First time Idaho bowhunt

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
Best over the counter units in Idaho are in the northern part of the state where I dont hunt... Lol. Wolves are all over Idaho but they rarely mess up my hunting. If they are howling the elk most times will be a lot quieter. If you are hunting solo elk are huge so remember not to go too far in cause meat could spoil if you cannot get it out quick enough. 4 wheelers are everywhere.

The Western Hunting dream is for sale. People are mostly bitter on here due to the fact is every tom dick and harry whitetail hunter from the east coast, or mid west jumps on here and says hey guess what guys I am hunting Idaho or Colorado or Arizona whats your advice and then everone gets flustered Including me. Then we all turn i to trolls.

We dont even get the opportunity to invade most of their hunting spots even if we wanted because its mostly all private land out that way. No forum on private land whitetail info that people are sharing tree stands to my knowledge. Lol that said good luck it is public land and more Idfag's fault for all the frusterated hunters not the fng on the forum but you just caught the brunt of it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

cgasner1

WKR
Haven’t hunted Idaho in a couple years unit we hunted got hit with some insane pressure I know the years we planned on hunting it I also put in for a deer and elk tag you are buying the license why not try and draw a killer tag have the otc hunt you can still plan for but you could win the lottery for the same coin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SlimWhitman

Lil-Rokslider
If you searched “Idaho first bow hunt” on here you would understand where everybody is coming from. It’s daily.

There is a lot to learn but the information is all available. You just have to spend the time to find it. And sometimes the money. Go hunt, onX, Elk101, Chris Roe Resources.

I bought every subscription there’s was, googled elk hunting unit XX until I was retreading articles, listened to every podcast, watched every YouTube video, searched OnX every night of the week, you name it. I spent 2 years meticulously planning, mostly because the first years hunt didn’t work out, but I’m glad. My planned units changed 3 times in that time just based on info I was finding myself and as I learned more about each unit.

You can kill elk in every unit. You will find people in every unit. The key is understanding elk enough to adapt to when you aren’t seeing elk, or when you are seeing people.

I must’ve marked 100 spots on OnX. We only ended up actually hunting 1 of them. The others we actually made it to weren’t accessible or were crowded. We audibled 2 days in and went back to town to regroup and hit maps again with a better understanding of the terrain as our capabilities.

You have to have a game plan for every encounter. Live by the wind. Keep hunting. When you want to turn around, there’s an elk over the next ridge. When there isn’t an elk there, it’s over the next ridge. If you keep hunting and respect the wind, you will eventually end up in the right situation. That’s just about anywhere.

That was our first bow hunt, first elk hunt, first real big game hunt. We’re just bird hunters. We killed a spike on the last day. It was no easy task.

Have a plan for everything. Then, when you show up and all of those plans go out the window, know enough to make educated game time decisions based on what you are seeing and your capabilities.

Then, when you put in all that work and you’re sitting on the couch dreaming about next season, someone will post “Idaho first bow hunt” and you’ll understand.

I did my first DIY otc archery elk last September in Idaho, with all the information I gathered here, from a friend that used to hunt the area and guys I met on the mountain, nothing compared to boots on the ground. I drove from boston to Idaho so I didn't have the ability to scout but everyday I did 7+ miles I found elk. I just kept pushing on till I found them and eventually blew them out, everyday...… and what guys are saying throw a dart at a map couldn't be more true, id be at camp at night on google maps and think I want to go check this spot out, go there hike my ass off and find them. I hunted the first few days with a friend and the last six alone, and in those last six days I probably had a handful of encounters under 75 yards but couldn't get a clear shot, I envisioned idaho to be open country and some was but everywhere I found elk was in the thick nasty shit. just go, hike your ass off and youll find them, I didn't end up getting one but it was the best hunt ive ever been on, plan on going back and getting my ass kicked again this year. and yes lots of hunters saw no wolves but heard them, lots of black bear, saw a sow grizz and two cubs at about a hundred yards and tons of sign, but no issues..

ndbuck09

WKR
There in lies why no one wants to give units out, a lot of people, myself included have areas we know where the elk are in September. We hunt them in a manner as to not blow them out. You just hope that no one comes in that doesn't have the knowledge of the particular area and blows them out inadvertently. I personally play the slow game quite a bit where if they won't cooperate on a morning and come in, I let them be and don't push em too much. It keeps the herd where I know they're at and I can be prepared the next morning or evening. Last fall, my A spot got blown out by guys cruising into the drainage so I had to roll to the B spot where we shot 2 elk.
The popular strategy of hiking and calling can work for folks but in my opinion, it also really works to market to folks not familiar/far away from their elk hunting areas.

