First time trad

Moosehunter

Lil-Rokslider
I realize there's a ton of threads like this on here but none that really match my specs or wants.

Looking at swapping to trad before the new year. I have owned a compound for about a year and am getting a little burnt on all the technology gone into the new bows.

I am 18 years old and was lucky enough to kill a bull elk with my Prime Rize this elk season,probably the best feeling in the world but for some reason I feel the trad world calling. I'm kinda a gear guru and have a ton of gear including my very nicely set up compound but something in me wants to try the stick.

Ok about what I want. I'm 6 ft with 29 inch draw length and looking for a one piece wood longbow. I ultimately want about 40-43 lbs at my 29 inch draw. I no a lot of people will recommend the sammick sage and such but I'm looking for something a bit more trad than that. Also the reason for over 40 lbs is cause of game laws and due to funding I can't really justify two bows. Mainly just a doe hunting bow and and ultimately would be confident enough by next fall to do a spot and stalk antelope hunt. Price range is $400 for bear bow.

Just asking for opinions and pointers.

Thanks!

Last edited:

jaybird76

FNG
I think for the price it is hard to beat a Bear Montana or Martin Savannah if you're looking specifically at longbows. I also have a bodnik slick stick that I really enjoy shooting but it tends to be more sensitive to form issues for me

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
A used tomahawk would be my pick.....coming from a guy with some top shelf customs in my rack. The tomahawk is a steal and as accurate as anything I've ever shot with almost zero noise or shock.

R Davis

FNG
Old Mountain Mesa from 3 Rivers Archery. It’s $260 so that leaves plenty of money for other stuff you need. I would get the lightest draw weight that laws allow.

Beendare

WKR
Just shoot as many bows as you can before purchasing. You'll know which one is right.
Of course, this ^ is the best advice on which bow....

A little friendly advice; I wouldn't bag your compound. To put it bluntly; A 18 yr old wants to kill stuff....and a stickbow is the toughest weapon to pile animals up with. The degree of difficulty on hunts besides treestand whitetails goes way up. Personally, I think you will get frustrated.

No reason why a young guy shouldn't have a bunch of successes to build on. Its the, "Don't quit your day job" thing.....a tough lesson for an 18 yr old.

Stalking to 40 yds is hard enough...that extra 20 yds can be a ballbuster....

solid advice on shooting as many bows as you can before buying. its addicting. youll have a stable full of bows before you know it. dont shy away from the cheaper lower end bows either. Some of the best ones that I could shoot were 200 or less. I do have some fancy ones though

Just shoot as many bows as you can before purchasing. You'll know which one is right.

^^^BOOM!^^^

Everything Beendare posted I have experienced firsthand. Trad will call you but it will also beat the crap outta you after a while. You'll see.

slatty

WKR
Hey not sure where you are but if you can handle a trip to Colorado, RMSgear has a huge stable of used bows and probably a great place to pick up a first one. That said, i've always shot Bear bows and happy with them. My only complaint with them is their handles are on the thinner side and i'll work my way towards a custom bow when I can but from what I understand, coming from a compound a thinner handle is generally appreciated.

OP
M

Moosehunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the response! I'm still searching and still not sure what to get. Hoping for a nice used bow but I guess we'll see. I'm going thru Colorado the end of January and hadn't thought of the rms option but will consider. Was hoping for something sooner tho.

OP
M

Moosehunter

Lil-Rokslider
I also realize trad is a sacrifice but I've always been sorta a traditionalist and I'm not doing this cause I think I'm gonna kill lots of game. I'm doing it so anything is a trophy and I can get more out of shooting a doe and such. It's all about the hunt even tho I've been a trophy Hunter most of my life. I feel like I've got a few of my goals, shiras moose, lots of whitetail, elk, bear and I think I could handle not killing. I've always loved the kill but have went without a whitetail buck for 3 years now, only due to trophy standards. Hoping to just get into trad for the hunt! Thanks again guys...

Imagine that. A young guy who already recognizes he needs more challenge and maybe a bit less technology afield. That's fairly unusual in the early years of hunting, but I have seen it happening with greater frequency.

Getting the right bow (and arrows!) in hand is...in my mind....very important for that first big jump. A bow that's difficult to shoot will hamper success, just as will arrows which aren't ideal. You're going for that sweet spot: a bow that feels good in the hand and launches a clean arrow. Arrows should be a very good match for the bow, as they are critical to results. A great bow and wrong arrows have derailed many a shooter trying to succeed with a longbow or recurve.

I think the best thing a guy can do is be patient. Yes, you want a bow yesterday and I did too. A better strategy is to enjoy the search and look for that bow which fits and feels right.....just like a pair of good hunting boots. You'll only know which bow (or boots) fit best by trying as many as possible. It helps if you have a guide or mentor to help you avoid things that can mess you up. But try not to fall in love with the first pretty bow you meet. Be discerning and take your time. Above all, I would NOT buy any 'traditional' bow without getting it in my hand and shooting it first...unless I had an option to return it.

Best of luck in your hunts.

Felix40

WKR
It sounds like you havent really shot any longbows so here is my advice. D style longbows like the bear montana and a couple others mentioned have a lot of hand shock and are very slow. I know they look cool and traditional but I would try to steer you toward a reflex/deflex style bow made by a real bowyer. Check out the leatherwall and trad gang for used bows. There are endless options and anything reputable with a little curve to the limbs will be a step in the right direction.

Sell the compound if you want....I did when I was in high school and I dont regret it. You will become a much much better hunter. I missed out on having a bunch of big giant bucks on my wall because of it though.

BAKPAKR

WKR
It sounds like you havent really shot any longbows so here is my advice. D style longbows like the bear montana and a couple others mentioned have a lot of hand shock and are very slow. I know they look cool and traditional but I would try to steer you toward a reflex/deflex style bow made by a real bowyer. Check out the leatherwall and trad gang for used bows. There are endless options and anything reputable with a little curve to the limbs will be a step in the right direction.

Sell the compound if you want....I did when I was in high school and I dont regret it. You will become a much much better hunter. I missed out on having a bunch of big giant bucks on my wall because of it though.

I bet the giant ram with your recurve this year took some of the sting out of the missed opportunities at those bucks 😀

GLB

WKR
Do it! Archery is awesome , all archery. Find the stickbow you want, stay low on the poundage at first and seek instructions. When you are ready hunt some small game with it and you will be on your way.

Also keep the compound and shoot both, it’s ok. We get stuck on a label sometimes and think that it‘s either one or the other.

OP
M

Moosehunter

Lil-Rokslider
Ya I've been starting to lean a bit more toward a reflex deflex design and have been checking places for used bows. With my draw length I'd like something about 64 inches plus,kinda hard to find used bows that long with draw weight around 40#. Getting real enthused tho, u guy's have always been an inspiration to me knowing lm talking to some of the best.!

Beendare

WKR
I'm doing it so anything is a trophy and I can get more out of shooting a doe and such. It's all about the hunt ...

Great attitude^
My reasons for shooting a stick was a bit different- I didn't enjoy shooting a compound as much after stacking up piles of animals...not as much of a challenge...though I do like the meat.

Yeah, I may have been a bit harsh in my previous assessment. Stickbows are just so much fun to shoot. If you live in an area with whitetails...then setting up for the right shots really doesn't hamper you much with a stick bow.

So much has been written in these forums already on which bow and how to start....I can tell you this; the bow you start with probably won't be the same bow you end up with down the road...so maybe don't stress that first choice.