First time sitka buyer

Hey all, I am looking to purchase some sitka gear but am confused what I should get. I primarily hunt whitetails from a stand. Where I hunt the weather changes wildly. It can be 60 one day and 30 the next. Any help would be appreciated and if you need any mroe info for suggestions please let me know. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For temps from 60-30 in a treestand, i would look at the stratus line, with the midi pant and jacket. Those pieces will get you very comfortable in that range of temps and protect you from noise and wind.

I would recommend the stratus bibs over the pants as they protect more for when it is colder and still allow good enough temperature regulation for sitting in the 60’s.

The midi gear is plus or minus, if you already have some good mid layers to insulate for colder weather.

Beagle1

Lil-Rokslider
For temps from 60-30 in a treestand, i would look at the stratus line, with the midi pant and jacket. Those pieces will get you very comfortable in that range of temps and protect you from noise and wind.

I would recommend the stratus bibs over the pants as they protect more for when it is colder and still allow good enough temperature regulation for sitting in the 60’s.

The midi gear is plus or minus, if you already have some good mid layers to insulate for colder weather.
Just what I would recommend. Might add the Stratus pants for hunting in the 50s - 60s.

Jbxl20

WKR
Core lightweight hoody
Most of my gear I switched to kuiu and then first lite for merino. I still prefer to wear my Sitka core lightweight hoody. I like the built in face mask. Works well as a baselayer or by itself in warmer early season temps

OP
N

Where I am at it can get up to about 80 and down to 15 at most. Sometimes it gets lower but not all the time. I’m not sure if this changes you suggestion or not. Also how cold can you go with the stratus?

Where I am at it can get up to about 80 and down to 15 at most. Sometimes it gets lower but not all the time. I’m not sure if this changes you suggestion or not. Also how cold can you go with the stratus?

I hunt southern OK so temps range from 90’s in early bow season down to near single digits (i have hunted the coldest at 11 degrees but calm). The stratus set is too warm for 90’s or even 80’s. Where it shines in the temps from 60 down to really about upper 40’s by itself (assuming a base layer and a shirt above the base), and with layers it easily hit the 30’s comfortably. I can do the 20’s with a good base, shirt, mid layer and the stratus jacket, or i will use my fanatic with a base in the 20-30’s. I have both stratus and fanatic jackets, but only the stratus pants and bibs. I have comfortably taken the stratus bibs with a base and puffy layer to 11 degrees, and while it wasnt perfect it was easy to do in a treestand and my feet colded out way before anything else

The stratus pants and bibs are rhe only sitka pants i own. I have kuiu attacks i use for early season, and Kuiu axis for cooler weather by them selves or with a base, or when active hunting. Those are both great pieces from kuiu but not as quiet as the sitka stratus gear. The stratus lowers come out when i sit a treestand and want to be quiet.

I have way too much clothing but i have several types of clothes for different types of hunting and a bit redundant for multiple hunters to use at the same time. I can answer questions on a lot of sitka and kuiu clothes, but therr is also a lot i dont own. I just happen to be a primarily WT hunter and have a lot of experience with that lineup.

OP
N
I hunt southern OK so temps range from 90’s in early bow season down to near single digits (i have hunted the coldest at 11 degrees but calm). The stratus set is too warm for 90’s or even 80’s. Where it shines in the temps from 60 down to really about upper 40’s by itself (assuming a base layer and a shirt above the base), and with layers it easily hit the 30’s comfortably. I can do the 20’s with a good base, shirt, mid layer and the stratus jacket, or i will use my fanatic with a base in the 20-30’s. I have both stratus and fanatic jackets, but only the stratus pants and bibs. I have comfortably taken the stratus bibs with a base and puffy layer to 11 degrees, and while it wasnt perfect it was easy to do in a treestand and my feet colded out way before anything else

The stratus pants and bibs are rhe only sitka pants i own. I have kuiu attacks i use for early season, and Kuiu axis for cooler weather by them selves or with a base, or when active hunting. Those are both great pieces from kuiu but not as quiet as the sitka stratus gear. The stratus lowers come out when i sit a treestand and want to be quiet.

I have way too much clothing but i have several types of clothes for different types of hunting and a bit redundant for multiple hunters to use at the same time. I can answer questions on a lot of sitka and kuiu clothes, but therr is also a lot i dont own. I just happen to be a primarily WT hunter and have a lot of experience with that lineup.

The temperatures I hunt are very close to the ones you hunt in. I am thinking the stratus might be a better option than fanatic because it normally doesn’t get below 20. What do you do if it rains or snows? Also what is your opinion on the stratus and fanatic sets based on what I’ve said.

The last couple of seasons in southern OK have been quite dry, but i can say my son has worn his fanatic in a cold drizzle and was fine, never got wet inside and never got cold. Snow shpuldnt be a problem with either sets.
I was gutting a deer this year and got decent blood on my stratus bibs and sorayed them iff with a hose, and never got wet inside. The dwr is really pretty good. If there is a driving rain, i pretty much dont hunt, and do have some rain gear for those days if i want to hunt. But in a light rain/drizzle/mist, the stratus will be great and keep you dry inside.

For what you are describing, i think the stratus set would work great for you. They are made to layer some underneath, so i would order true to your size and you should be good to go with layers.

