First time NR South Dakota Draw 2021

JENSEN

FNG
Hey everyone,
My buddy and I both drew ST1 tags for South Dakota. Looking at the application form it looks like, if I am understanding it correctly, we will be able to hunt majority of SD. My goal is to get on some muleys while my buddy simply wants to get either a whitetail or muley; with that being said I would not pass up a good whitetail. We are planning on going out October 1-9 and am wondering if anyone would have any insights into general areas that will allow us to get onto deer. I have been primarily looking at the far western part of the state near WY and Neb. I am more than willing to put in the work hiking - this has been a common theme I have seen when folks talk about finding deer in SD. Are there any other tips or tactics that folks would be willing to share? Again, not looking for specific locations per say but general areas such as units, terrain to look at via web, etc. Also, for those of you who are familiar with SD and archery, what is the pressure generally like during October and how do you set up for camp?

Looking forward to any feedback and insights.

WCB

WKR
ANYWHERE west of the river will have both deer in general. Obviously river/creek bottoms or AG will generally have whitetails also. But I have seen whitetails in the badlands so there is that.

Pressure depends on where you are at. Any thing easy to get to close to towns and obvious will have pressure. You are obviously going NR opener so pressure will no doubt be the highest for the season and I think they sold like 1500 more tags this year (I could be wrong). Everybody and their brother will hike a long ways these days. One tip though....Hiking 12 miles a day is different than hiking 3 miles to get to a spot before first light.

Fatcamp

WKR
If you are running into people, move. No reason for it. There is a pile of public land, and a bunch of rookies tromping all over will just make the deer sketchy.

I heard someone say on a podcast recently that you should be looking for places advantageous to the deer, not for you. I thought that made sense. Of course, dang things have a way of hiding in plain sight as well.

OP
JENSEN

JENSEN

FNG
Thank you for your insights. Getting up early to hike back shouldn't be an issue, and it makes sense because not everyone wants to get up and hike a few hours before sunrise. I'll definitely plan on doing some road scouting and looking for fellow hunters, and try to make the most of my time. Good news is that it's basically a straight 8 hour drive for me from SE MN so if the first trip isn't fruitful in a harvest I can at least make another weekend trip. I'm assuming advantageous spots would be if you're low their high to catch wind and thermals, and also being in thick drainage, ravines, etc. I'm really excited to get out there. As for spotting scope it does seem to be a common piece of equipment that comes to use; would that be a good investment vs simply tromping around and looking through binos?

KurtR

WKR
you will be hunting during antelope rifle season . Every one thinks far west but there is alot of areas between there and the river that are really good might save your self a few hours of driving. Up early and glass glass and glass. Binos on a tripod find more deer than running around the prairie

OP
JENSEN

JENSEN

FNG
Thanks, Kurt! I have been looking at badlands, national buffalo GAP NTL Grass land areas as well. I plan to do a bunch more research and look into areas as to not be one dimensional and limit myself; last thing I want to do is do what everyone else does. Again, thank you for your feedback and help.

WCB

WKR
Thanks, Kurt! I have been looking at badlands, national buffalo GAP NTL Grass land areas as well. I plan to do a bunch more research and look into areas as to not be one dimensional and limit myself; last thing I want to do is do what everyone else does. Again, thank you for your feedback and help.
No offense but the two spots you are looking at is probably what every one else is doing also. IMO try to look at places without names on them.

OP
JENSEN

JENSEN

FNG
No offense but the two spots you are looking at is probably what every one else is doing also. IMO try to look at places without names on them.
No offense taken! I'll definitely do some looking elsewhere to avoid limiting myself. If there are strategies to improve my odds I will be all about that!