First time out west advice wanted

Hello all looking to head out west and hunt. Don’t really know what exactly I want to do. If you were from the south and wanted to hunt out west what would you suggest? Gear, places, etc? Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ATL-Kyle

FNG
Hello all looking to head out west and hunt. Don’t really know what exactly I want to do. If you were from the south and wanted to hunt out west what would you suggest? Gear, places, etc? Thanks for the help!

Not sure when you're wanting to go or if you're planning to go guided or DIY but I did my first Western hunt last year for Antelope in Wyoming and I can't imagine a better place to start. Google should be able to help you find tags you can easily draw, even if it's not necessarily in Wyoming as well as essential gear needed. From one newbie to another, welcome to the forum!

Not sure when you're wanting to go or if you're planning to go guided or DIY but I did my first Western hunt last year for Antelope in Wyoming and I can't imagine a better place to start. Google should be able to help you find tags you can easily draw, even if it's not necessarily in Wyoming as well as essential gear needed. From one newbie to another, welcome to the forum!

Couldn't agree more. That's the way I go started several years ago.

Bl704

WKR
Depends on what kind of experience you're after, weapon, like / dislikes, fitness, willingness to 'embrace the suck', etc.

Other than antelope, upland game birds, mule deer, elk, bear, wolf, fishing...?

Weapon - bow, rifle, muzzle loader, shotgun?

Like altitude or Prairie?

Snow or no?

fatlander

WKR
Pick an OTC unit. Poor over maps. Pick a bunch of likely spots. Buy good boots that are broken in. Be in your best shape. Go hunting.

You don’t know what you don’t know and it’s really hard to grasp what you’re in for until you do it. Read up in the forums and listen to podcasts. The first trip will be a success if you see elk in bow range. Enjoy the ride and embrace the suck.

Don’t talk about unit numbers, ever.

Hit the search function before asking super broad questions, there’s droves of info already out there.

Good luck!

Heading on my first western bowhunt this fall as well. Joined the forum about a month ago and have been looking at my damn phone ever since! Tons of info from past threads that can help you out through the search bar 👍

OP
D
Thanks for the advice. I do think I want to try the antelope first but just truly in a different world with the public land and the sheer size of everything. I’m used to small tracts and a large one being 100 or so acres. As far a antelope goes what all would you recommend first boots, pack, glass?

rayporter

WKR
fatlander said a lot -ya dont know what you dont know. and no amount of talking or reading will convey it.
i have taken a few guys on their first trip and talked for hours to prepare them and every time i heard "you said it would be hard, but you never said it would be this hard"

iowawhitetailnut

Lil-Rokslider
I enjoy reading all the newbie posts. Makes me feel slightly better that i am not the only one totally overwhelmed! Last fall i did a wyoming rifle antelope hunt. Had a great time, was a very easy hunt. Could not believe the number of antelope, they were everywhere! Dont need much for special gear for antelope based on my limited experience. Biggest thing for me is shooting distance. I come from a place that 200 yard shots are extremely long. It was tough to get within 400 yards of those darn goats. Good luck!

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the advice. I do think I want to try the antelope first but just truly in a different world with the public land and the sheer size of everything. I’m used to small tracts and a large one being 100 or so acres. As far a antelope goes what all would you recommend first boots, pack, glass?

Glass is very important for antelope hunting. You probably won’t be walking miles every day; it’s a spot and stalk game. If you can hit accurately at 300-400 yards with your deer rifle you’ll be good. Weather can be hot so ice and a cooler for meat are critical.

7-Pointers

Lil-Rokslider
If you're heading to the mountains, exercise your legs and lungs til your brains fall out, then do more. Nothing affects trip enjoyment and success more directly than fitness in the mountains for us flat-landers.

Glass is only important if you're looking for a trophy, within most people's shooting ranges you can easily tell a legal shooter buck without and confirm doe are doe. This being your first trip I doubt you're planning to be picky about horn size. If you can stretch to 600 yards it'll be a cakewalk to tag out on antelope, pretty easy if you can shoot 400-500 also. From what I've seen once you start getting to around the 500ish range they bolt, they know the distance most Fudds are flinging lead at them and keep that buffer. Having said that, my brother in law killed a good buck at 120 yards and my last buck was inside 300 and buck before that about 80 yards because he ran the wrong way when the herd spooked (lol). Seems like the doe are what we all ended up taking long shots at. Knee pads are extremely useful as you'll be crawling over small humps trying to close distance and cactus and thorns can and do bite you like a freaking snake, leather gloves would be nice too. For the boots you want more of a light hiking boot. I used a pair of Under Armor that were so light there were almost more of a high top running shoe and they were great. Pack frame is useful but we also simply shouldered quarters and hiked them back, we're not talking miles in over mountainous terrain like an Elk packout. Get the OnX maps so you don't question boundaries, our antelope hunting has been without it but a buddy missed out on a nice buck because we were arguing over whether we were on public or not, I was right and we were legal but by the time I convinced him the buck took off.
edit: Also layer up with orange shirts so you can take them off. An orange t-shirt is awesome when you're 3/4 mile from the truck in the sun carrying back quarters after a cold morning. You don't want to have to wear your jacket packing out just to be legal on orange requirements.

Last edited:

KHNC

WKR
If its antelope, pick an area and just go, with a rifle if you can get a tag. If after elk, hire a guide! Next time you can try it on your own. Most first timer DIY elk trips are a bust.

joney

FNG
My first western hunt was this past September in Colorado. I thought i was in shape enough for it. I was so wrong will be putting in much more work for next time.

Beendare

WKR
Hours of reading by searching old posts here with the search feature...so many topics with good info.

My advice; Just do it. The journey is one worth taking. I was just talking elk hunting with a buddy this morning IN FEBRUARY!!!!

...its that addicting.

_____

Hey, I live in the south in NC at low altitude. I've been out west a number of times. Training helps, There are some altitude pills that help a little. But it takes a little acclimation at altitude before you can really adjust. Good news is that Elk are are often at high altitude but Antelope are not generally found at the higher altitudes. It's much easier to adjust to 6K ft than it is to adjust to 11K feet.
Just take your time and you'll be fine. You don't need to run up the hills.
If you never been out west you will love it though. It's amazing country that no picture can fully capture. You gotta see it in person to fully appreciate it.