First time muledeer hunt this year in CO. Help with clothes

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
For what it is worth, I spend a lot of time in very cold temps and have dialed-in a layering system that works. I won’t recommend specific items because I don’t think it matters as much as people would think. Meaning the specific items don’t make as much of a difference as having a good layering system does.

I wear a synthetic or very thin merino shirt as my first layer with either synthetic or merino boxers and merino socks (I prefer full cushion darn tough in the cold). I layer a long sleeve, zip neck mid weight merino shirt on top along with midweight merino bottoms. I then add a mid weight or heavy weight zip neck fleece shirt and put on my outer layer pants. I find that a thin layer next to skin moves moisture away. The second layer merino keeps me warm even in cold temps when sweating and the fleece sweatshirt draws the moisture out of the merino. I stay very dry and warm. I then layer some sort of shell (Softshell or hardhsell depending on wind and temps). I pack a pair of puffy pants and a puffy jacket. I put them on when I stop and sit.

i would also stress that in addition to warm boots, good merino socks, good gloves or mittens (my fingers get cold fast), a couple of hand warmers just in case, and a good hat are pre requisites. I like merino beanies or wind proof beanies like the Sitka Jetstream. I carry it in my pack and wear it when I get cold. Otherwise I wear a ball cap. If you keep your extremities warm, you’ll often be able to last longer in the field thus increasing your chances.

Good luck.

ps: while I can’t recommend specific pieces of gear, because they often fit differently and come at different prices, I will suggest some brands that are reliable, well made and not too expensive. These include; Helly Hansen for base layers or fleece mid layers, minus33 for merino, under Armour has some good base layers (and puffy jackets), mountain hardware and rei make good soft shells and good rain gear often on sale (marmot precip is good but not very durable), LLBean and Eddie Bauer make good pants and rain gear. Id also recommend you consider the Lykos puffy jacket from Kryptek or shop camofire for discounts from the hunting brands. If you look around you can save money and get gear that will hold up.