Reactions: PHo

beardedbowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Best public land unit to hunt? Well they are all literally chock full of people no matter where you go so just do some research and quite literally pick a spot. No one is going to tell you where to go especially with how many people come to Idaho every year. I saw people every day and saw 1 bull out of 14 days. Expect to work your ass off. Idaho mountains are no joke. I thought I was in good enough shape but got my ass kicked every day.

KHNC

WKR
I hope i never have to hunt OTC idaho again. The amount of hunters in sept was ridiculous. As was the mid september week long blizzard. Heres to hoping for success in the draws!

Pwells10

WKR
Tex creek, lemhi, bannock zones would do you good. Good bulls in all. Wolves in lemhi as well as bear and cougars. Tex creek has bear. wolf here and there. Bannock has wolves in the winter and an occasional bear that passes through.

Best shape of your life is key

sneaky

"DADDY"
I hope i never have to hunt OTC idaho again. The amount of hunters in sept was ridiculous. As was the mid september week long blizzard. Heres to hoping for success in the draws!
I've hunted Idaho multiple years, in a high demand unit, and I have seen less than 10 hunters in the woods in 5 seasons. Im wondering how you guys are all running into people every day.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

brianrossman1

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in the same boat as you this year but going with my brother who has hunted Idaho before. Current plan is to drive over from WA and fly into the Frank Church but we may audible depending on what we hear back from biologists.

Agree with everyone here about getting in great shape. I’ve been pounding out the workouts getting ready and while I’m making good progress I have a long way to go before I’m satisfied.

Last edited:

KHNC

WKR
I've hunted Idaho multiple years, in a high demand unit, and I have seen less than 10 hunters in the woods in 5 seasons. Im wondering how you guys are all running into people every day.

Hunted near Leadore. Camps all up and down most every access road. We were set to hunt the high country until the snow pushed the elk down. The low areas were full of hunters. Lemhi zone

sneaky

"DADDY"
Hunted near Leadore. Camps all up and down most every access road. We were set to hunt the high country until the snow pushed the elk down. The low areas were full of hunters. Lemhi zone
You can get away from folks in Lemhi, but around Leadore isn't it lol

If you searched “Idaho first bow hunt” on here you would understand where everybody is coming from. It’s daily.

There is a lot to learn but the information is all available. You just have to spend the time to find it. And sometimes the money. Go hunt, onX, Elk101, Chris Roe Resources.

I bought every subscription there’s was, googled elk hunting unit XX until I was retreading articles, listened to every podcast, watched every YouTube video, searched OnX every night of the week, you name it. I spent 2 years meticulously planning, mostly because the first years hunt didn’t work out, but I’m glad. My planned units changed 3 times in that time just based on info I was finding myself and as I learned more about each unit.

You can kill elk in every unit. You will find people in every unit. The key is understanding elk enough to adapt to when you aren’t seeing elk, or when you are seeing people.

I must’ve marked 100 spots on OnX. We only ended up actually hunting 1 of them. The others we actually made it to weren’t accessible or were crowded. We audibled 2 days in and went back to town to regroup and hit maps again with a better understanding of the terrain as our capabilities.

You have to have a game plan for every encounter. Live by the wind. Keep hunting. When you want to turn around, there’s an elk over the next ridge. When there isn’t an elk there, it’s over the next ridge. If you keep hunting and respect the wind, you will eventually end up in the right situation. That’s just about anywhere.

That was our first bow hunt, first elk hunt, first real big game hunt. We’re just bird hunters. We killed a spike on the last day. It was no easy task.

Have a plan for everything. Then, when you show up and all of those plans go out the window, know enough to make educated game time decisions based on what you are seeing and your capabilities.

Then, when you put in all that work and you’re sitting on the couch dreaming about next season, someone will post “Idaho first bow hunt” and you’ll understand.

