or cow call to them and they would just immediately run off. Maybe they were use to hunter calls? I don't really know, but I just did what I saw on youtube and it didn't work for me. In hindsight I realized that in every one of those situations my chances would've been greatly improved had I planned and executed a stalk, like the way I would hunt mule deer. Read the situation and plan accordingly, don't just do things because that's what you saw on youtube.

3) If you want to hike in and set up a spike camp and then hunt from there that's great, I did the same thing and I think that would likely be an amazing experience for you...all the elk I saw were within three miles of the trailhead. Infer from that what you will.

Hope this helps, have fun and stay safe!

I think the question that the OP is asking is fair enough, and if I was coming west for my first elk hunt I'd likely ask the same one. What is really hard for hunters who haven't lived in elk country their entire lives to comprehend is how insanely more people there are now than 20 or 30 years ago. Each state is dealing with the influx differently. Idaho, Colorado, and Montana are still relatively simple to get tags for, and that's where most NR hunters end up. That said, the residents of those states that remember better days will always have a wall up when it comes to NR hunters. A lot of good info can be had from the F&G statistics. I find myself referring to them every year for various reasons. The hunger to hunt the American West will never be gone, but the opportunities for those who reside in other states are slowly beginning to dwindle. Better get it done while you have the chance.

Hard to believe how much pressure there is.

438c9ea10fb8a44cafa740898c8cbf0f.jpg

aef38ca0994fdf7ef442bbefa1540141.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wolverine

Lil-Rokslider
My recommendation is to just read everything you can on locations. Asking anything about locations other than weather is usually asking for drama. There is a ton of info already out there in past threads in this forum and others. My spot in Idaho was great for 6 of the 9 years i hunted it. 2 years ago there was a reasonable amount of people but last year was just ridiculous with the amout of people. We spent just as much time scouting by truck as we did by boot just to find parking. That effort didn't payoff for that year but hopefully will benefit us in the future with what we learned. Last thing I want to is give any info to make it more crowded.

If you only plan to do the trip once, you might just consider going guided. If this is a hunt you want to do several times, then just pick a spot and start learning it. First year hunt from the truck and stay mobile. Don't stay if you don't see sign or game. Move 1-2 or 20 miles if needed. Elk leave sign, you'll know if they are there. You'll learn so much your first trip that you should be able to hit the ground running your next trip.

Get in shape. You hear it all the time but it can't be said enough. Go out there not prepared and you'll spend way too much time in camp. Boots, backpack and binos are the pieces of gear to spend the most focus on. Tire chains are easily overlooked but I wouldn't recommend going in too deep without them. Good luck and did i mention get in shape.