First Time Pheasant Hunt

Going on my first pheasant hunt later this month. Tagging along with my brother-in-law and some family friends for a one-day guided hunt in Kansas. It likely won't be my last pheasant hunt but I don't see myself going near enough to justify spending top $$$ on gear. I hunted quail here in SW OK regularly before numbers began to decline 2 years or so ago. So I have a decent bird vest, obviously a shotgun, etc. Is there anything you would recommend a first-timer to purchase or do before heading out?

Comfortable boots depending on far your walking. Last pheasant hunt on went on a couple weeks ago I soaked both pairs of boots and my tennis shoes dropping through ice. If you can stay warm and dry you should be alright. Brush pants and leather gloves are also very nice to have.

OP
R
I may sound insane but I work/wear every day in waterproof Redwing Chukkas that I find extremely comfortable. I figured I could get by just fine with them.

Are O/U shotguns a better choice? I prefer and shoot my auto better. Never against a new gun purchase

KurtR

WKR
I may sound insane but I work/wear every day in waterproof Redwing Chukkas that I find extremely comfortable. I figured I could get by just fine with them.

Are O/U shotguns a better choice? I prefer and shoot my auto better. Never against a new gun purchase
stick with the semi while every one is reloading your still killing. Just my perspective from guiding a bunch of years

I would also stay stick with the auto unless you want and O/U and need an excuse. Sounds like you have your footwear dialed at least for this trip. I haven’t done a guided pheasant hunt yet but they probably won’t have you walking frozen or partially frozen marshes.

OP
R
What is everyone’s preferred shot size or load? Don’t personally reload and I haven’t looked for shotgun shells lately. Are they hard to find and overpriced like rifle?

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
Pheasant hunting is one of the least gear intensive types of hunting out there! Comfy boots, a vest, and a gun you're confident with is about all you need. Well, until you start getting into dogs...

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
What is everyone’s preferred shot size or load? Don’t personally reload and I haven’t looked for shotgun shells lately. Are they hard to find and overpriced like rifle?

I shoot lead 5's all year, 4's if its windy. Some guys will shoot 6-7's, but thats typically on pen raised, game farm birds. Shells have been pretty tough to find.

If I have to shoot steel, I'll typically do 2's or 3's.

I have to shoot steel so 2’s and 1’s for me. Up here since duck season has been over we have lots of shell availability now vs earlier in the season.

OP
R
Good to hear! My brother had a pretty darn good dog we quail hunted over. We gave him to a family friend when quail got hard to find. Couldn’t hunt him enough.

Mosby

WKR
#6's on preserves. 5"s on wild birds. If I have to use steel shot, I use #2 or #3 shot.

Shells can be hard to find...depending on your area.

I run an O/U because I feel like it makes going hands on with my dogs easier/safer and the ability to break it open and throw it over your shoulder to get the use of two hands to inspect a paw or give out some food/water is nice. If I wasn't the one running the dogs I'd be gleefully blazing through shells with my semi .

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

arock

Lil-Rokslider
Pheasant hunting is one of the least gear intensive types of hunting out there! Comfy boots, a vest, and a gun you're confident with is about all you need. Well, until you start getting into dogs...
Running dogs, participating in their training and watching them work the field is what makes it worth while I think.

Just watching good dogs work is a really cool thing to see as well. They really put the icing on the cake.

Anyway, good boots, weapon you can shoot reasonably well, a vest but maybe the outfitter would provide that and that's about it.

I'll echo lead 4 or 5 shot. Later in the season if the birds aren't holding well, I usually go to 4s. If you are hunting over pointers and the birds are holding tight, 6s or 7 1/2s are pretty good too.

I like the over under for the transition times in a pheasant hunt. We typically hunt small walk in access areas and are constantly in and out of the truck going to new spots. The over under lets me get unloaded and show safe easier than the autoloader. My third shot from a semi auto is usually just a salute to a bird I already missed twice anyway.

I'd toss in a camelback or water bottle holder if you have one, good pair of tweezers, and sunglasses. Beyond that, it sounds like you are all set.

Bkp

FNG
Depending on what type of country you will be hunting theres a pretty good chance of running into quail also. I would have some 7 or 8 shot in my vest just in case.

bdg848

WKR
Gaiters! Grass, dirt, sticks, snow will get in there and ruin a good time if you don't wear them. You don't need a new gun unless you just want one. 6-4 shot.

chad.vis

FNG
I only buy steel and thanksgiving on I'm using #2s to BBs. Less damage to the meat and fewer cripples.