First time sitka buyer

Beagle1

Lil-Rokslider
The Fanatic Hoody is so versatile it is almost a must have. If I wanted to save money I would not spend big dollars on the base layers and mid layers. For stand hunting buy cheap or on sale wool or synthetic garments and just match it to the temps you are hunting in. You will get the hang of it fast enough and stay warm. When I was younger this is the route I took. But if you want to spend the money have at it.

As I mentioned before though loading up with layers under the Stratus to get through cold weather works but at a certain point as you get older you will grow tired of it and start wanting the Fanatic.

OP
N
The Fanatic Hoody is so versatile it is almost a must have. If I wanted to save money I would not spend big dollars on the base layers and mid layers. For stand hunting buy cheap or on sale wool or synthetic garments and just match it to the temps you are hunting in. You will get the hang of it fast enough and stay warm. When I was younger this is the route I took. But if you want to spend the money have at it.

As I mentioned before though loading up with layers under the Stratus to get through cold weather works but at a certain point as you get older you will grow tired of it and start wanting the Fanatic.

That’s good to know…I think I will eventually get the fanatic set. Is the only main difference between the lightweight hoody and the fanatic hoody warmth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fanatic hoody is a good piece and is warmer and has hand cuffs that serve as a minor glove for mild cool weather. The core light wt hoody is a very light piece that is used only in very warm weather or as a base layer (i typically dont as i dont like a bunch of hoods on my base layers, but i have used it as a base and it works well to move moisture). The fanatic hoody is made more for static hunting while the core is a versatile wamr weather static or base for active hunting.

For bases i have mostly stuff from cabelas. Tops are the cabelas ecws mapped shirt, the cabelas middle wt thermal shirt, and a myriad of just dry fit shirts i will use when not terribly cold (50’s). For bottoms i have cabelas icebreaker merino mapped bottom, a nonbranded ski heavy thermal that is synthetic materials, UA compression pants, and recently got a pair of erberlestock net bottoms that i wear usually in conjunction with another layer and i prefer these way more than the UA compression pants for warmth feeling. Both move mousture well but the UA make me feel cooler while the net allows more warmth feeling.

Thank you so much for this detailed response. I really appreciate it. I think I am going to do what you said and get the stratus set for the versatility. My tolerance to the cold is fairly high and I think I could bare it out if it was in the 20’s. Also what base layers do you typically run? Right now I think I would buy the stratus jacket, stratus bibs, core lightweight hoody, Celsius midi jacket, fanatic hoody, and midi pant. Any thing else you think I should also consider buying?

Hard to go wrong with that lineup. Will get you in a lot of temps comfortably.

I would highly suggest scouting for used pieces here and look for sales and stuff. Camofire has sitka on sale not uncommonly and sometimes you can snag a piece for 30-40% off. I have gotten majority of my stuff at good discounts by buying used or just being patient, but if push comes to shove, you can always buy it new.

OP
N
On the base layers is it worth it to get the merino layers or does it really just depend on weather. Also what piece should I get first? Thanks for all your responses.

Beagle1

Lil-Rokslider
In warm weather I would just use a cheap synthetic base layer. In cooler weather around 200 merino. I would not worry about the brand. I have the cheap and expensive merino baselayers and see little difference between the two.

As you likely know good head coverings make a big difference in staying warm. When you are hunting in cold weather I would recommend the First Lite Tundra balaclava and the Kuiu Kenai bomber hat. They are worth the money and better than the comparable Sitka head gear.

Rick M.

WKR
Core lightweight hoody
Most of my gear I switched to kuiu and then first lite for merino. I still prefer to wear my Sitka core lightweight hoody. I like the built in face mask. Works well as a baselayer or by itself in warmer early season temps
The core lightweight hoody is my favorite piece of clothing. It's incredible. I have also switched mostly to Kuiu, but I still love my core hoody. It works in such a wide range of temps. It's still comfy in the 60s, but keeps me warm into frigid temps. It's a quintessential layering piece.

Second to the core lightweight hoody is my Kuiu Kenai Ultra. Pairing the two covers 90% of hunting conditions.

OP
N
In warm weather I would just use a cheap synthetic base layer. In cooler weather around 200 merino. I would not worry about the brand. I have the cheap and expensive merino baselayers and see little difference between the two.

As you likely know good head coverings make a big difference in staying warm. When you are hunting in cold weather I would recommend the First Lite Tundra balaclava and the Kuiu Kenai bomber hat. They are worth the money and better than the comparable Sitka head gear.

I’ll definitely check those hats out. Also what gloves do you typically use.

OP
N
The core lightweight hoody is my favorite piece of clothing. It's incredible. I have also switched mostly to Kuiu, but I still love my core hoody. It works in such a wide range of temps. It's still comfy in the 60s, but keeps me warm into frigid temps. It's a quintessential layering piece.

Second to the core lightweight hoody is my Kuiu Kenai Ultra. Pairing the two covers 90% of hunting conditions.

From what I’ve heard and read the core lightweight does sound amazing. Also what made you switch to kuiu?

Beagle1

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll definitely check those hats out. Also what gloves do you typically use.

When it is cold I usually wear Sitka Fanatic gloves with chemical packs in either the Sitka muff or the muff in the Sitka Fanatic vest. When it is not too cold just the Fanatic gloves will do. If it is wet out I wear cheap jersey gloves while getting into and out of the stand since I know they are going to get soaked. Keeping your hands dry is the main problem with keeping your hands warm.

I have a drawer full of gloves and mittens that I don’t use even though they are plenty warm because they just don’t function that well for hunting. I like to be able to use my hands when I hunt.

Rick M.

WKR
From what I’ve heard and read the core lightweight does sound amazing. Also what made you switch to kuiu?

I have gear from First Lite, Sitka, and Kuiu. For some reason I just go to my Kuiu gear more than the others. They fit me the best and have performed flawlessly for me thus far. First Lite tends to be baggy / saggy on my frame, and Sitka tends to run a bit too athletic for my liking. Kuiu has a nice balance - fitting well without causing discomfort while sitting / squatting / climbing. Also, Kuiu just feels very well-made, and I believe their rain gear is the best bang for the buck on the market.