First time Idaho DIY elk hunt

Chase_D

FNG
A friend and myself just got back from our first DIY archery elk hunt in Idaho. We’re from NC and neither of us had been on a unguided elk hunt. We started planning the trip over a year ago and chose unit 66. After carefully preparation our gear, including food weighed in a little over 50 pounds. We saw/heard elk, but didn’t get one on the ground. We saw moose and ended up taking a small mule deer buck. Overall our trip exceeded our expectations. We’ll be back next year.

afalcone

FNG
A friend and myself just got back from our first DIY archery elk hunt in Idaho. We’re from NC and neither of us had been on a unguided elk hunt. We started planning the trip over a year ago and chose unit 66. After carefully preparation our gear, including food weighed in a little over 50 pounds. We saw/heard elk, but didn’t get one on the ground. We saw moose and ended up taking a small mule deer buck. Overall our trip exceeded our expectations. We’ll be back next year.
Sounds like an awesome trip. Did you apply in Idaho or were you able to purchase tags over the counter?

kiddogy

WKR
congrats on your buck!
keep at it you'll gain experience and soon be an every year killer.

DogBrain

FNG
Awesome to hear about git'n after it for elk. I've been to CO twice. I'll be back.

Congrats! Me and a friend are going on a our first DIY backcountry hunt next November in unit 36A. It's a cow elk rifle tag. As a fellow East coast hunter, I'm curious what you thought of the weather and terrain. Were you prepared? Some things you could have improved on? My friend and I are used to camping, but never like this is the West. It get's pretty cold in the Adirondacks in NY (where we hunt/camp), but we've never camped in elevations like Idaho.

KHALONIA

FNG
Sounds like an awesome trip. Di xender discord omegle d you apply in Idaho or were you able to purchase tags over the counter?
little over 50 pounds. We saw/heard elk, but didn’t get one on the ground. We saw moose and ended up taking a small mule deer buck. Overall our trip exceeded our expectations. We’ll be back next year.

Last edited:
Awesome to be successful after quite a journey from NC to Idaho. Im hoping to do the same in 2022 after graduate school. Thank you for sharing !

Congratulation! Doing my first trip in October!

HMP25

FNG
Always a good time out with friends! Harvesting a big game animal is just icing on the cake! Congrats