First time Idaho DIY elk..

snopro176

WKR
A buddy and I are going to commit to OTC archery elk this year in Idaho. We've been looking at the brownlee and weiser units mainly because the herds are supposedly healthy and they're close-ish to home. Having never hunted elk before, we wanted to make sure we chose a either sex tag as we have no desire to hold out for a certain size bull, this is truly a "elk" hunt. My question is, are there other units we've overlooked that could offer better opportunities at an elk or would you say this has as good of a chance as any? Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

IMO most areas in Idaho hold elk. Will you be doing any scouting trips in advance of the season? I’ve hunted Pallisades and Salmon zones and had pretty good experiences, although it’s a grind elk hunting anywhere OTC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
snopro176

snopro176

WKR
IMO most areas in Idaho hold elk. Will you be doing any scouting trips in advance of the season? I’ve hunted Pallisades and Salmon zones and had pretty good experiences, although it’s a grind elk hunting anywhere OTC.

Unfortunately no scouting trips, just dont have the vacation time built up yet. I've been pointed a vague direction by a guy who's deer hunted there and the rest I'll have to do via Google earth and speaking with a biologist.

Good to have something to go off of from someone you know. That’s a start. If you have other Idaho specific questions, don’t hesitate to reach out.

OP
snopro176

snopro176

WKR
I agree. I wouldn't say I got any hot tips, just that he hunted deer there and saw more elk than deer, sounds like a plus to me.

downthepipe

Lil-Rokslider
That’s as good of an area as any other. You’ll be able to do plenty of scouting with online tools. What you’ll have to learn on the ground is where everyone else is at

Calbuck

WKR
Main thing you will need to do is get up high enough to see a lot of the country around you..use your optics to find elk, no matter how far away. Then use the glass and maps/gps to figure out how to get to them..roads, trails, cross-country. Whatever it takes. Then its up to you to get em.

OP
snopro176

snopro176

WKR
That's the plan, glass as much ground as quick as possible, we'reonly going to he there 5 hunting days. We're gonna truck camp and bivy out everyday in case a situation calls for it.

jmcd22

WKR
I would definitely invest in OnX if you're going to hunt the Weiser and Brownlee areas...lots of private land depending on what unit you're in for that zone. Brownlee (31) and Weiser River (32) have by far the most private land. There are elk in there but they are pressured pretty hard. Lots of 4x4 roads in the NF areas that are heavily used all throughout the year.

OP
snopro176

snopro176

WKR
I would definitely invest in OnX if you're going to hunt the Weiser and Brownlee areas...lots of private land depending on what unit you're in for that zone. Brownlee (31) and Weiser River (32) have by far the most private land. There are elk in there but they are pressured pretty hard. Lots of 4x4 roads in the NF areas that are heavily used all throughout the year.
I've been practically living on onx lately. 49.5% public is kind of concerning. 22 has I think 72% public land and not as steep of terrain as 31 from what i can tell. I'd say I'm torn between those two, just hard to tell which would be more condusive to opportunities at legal animals. I'll be calling a biologist up here soon, not sure how forthcoming her or she will he but its worth a shot.

I've been practically living on onx lately. 49.5% public is kind of concerning. 22 has I think 72% public land and not as steep of terrain as 31 from what i can tell. I'd say I'm torn between those two, just hard to tell which would be more condusive to opportunities at legal animals. I'll be calling a biologist up here soon, not sure how forthcoming her or she will he but its worth a shot.

Idaho F&G also has good hunter harvest stats that you can check out to in order to ascertain approximate hunter numbers and odds of success. https://idfg.idaho.gov/ifwis/huntplanner/stats/?season=general&game=elk&yr=2018&method=archery

jmcd22

WKR

The public land is pretty concentrated too so you will see other hunters. I've done some cat hunting in 31 and it can be steep but then again, most of Idaho is steep. I think the best way to approach it is to be mobile. Your tag will be good for both units, just head on up and hunt one area and if you aren't into elk after a few days, pack up and move to another area. We generally have 4-5 different areas that we have planned out if we cannot find the elk. You'll find them, you just might have to try a few places.

Expect lots of traffic and company over there. 22 at least is 4 wheeler heaven and close to small towns.

Hunter stats have a huge amount of noise.
These zones have a lot of private property compared to other zones. It's hard to evaluate which zones have more beer drinking Elmer Fudd types versus people who put some effort in. Places close to town attract more of those guys while wilderness areas attract more horse hunters. Some units have a lot of outfitted hunting.

If you do some research, you should be able to get a feel for the elk numbers in the different zones. You're willing to pop a cow so that helps your chances.

Mac7

WKR
The public land is pretty concentrated too so you will see other hunters. I've done some cat hunting in 31 and it can be steep but then again, most of Idaho is steep. I think the best way to approach it is to be mobile. Your tag will be good for both units, just head on up and hunt one area and if you aren't into elk after a few days, pack up and move to another area. We generally have 4-5 different areas that we have planned out if we cannot find the elk. You'll find them, you just might have to try a few places.

Nope unless something is changing they are different zones.

OP
snopro176

snopro176

WKR
I appreciate all the info you guys. I wish like hell there was wilderness area there so I could at least guarantee being away from road hunters and ATV traffic, but it is what it is.