^^^^^ This ^^^^^

Almost identical to what we did and experienced. I spent HOURS on here reading and on other forums. Then I spent HOURS on Idahos F&G website and ended up meeting some cool folks through social media and through pms on multiple forums. But I spent a lot of time for a year and a half doing all that and calling biologist and other resource professionals in the area before I narrowed it down to 2 units. Then I listened to the podcast and relistened watched all the tactic related videos I could. When we finally got decided on an area, I littered the place with waypoints on onX and then again on GE with TopRut layers. I was very fortunate to have made some friends with folks on the ground out there who would field a phone call and compare notes. We also allotted ourselves 2 weeks off from work. Luckily we could swing that in 2018. We drove around and found camps and trucks all over the place. We averaged 11 miles a day hiking. Hunted 3 spots and "phoned a friend" a few times to discuss what we were seeing and areas we were hunting. Day 6 we saw elk. Day 8 we had 2 shots. Day 9, we put down a nice bull. Was awesome. And hardest thing I have ever done in the realm of hunting. Many moments that were "secondary fun". And now we are hooked.

Lots of places to do your research and lots of resources available. I agree with the final sentence in the quoted text... "when you put in all that work and you’re sitting on the couch dreaming about next season, someone will post “Idaho first bow hunt” and you’ll understand"

Best over the counter units in Idaho are in the northern part of the state where I dont hunt... Lol. Wolves are all over Idaho but they rarely mess up my hunting. If they are howling the elk most times will be a lot quieter. If you are hunting solo elk are huge so remember not to go too far in cause meat could spoil if you cannot get it out quick enough. 4 wheelers are everywhere.

The Western Hunting dream is for sale. People are mostly bitter on here due to the fact is every tom dick and harry whitetail hunter from the east coast, or mid west jumps on here and says hey guess what guys I am hunting Idaho or Colorado or Arizona whats your advice and then everone gets flustered Including me. Then we all turn i to trolls.

We dont even get the opportunity to invade most of their hunting spots even if we wanted because its mostly all private land out that way. No forum on private land whitetail info that people are sharing tree stands to my knowledge. Lol that said good luck it is public land and more Idfag's fault for all the frusterated hunters not the fng on the forum but you just caught the brunt of it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
1.2 Million acres of NF in WEstern NC that I happily invite you to hunt! Ill share all the spots and my treestands and saddles! Please come invade! Then maybe I can get some more folks advocating for wildlife habitat here!!

sneaky

"DADDY"
1.2 Million acres of NF in WEstern NC that I happily invite you to hunt! Ill share all the spots and my treestands and saddles! Please come invade! Then maybe I can get some more folks advocating for wildlife habitat here!!
Good luck with that. I grew up in SE TN right on the edge of the Cherokee NF. They don't think that land could ever go away...

Good luck with that. I grew up in SE TN right on the edge of the Cherokee NF. They don't think that land could ever go away...

Nice! I'm right over the line off of Pisgah NF in Western NC. About 40 Minutes from Johnson City. We are starting to see some traction for habitat.... but it is a long road to hoe..

What unit and GPS coordinates you hunt- asking for a friend....
I hunt in a high demand unit as well.
I saw a bunch of hunters...
- as I left base camp, and drove by theirs.
- As I glassed from 9000' and saw guys on horseback about 7 miles away
- As I left my spike camp and saw 2 guys packing out last load of the elk they got, that was 5 miles from where I was
-As I checked out another area and saw every horse trailer from the Midwest congregated in one designated area

When I was hunting, I saw a parked 4 wheeler as I hiked in from bottom hoping to locate what I heard from the top.... does that count?

Just remember, here is a pro tip.... If you hunt Idaho, make sure you are there for the opener, so you have best chance at getting on elk first before they get too pressured. Put your week vacation in for 9/1 and get r done.
:)

sneaky

"DADDY"
What unit and GPS coordinates you hunt- asking for a friend....
I hunt in a high demand unit as well.
I saw a bunch of hunters...
- as I left base camp, and drove by theirs.
- As I glassed from 9000' and saw guys on horseback about 7 miles away
- As I left my spike camp and saw 2 guys packing out last load of the elk they got, that was 5 miles from where I was
-As I checked out another area and saw every horse trailer from the Midwest congregated in one designated area

When I was hunting, I saw a parked 4 wheeler as I hiked in from bottom hoping to locate what I heard from the top.... does that count?

Just remember, here is a pro tip.... If you hunt Idaho, make sure you are there for the opener, so you have best chance at getting on elk first before they get too pressured. Put your week vacation in for 9/1 and get r done.
:)
We've always killed our elk the last week of the season in that unit lol. That first week doesn't git r done. Usually hot and crowded because of labor day. You can give it a whirl this year and let us know .