First time out west.

PMcGee

WKR
I'm heading to SE CO the last two weeks of sept. I have a para tarp marmot 20 deg bag and a pad. I was wondering if that will do or should I take a bivy.

gelton

WKR
What elevation? I was in SW Colorado at 10,000 ft during the 2nd week of October and woke up to 6° one morning. With a 20 degree Marmot bag, sleeping pad and a 4 season tent I was okay but I would have frozen my butt off with just a tarp. Not sure about the end of September but probably better safe than sorry.

whitingja

WKR
Bring some thermal underware and you should be ok. You might get a little chilled at night....but you will survive.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Guess it depends on how cold you sleep. I personally don't use that light of a bag I'd take a warmer and leave the zipper down to regulate the heat. A beanie will help to keep you warm at night.

slim9300

WKR
I like a UL bivy to keep the dew/condensation off my bag and to protect my inflatable pad from the ground. Take a look at the TiGoat Raven Omni bivy. It's 8 ounces of cheap insurance and should help keep you a tad warmer if temps drop into the low 20s.

By the way. I run the same bag and a Megatarp.

OP
PMcGee

PMcGee

WKR
That was my plan to sleep in some clothes if I got to cold. I think I'm going to look into the bivy for extra protection.

KMT

WKR
The last couple of years, i have noticed lows in the 20s. Highs can be in the 60s. It hasn't snowed much. But 5 years ago we had 18" of snow after a very nice day. The weather can change drastically. Usually it's pretty warm in September and early October though.

jmez

WKR
A lot will depend on how cold or warm you sleep. We usually go 2nd and third week of September. Base camp is about 10,500 and spike camps are never below 11,000. I take a 30 degree bag and have not had any issues in Central Co.

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely take the bivy sack. Last year on our backpack elk hunt we camped at just under 10,000ft in SW CO ten miles south of the town of Del Norte. I used a tarp tent along with a good down sleeping bag. I was glad that I brought my bivy along.