First time marathon

TxxAgg

WKR
Slowing down/keeping to realistic pace and hydration/fueling is my best advice to avoid smacking into the wall.
My upcoming race is a 50k.

Would you mind sharing a little about your hydration and food plan?

Owens

Lil-Rokslider
@TxxAgg will this be your first 50K?

Just some general thoughts, but your hydration and food plan is going to depend a little bit on the course and how long you think you'll be out there. A pretty typical time for a 50k with 3,000 to 5,000 feet of vert is 6-8 hours. So personally I'm looking for around 200-300 calories per hour. I usually go with Stinger Chews because I can't stand the texture of gels. I also graze and grab whatever looks good at the aid stations.

Hydration really depends on the temps and the distance between aid stations. If aid stations are about 6 miles apart (which is fairly typical), I would carry two bottles of water. More if it's hot or farther apart.

I'm assuming you've been practicing hydration and fueling during your training. So hopefully you have some idea of what works and what doesn't. But you may also want to have a couple back up options in case your "A" food isn't working for you on race day.

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
My upcoming race is a 50k.

Would you mind sharing a little about your hydration and food plan?
I don’t really follow a plan, but I eat more than I think I should and before I get hungry, same with fluids! I eat and drink as much as my stomach will handle without sloshing or being uncomfortable. I like mostly “real” foods and not much for gels. I do turkey or ham and cheese wraps, pbj sandwiches, peanut butter crackers, I grab banana chunks every aid station I see lol! some stinger waffles. you need to train your stomach and see what works for you and what causes issues before race day. Like stated a lot depends on course, temps and how long it’s going to take. I like to bring some of my own foods in case what’s at the aid stations doesn't work for me . Fluids I usually have 2 16oz bottles in my vest one tailwind and one water, warm weather I try and finish both between stations (6ish miles)

TxxAgg

WKR
Thanks guys. This is my first. They are piggy backing off the city marathon so there won't be much elevation change (Dallas). I'm thinking it will take me 6 hours...I want to make sure I finish and am not too concerned with setting any personal records just yet.

Because it's a city marathon, they'll have drink stations but no food. I'll have to bring it in a small pack so gels or easily accessible food is preferable. So far, gels and bars have agreed with me. Green grapes are a favorite but too bulky. One thing that was a mistake was goldfish...haha hard to eat when I'm breathing hard with a dry mouth.

I'm guessing getting something in my stomach every 30-40 mins is a good plan.

MJB

WKR
I've done 13 best advice once your finish your first sign up for another one 2- 3 months out! When you hit 40yrs old stop!

Once you start to rack up a few the wall is easier to over come it's all mental at that point

Good luck with the black toe nails, get a round wood bar to roll the lactic acid out of your legs and ass......it's torture to do but afterwards your recovery is so much faster.

TxxAgg

WKR
I've done 13 best advice once your finish your first sign up for another one 2- 3 months out! When you hit 40yrs old stop!

Once you start to rack up a few the wall is easier to over come it's all mental at that point

Good luck with the black toe nails, get a round wood bar to roll the lactic acid out of your legs and ass......it's torture to do but afterwards your recovery is so much faster.
Too late. I turned 40 this summer!

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
Take care of you feet, spare socks are worth the weight and time to change if it’s dirty or sandy.

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
I hear you in the goldfish! I inhaled some ritz cracker on a 50 miler this year and it bothered me for a hour or so 😡
Yes 30-40 mins sounds about right you just want to stay ahead of the hunger, once you feel hungry it’s hard to catch back up