First time muledeer hunt this year in CO. Help with clothes

We got drawn for late season rifle hunt. This is my first time so I pretty much have to buy everything clothes wise. Always hunted central texas. My main question is what should I get top of the line and what can I cut corners on. I Have kuiu guide pants and 200 quarter zip shirt. I know I need good base layer and rain gear. Would it be better to get a good down like the FL U, and wear my North face soft shell, or get a cheaper down and something like kuiu axis jacket.
Thanks

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved
freezing cold will take you out of the hunt quicker, mentally. don't skimp, get a good set of down jacket and pants. In my opinion, i suggest you purchase light weight rain gear (ex. kuiu northridge) that will serve not only as protection from rain, but a good wind breaker/outershell.

also a side note - make sure your sleeping gear is dialed in for the cold temps. i've learned the hard way. if any of your gear is questionable and you say to yourself, "this should be good enough" it will be the first to fail or be the most problematic.

Do you have good insulated boots? That would be where I wouldn't cut corners for a late hunt. Those Kuiu pants you have are waterproof and insulated or lined? Those should work. I like having a thin synthetic under armour style pant as well if it's really cold, but when the day warms up it is a hassle to get those off. For uppers maybe bring a water resistant packable down jacket (FL Uncompahgre or similar) and a completely waterproof shell to go over it if it gets really soggy out. Sounds like you have a few base and mid layers already. I also have a very small packable micro-puff down jacket made by Mont Bell that lives in my pack. If it gets really cold I'll double up. That thing has been an all time favorite back up layer for me.

OP
jerodmartinez
Thanks for the help. Fixing to get the 0 mountain trapper sleeping bag from cabelas. Its on sale for $110. Is there something better in that price range? Also I have a pair of UA waterproof hunting boots but they are not insulated. I guess I will start looking for boots as well. Didn't realize I was going to have to spend so much $ on clothes.

If you have uninsulated boots I would make it priority #1 to get better warmer boots and break them in prior to your trip. I used to have a pair of uninsulated Danner Pronghorns that fit me really well so I took them on a late hunt and figured I would just wear my warmest Alpaca socks to compensate. That was a mistake. My feet were cold every day and I was miserable.

As for the bag, that should work fine if you are base camping out of your truck or in a wall tent but it doesn't look very packable if you plan to carry your gear anywhere. I would personally go with a down mummy-style bag with a draft collar but those can get pretty expensive. Synthetic ones are less expensive.

The FL Uncompahgre would be useless in a late season CO hunt, and I’m from Northern MN and have syrup for blood even after living in AZ for 28 years. I’m selling mine and getting the SG Grumman. For bags, I went with a Nemo 20 degree bag. I’d probably recommend 0 degree if you can. Get a good night sleep, you’ll need it. Boil some water and poor it in your Nalgene bottle, then put it all the way down by your feet when you go to bed. It helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yeah, I have Kenetrek non-insulated Mountain Extremes. I’d never buy insulated boots unless I moved back home. Just get the correct socks, don’t skimp on those. Just my opinion though, and my feet run hot, for what it’s worth. It’s a personal thing where you know your body.

OP
jerodmartinez
Thanks for the help. Will for sure be making the boots my first priority. Looking at the Irish setter elk insulated. Read good things and are in my price range. I hate to spend too much for something I only plan on wearing every 3 years at the most. Will be looking in the classifieds for some good used stuff. Glad I found this site. Learning a lot

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the help. Will for sure be making the boots my first priority. Looking at the Irish setter elk insulated. Read good things and are in my price range. I hate to spend too much for something I only plan on wearing every 3 years at the most. Will be looking in the classifieds for some good used stuff. Glad I found this site. Learning a lot
consider Schnee's or Hoffman's pac boots. They'll outlast those setters and they'll last you the rest of your life with the rebuild option. I can vouch for the Schnees (had mine since 2007) https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/boot-month-review-the-hunter-ii-pac-boot.25589/
&
and @Matt W. is running the Hoffman's now and working on a review https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/hoffman-mountaineer-pac-boot-review-preview.162403/
both are sponsors so we appreciate any support you can give them.

All American Boy

Lil-Rokslider
You don't need to spend a ton of money on clothes. Buy GOOD boots. Dont think hunting camo clothes, but rather clothes good for winter. Wicking t shirt, fleece, down jacket from Goodwill or Eddie Bauer, gaiters, absolutely no cotton, and you will be fine.

OP
jerodmartinez
glad I found this site and started asking some questions. I was fixing to spend most of my budget on first lite because it was on sale. I was just going to take my UA hiking boots. I don’t care about camo so I will know where to look now. Waiting on a sale from camofire for my base layer. I didn’t even know about camofire until these forums.

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
glad I found this site and started asking some questions. I was fixing to spend most of my budget on first lite because it was on sale. I was just going to take my UA hiking boots. I don’t care about camo so I will know where to look now. Waiting on a sale from camofire for my base layer. I didn’t even know about camofire until these forums.
If you want to go with merino wool, I think icebreaker had a sale on some of their last year's stuff right now. I also use minus 33 which can normally be found for sale on Amazon from time to time.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
We got drawn for late season rifle hunt. This is my first time so I pretty much have to buy everything clothes wise. Always hunted central texas. My main question is what should I get top of the line and what can I cut corners on. I Have kuiu guide pants and 200 quarter zip shirt. I know I need good base layer and rain gear. Would it be better to get a good down like the FL U, and wear my North face soft shell, or get a cheaper down and something like kuiu axis jacket.
Thanks

Late season as in 3rd or 4th rifle or a December hunt? What elevation and how are you camping?

OP
jerodmartinez
Going the first week of November. Not sure if that’s considered late season or not.

Mine has served me well for winter hunts and winter fishing in Colorado. Have a versatile layering system.

True that on the layering system. I just felt it wasn’t as warm as what a puffy should be. I think a good merino with some fleece would be just as warm and not as bulky. It definitely an individual thing.

You don't need to spend a ton of money on clothes. Buy GOOD boots. Dont think hunting camo clothes, but rather clothes good for winter. Wicking t shirt, fleece, down jacket from Goodwill or Eddie Bauer, gaiters, absolutely no cotton, and you will be fine.

I totally agree with this - and the comment about sleeping system is also dead on. Be honest with yourself about the fact this is your first rodeo and it's going to be a bit challenging. Don't plan on hiking in 10 miles to 12000 feet and taking a monster animal. Depending on the unit there is nothing wrong with camping at a KOA and planning on staying within 3 miles of the truck. I'm taking a buddy for his first mule deer third season Colorado this year and the priority is getting him his buck. It's really easy to let scope creep make you think you need 2000 bucks worth of FL and a custom rifle to hunt. Enjoy the Colorado experience, get a little uncomfortable and stay safe enough to do it again.

OP
jerodmartinez
I think I am going to go with the Irish setter elk hunter boots. Either the 200 or 600 insulation. Seam to be good boots from what I have read. I went to Cabelas Friday to try them on but they didn’t have any. They had another Irish setter that felt pretty good and a pair of danners I liked. Trying to keep the boots around $200

E2Eastman

FNG
I have hunted 3rd season Colorado the last three years, outside of base layers, my layering system includes grid fleece, puffy pants and jacket, rain gear. All items are First Lite That has kept me warm down to -1 degree.

Rimrocks

FNG

Agreed!
too many people spend money on gear they don’t need. Is it nice? Yes. Does it work better? Sometimes. Do some situations call for it? Yes. But For me I would rather put more Money toward actual hunts, than gear. But I realize this also depends on your disposable income. And the type of hunting you do.