First time Idaho DIY elk..

OP
snopro176

snopro176

WKR
I hear ya, just going to have to cover as much ground as possible until something is turned up. This might be a rookie question but, is there often herds of just cows and raghorns/spikes? Or is there usually a herd bull in the mix by mid September?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Calbuck

WKR
I have experienced both situations where there may be mostly cows with a few spikes or there might be some branch antler bulls around too. Most of my experiences are with later Oct rifle hunts though

Usually around mid September there's a mature bull with or near the cow herds.

Wilderness does not equal getting away from people. Almost all nonresidents assume they need wilderness but those areas are getting pretty crowded between the horse hunters and now significant numbers of nonresidents. You might run into a few hunters in the field but the frontcountry areas have more elk in Idaho due to less issue with uncontrolled predation.

JakeB2010

FNG
I hear ya, just going to have to cover as much ground as possible until something is turned up. This might be a rookie question but, is there often herds of just cows and raghorns/spikes? Or is there usually a herd bull in the mix by mid September?

Easy answer to this is yes, but not always. From my experiences, a lot of that will have to do with the estrus cycles. If there is a hot cow in the bunch, there will most likely be a bull around her (likely satellites too at a small distance from the herd).

I think a lot of it has to do with heard size as well. In more open country where herds can be 40+ elk, the odds of a bull being with them is much higher because its just a matter of time before one of those cows is hot, especially that time of year. The part of ID that I hunt is really thick and the largest 'herd' we have seen is around 12 elk which was a lot for one bull to hold on to in that country. The typical band is 4 to 6 cows and we see them all the time with no bull, we just figure there is no cow in estrus and the bulls are making their rounds scent checking other bands of cows. Its funny to watch the tables turn though because the moment one comes into estrus, the valley will erupt into a bugle frenzy with bulls fighting over her.

And mid September is a safe bet to time rut activity right however last year we had stellar elk hunting the last couple days in Aug on the opener, a cow came into early estrus and the bulls were going nuts. I was lucky enough to kill one of them and my buddy was close to killing another however once her cycle was over, the woods became very quiet and we had to return back to a more early season style of calling and hunting which just meant being much less aggressive I guess.

OP
snopro176

snopro176

WKR
Easy answer to this is yes, but not always. From my experiences, a lot of that will have to do with the estrus cycles. If there is a hot cow in the bunch, there will most likely be a bull around her (likely satellites too at a small distance from the herd).

I think a lot of it has to do with heard size as well. In more open country where herds can be 40+ elk, the odds of a bull being with them is much higher because its just a matter of time before one of those cows is hot, especially that time of year. The part of ID that I hunt is really thick and the largest 'herd' we have seen is around 12 elk which was a lot for one bull to hold on to in that country. The typical band is 4 to 6 cows and we see them all the time with no bull, we just figure there is no cow in estrus and the bulls are making their rounds scent checking other bands of cows. Its funny to watch the tables turn though because the moment one comes into estrus, the valley will erupt into a bugle frenzy with bulls fighting over her.

And mid September is a safe bet to time rut activity right however last year we had stellar elk hunting the last couple days in Aug on the opener, a cow came into early estrus and the bulls were going nuts. I was lucky enough to kill one of them and my buddy was close to killing another however once her cycle was over, the woods became very quiet and we had to return back to a more early season style of calling and hunting which just meant being much less aggressive I guess.
Very good to know. Part of me wonders if we would have better chances the second week rather than the 3rd, maybe before the herd bulls get everything segregated. Dont get me wrong a herd bull would be a dream but again we're just looking for fur. Or stop overthinking it and see what happens..

I know hot rutting action is what gets us all excited about elk hunting, but I’ve had a lot of fun hunting elk early season too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JakeB2010

FNG
I feel like a lot of people think that roughly the 15th through the 23rd is absolute prime time but I honestly feel like every year is different and there is just no predicting it. No matter what week you choose, there are most likely going to be some quiet days in the woods and there is not much you can do to help it other than rapidly cover country in search of a bull that is willing to talk or play.

I know that in 2017, we experienced hot-mild weather over Labor Day and the bulls were really aggressive and then we went back on the 3rd week of Sept and got dumped on with a foot of snow and it shut the bulls down in the area I was in.

MikeG

Lil-Rokslider

I consistently see herds of cows and calves without bulls around in the first couple weeks of the season. Given that the bulls are still pretty vocal, even if the rut hasn't reached its peak.
Like Jake, said I usually see bulls with smaller harems of cows in the thick stuff where I hunt.

OP
snopro176

snopro176

WKR
As of right now we're looking at the 13th to the 20th.. looks like we'll be just creeping off of a full moon..

MikeG

Lil-Rokslider
As of right now we're looking at the 13th to the 20th.. looks like we'll be just creeping off of a full moon..

A full moon is something I try and avoid. The elk are much more active at night, and therefore less active during the day. It may not make much of a difference, but something to consider.

87TT

WKR
Never hunted 31 but I live in 22 and across the road from 32A. It will be busy. The elk will be where they want to be. They do move to the private if pushed hard and they seem to know which is which. There are a lot of roads but the elk will cross them. Glassing works sometimes but I've found that they don't stay out on the open long if at all. Been hunting here three years and just starting to figure them out and it still changes depending on pressure and weather. There is still a lot of ground without roads. You will run into hunters or at least see their sign. I have been seriously considering Brownlee as the DFG says they have over their objectives of bulls and the cows are doing good too. They are considering raising the quota on rifle bull tags which is a control hunt.

OP
snopro176

snopro176

WKR
Never hunted 31 but I live in 22 and across the road from 32A. It will be busy. The elk will be where they want to be. They do move to the private if pushed hard and they seem to know which is which. There are a lot of roads but the elk will cross them. Glassing works sometimes but I've found that they don't stay out on the open long if at all. Been hunting here three years and just starting to figure them out and it still changes depending on pressure and weather. There is still a lot of ground without roads. You will run into hunters or at least see their sign. I have been seriously considering Brownlee as the DFG says they have over their objectives of bulls and the cows are doing good too. They are considering raising the quota on rifle bull tags which is a control hunt.
What makes you want to consider brownlee? Just the talk of good numbers? In anyone's opinion, for 2 newbies who arent afraid to hike and bivy camp, would the sawtooth units be better suited? Seems the success rates are a little better and theres a ton of public land. It's hard to pass up the west side though, hearing the elk herd numbers are so good and all..

sneaky

"DADDY"
What makes you want to consider brownlee? Just the talk of good numbers? In anyone's opinion, for 2 newbies who arent afraid to hike and bivy camp, would the sawtooth units be better suited? Seems the success rates are a little better and theres a ton of public land. It's hard to pass up the west side though, hearing the elk herd numbers are so good and all..

You realize how slim the odds are for scoring a couple of Sawtooth tags? Worse than trying to get a Diamond creek tag.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
snopro176

snopro176

WKR
You realize how slim the odds are for scoring a couple of Sawtooth tags? Worse than trying to get a Diamond creek tag.

Unit 36, September archery elk?

87TT

WKR
A) there is a cap so very few tags and B) they sell out in minutes when they go on sale.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yep. 77 A tags available for archery. They'll be sold out most likely in less than 2 minutes, if that long.

jcoole4

FNG

did the motion to reduce NR tags by 10% for diamond creek pass? I read it was one of the proposed motions, but didn't see if it went into effect or not?

sneaky

"DADDY"
did the motion to reduce NR tags by 10% for diamond creek pass? I read it was one of the proposed motions, but didn't see if it went into effect or not?
I'm pretty sure it did for 2020. Instead of 4 minutes it'll only take 3 to sell out next year lol.