OP
N
It has been quite dry here as well. What do you normally layer under the stratus based on the different temperatures. Also what do you wear on those really hot days.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
Hey all, I am looking to purchase some sitka gear but am confused what I should get. I primarily hunt whitetails from a stand. Where I hunt the weather changes wildly. It can be 60 one day and 30 the next. Any help would be appreciated and if you need any mroe info for suggestions please let me know. Thanks

How tall are you? Stratus set is more flexible temperature wise than the Fanatic gear. Reason I asked for your height is the Stratus pants are available in talls, but they stopped making the bibs in talls. I've used stratus gear late season in Idaho on bowhunts all the way to midwest stand sits, the Windstopper was a lifesaver. Easy to layer up or down to adjust to conditions. Fanatic is a dedicated cold weather set. Has to be cold for that to be used.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Beagle1

Lil-Rokslider
I can push the Stratus down into the 20s by loading up on under layers but at a certain point my comfort level also goes down then. The Stratus shines in the 30s, the Fanatic in the 20s. Rain (unless a steady downpour) and snow won’t bother you in either.

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you Nathanpezold for asking this, as I was wondering the same thing with the same issues.

OP
N
How tall are you? Stratus set is more flexible temperature wise than the Fanatic gear. Reason I asked for your height is the Stratus pants are available in talls, but they stopped making the bibs in talls. I've used stratus gear late season in Idaho on bowhunts all the way to midwest stand sits, the Windstopper was a lifesaver. Easy to layer up or down to adjust to conditions. Fanatic is a dedicated cold weather set. Has to be cold for that to be used.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I’m 5’11. What do you typically layer under the stratus for the various temperatures?

Hall17

FNG
I own a good bit of Sitka gear. I use it for turkey and PA whitetails.

Stratus bibs and jacket - great piece for wind blocking and warmth

Layers
* Midi Jacket
*Midi pants
* Fanatic hoody

For earlier in the season I like
* Traverse pant
* Apex hoody
* Ascent shirt

I have more pieces but these are my go to pieces most of the season

WoodBow

WKR
I hunt similar temps and the problem i have is that the morning may be 30 but its 70 but the time im hiking out. Stratus bibs and jacket are awesome for those temps but you need to have regular pants underneath to strip down to if you are hiking very far at all.

My system is whatever normal hiking type pants you prefer with zip off merino base layer underneath if the temps justify it. If im going in very far I will pack the bibs to stand so i dont get too sweaty. Then I will also remove them to hike back out once it warms up.

Top layers are a thin merino top of your choice. Then a synthetic fleece mid layer of various thickness depending on temps. I have a sitka core heavyweight hoodie that sees a ton of use. The fanatic hoodie is the same thing but with a kangaroo hand pouch. If it is real cold I will wear the equinox hoodie instead. Then stratus on top.

I am a lot like Hall above:
Tops
80-80’s light wt hoody top
70-80’s will vary top based on wind but anything from light wt hoody, Kuiu promerino, or even fanatic hoody if overcast and low 70’s
60’s above tops with something over top like a kuiu strongfleece, peloton 240, or stratus jacket depending on where i am hunting
50’s is usually a base layer with a light mid like fanatic hoody or promerino, and stratus jacket
40’s i will use above but use the midi jacket as mid layer instead
30’s i will typically get into the fanatic jacket with a base fanatic hoody and jacket
20’s add the midi jacket in place of fanatic hoody
Teens base, fanatic hoody/strngfleece, midi, fanatic jacket.

Bottoms:
70-90’s attack pants
60-70’s kuiu axis pants or stratus depending on if treestand
50’s stratus pants
40’s base with stratus bibs
20-30’s base, midi pants or joggers and stratus bibs
Teens base, midi or puffy pants, stratus bibs

Of course overcast vs sun, expected precip, wind can all make a change up or down one range. But that pretty much covers all my different options. As i mentioned i have quite a bit if redundancy due to having multiple hunters(me and my son and/or SIL) typically wearing these clothes. So i have multiple pieces from both sitka and kuiu that are pretty similar in design and function.

If i had to pick one set, it would he the stratus set for WT tree-stand hunting for sure.

OP
N
I am a lot like Hall above:
Tops
80-80’s light wt hoody top
70-80’s will vary top based on wind but anything from light wt hoody, Kuiu promerino, or even fanatic hoody if overcast and low 70’s
60’s above tops with something over top like a kuiu strongfleece, peloton 240, or stratus jacket depending on where i am hunting
50’s is usually a base layer with a light mid like fanatic hoody or promerino, and stratus jacket
40’s i will use above but use the midi jacket as mid layer instead
30’s i will typically get into the fanatic jacket with a base fanatic hoody and jacket
20’s add the midi jacket in place of fanatic hoody
Teens base, fanatic hoody/strngfleece, midi, fanatic jacket.

Bottoms:
70-90’s attack pants
60-70’s kuiu axis pants or stratus depending on if treestand
50’s stratus pants
40’s base with stratus bibs
20-30’s base, midi pants or joggers and stratus bibs
Teens base, midi or puffy pants, stratus bibs

Of course overcast vs sun, expected precip, wind can all make a change up or down one range. But that pretty much covers all my different options. As i mentioned i have quite a bit if redundancy due to having multiple hunters(me and my son and/or SIL) typically wearing these clothes. So i have multiple pieces from both sitka and kuiu that are pretty similar in design and function.

If i had to pick one set, it would he the stratus set for WT tree-stand hunting for sure.

Thank you so much for this detailed response. I really appreciate it. I think I am going to do what you said and get the stratus set for the versatility. My tolerance to the cold is fairly high and I think I could bare it out if it was in the 20’s. Also what base layers do you typically run? Right now I think I would buy the stratus jacket, stratus bibs, core lightweight hoody, Celsius midi jacket, fanatic hoody, and midi pant. Any thing else you think I should also consider buying?