First time Mule Deer Hunting in Utah

Hello fellow mule deer hunters-

I am new to Utah mule deer hunting and have accumulated 6 points for General Season deer and 5 points for Limited Entry deer. Over many years I have hunted California and Nevada but never Utah.
I was wondering what would be a good zone to apply this year since I never hunted Utah before.
A less crowded zone with high elevation would be preferred and I am not afraid to put in the effort in order to harvest a nice mule deer during rifle season.
Any recommendations or feedback would be appreciated :).

Thank you and Good Hunting!

Calbuck

WKR
Seems with Utah when you say "general season" that equals crowds..I'm in the same boat, having been to Utah before but trying a different zone this time around. 7 general points here.

wmr89

Lil-Rokslider

These are good resources to start your research

Reactions: OMB

LONE HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Pay a hundred bucks and call the guys at epic, they will talk your ear off about all the lovely opportunities Utah general season has to offer.

KineKilla

WKR
Utah gets crowded on EVERY unit during general season. I know, I'm a resident hunter.

That being said, if you hunt mid-week instead of the weekend (especially opening weekend) you can usually find space and occasionally deer within that space.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Like2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Utah gets crowded on EVERY unit during general season. I know, I'm a resident hunter.

That being said, if you hunt mid-week instead of the weekend (especially opening weekend) you can usually find space and occasionally deer within that space.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
Yep this is true. Me and some friends miss school and go up during the week and still see people. Definitely less people then the weekends but pretty much any general unit will have lots of people. Oh and you’ve got to love the smell of burning breaks from the city slickers who have no idea how to pull a trailer taking their massive toy haulers down the canyon. But whatever unit you draw do your best to scout!! Going up every weekend and week day we could payed off for us this year.

I called the dfg biologist for the area I was most interested in prior to my elk hunt there and he was pretty helpful with the info. It’d be worth figuring out a few likely areas you’d be able to draw and make some calls to them and see what they have to say before putting in for a unit.

LONE HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Yep this is true. Me and some friends miss school and go up during the week and still see people. Definitely less people then the weekends but pretty much any general unit will have lots of people. Oh and you’ve got to love the smell of burning breaks from the city slickers who have no idea how to pull a trailer taking their massive toy haulers down the canyon. But whatever unit you draw do your best to scout!! Going up every weekend and week day we could payed off for us this year.
This is exactly how it is for me. I've been hunting Utard for 18 years, and I will try and choose 3rd week of archery when everyone has given up, hunt the weekdays, still run into other dudes in the hills. Guys here get after it. I blame it on 50% of the population not drinking and having no other outlet.

I drew a popular unit a few years ago. The roads were crowded but if you hiked over a ridge it was not bad at all. Our hunt was the early season that was only 5 days so skipping opening weekend was not practical. The crowds did get smaller through out the hunt.

OP are you wanting to hunt rifle, archery, muzzleloader, etc? Are you hoping for more of a desert hunt, or a timber/aspens hunt?

southLA

WKR
"I'm not afraid to put in the effort in order to harvest a nice mule deer during rifle season."

Right up there with "I'm not looking for any honey holes."

ahansel

FNG
For general deer with the amount of points you have, consider the South Slope - Bonanza/Vernal unit.